I see the issue with Apple provided calendar app.

Originally I had the sound associated with the calendar as the "classic->crickets".
    In iOS9, this seems to have gone away, so while disappointed, I can understand the sound coming out as though there was no tone.
    So I purchased a 3rd party cricket alert tone, and assigned that to calendar, and it worked that evening.
    Next day I'm back to vibrate, but no tone. Worse still, when I went to re-assign the purchased alert, it was paying as null on the phone.
    So in iTunes I removed it, synched, re-added and synched. Worked that night and broke next day again.
    Next I tried a different tone. Worked that night, but failed again after a few hours. This time I was able to re-assign it, i.e. it hadn't been clobbered like the purchased one.
    I also noticed right away that a couple of my apps no longer have properly working sound effects immediately following my iOS update. The sounds are actually hit or miss depending on if the app is running in the background or not. If I keep force closing all my apps out then they will work otherwise I just get the badge notifications but no sound to alert me. It's very frustrating.
    Petulinek likes this.
    10-01-2015 11:19 AM
    Along with the no sound from notification issue, I'm also experiencing an issue where notification times are wrong on the lock screen. I will get a message and 10 minutes later, it'll still say I received it 1 minute ago. Not too big of a deal but still annoying. Hoping a software update will fix these issues

Well new phone will see
    Keep us posted on how it goes. I'm tempted to take my phone and get it replaced also.
    10-02-2015 01:43 AM
    Along with the no sound from notification issue, I'm also experiencing an issue where notification times are wrong on the lock screen. I will get a message and 10 minutes later, it'll still say I received it 1 minute ago. Not too big of a deal but still annoying. Hoping a software update will fix these issues

Keep us posted on how it goes. I'm tempted to take my phone and get it replaced also.
    New phone makes no difference. I upgraded to a 6S 2 days ago and it too has the same issue.
    10-02-2015 05:50 AM
    New phone makes no difference. I upgraded to a 6S 2 days ago and it too has the same issue.
    That sucks. I'm still going to get it replaced anyway because of the other issues I'm having with it hanging, freezing, and buttons not working
    10-02-2015 12:26 PM
    It happened to me once with Kakaotalk.
    10-05-2015 08:15 AM
    I've actually had the opposite happen to me recently where the there is a sound but no notification. This happens on simple everyday items such as email. I have multiple email accounts on my phone and I've noticed I'll receive an email from account 2 only and the sound for account 1 will sound, etc...I set them each up with very distinct customized alerts.

I want to say I've noticed notifications with no sounds though I am at a disatvantage as my iPhone 6 suffers from a bit of a switch issue in that it doesn't always stay muted and sometimes it mutes even though it is in the "up" position to allow for sounds, etc...
    10-05-2015 02:20 PM
    I've had a random vibrate every blue moon like I have a notification & there's nothing there.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus  using Tapatalk
    10-05-2015 02:22 PM
    Many of us have had those "ghost" sound alerts. They are usually an app or email sound alert that has no other alert type on in notifications. I had an app that did it's own sound alert. It was just a toggle. It was all that was on. Check notifications thoroughly as well as email alerts.
    10-05-2015 04:06 PM
    Is anyone else having the issues with the messages app? Seems most people are having it with third party apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-05-2015 07:41 PM
    I have discovered the source of my issue - lack of text (SMS or iMessage) alerts... I had turned the sounds off on my Watch. (Apple Watch app > My Watch tab > Sounds & Haptics > Silent Mode > [OFF] and Alert Volume all the way down.

I noticed that no sounds were coming to either phone or watch. I just changed the settings (Sounds & Haptics > Silent Mode > [ON] and moved the Alert Volume Alert slider all the way to the right)... next test text caused the sound to return to both my watch and my phone.

Reported same to Apple.
    10-05-2015 10:04 PM
    I don't have the watch. And it's intermittent. Sometimes they ding, other times, not. It's getting annoying. I keep missing messages and emails in Gmail.

10-06-2015 07:35 AM
    Could either be a speaker issue or a software issue. Have you tried doing a hard reset? If that doesn't work you might want to set your phone up as a new phone, wait on installing additional apps (other than stock iOS apps), and see if you're getting your notification sounds. Then, slowly start adding apps back in. I almost wonder if you have an app hijacking your phone audio.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk
    10-06-2015 07:45 AM
    I don't have the watch. And it's intermittent. Sometimes they ding, other times, not. It's getting annoying. I keep missing messages and emails in Gmail.

Try going to Settings > Sounds > Reset your alert tones for text and mail. To reset them, just change the tone to a different tone, then change it back.
    If that doesn't work...
    Try toggling off iMessage, sign out, then sign back in and toggle back on.
    Go to Settings >Mail, Contacts and Calendar > delete Gmail account > Add Gmail account back in.
    Make sure notifications are set correctly in Settings > Notifications
    10-06-2015 07:46 AM
    I've done all that. Nothing seems to have fixed it. It's intermittent, so it's almost impossible for me to pinpoint. I just now updated to iOS 9.1 beta and all seems to be well. Thanks for the help though.

10-06-2015 07:13 PM
    WhatsApp updated this morning - notification sounds still intermittent at best - bug has to be in iOS 9 itself - hoping for a prompt release of 9.1
    10-07-2015 08:50 AM
    WhatsApp updated this morning - notification sounds still intermittent at best - bug has to be in iOS 9 itself - hoping for a prompt release of 9.1
    Did you notice if the whatsapp change log said anything about fixing this problem? Just wondering if developers know of the issue or is it all on the iOS?
    10-07-2015 09:44 AM
    Did you notice if the whatsapp change log said anything about fixing this problem? Just wondering if developers know of the issue or is it all on the iOS?
    10-07-2015 10:18 AM
    There has been no specific mention of either notifications or iOS 9 in any of the logs for WhatsApp updates ...
    10-07-2015 10:19 AM
    I think it has been established that the bug is in iOS and not the apps. I have Tweetbot 4 and Fantastical, both of which have been fully updated for iOS 9. Both of them have this issue.
    10-07-2015 11:24 AM
    Try going to Settings > Sounds > Reset your alert tones for text and mail. To reset them, just change the tone to a different tone, then change it back.
    If that doesn't work...
    Try toggling off iMessage, sign out, then sign back in and toggle back on.
    Go to Settings >Mail, Contacts and Calendar > delete Gmail account > Add Gmail account back in.
    Make sure notifications are set correctly in Settings > Notifications
    No deal. Its not something set in the settings. It happens every so often on the mail app, messenger, twitter, builtin calendar app. Its definitely an iOS issues since the update.
    10-07-2015 02:36 PM
    I think it has been established that the bug is in iOS and not the apps. I have Tweetbot 4 and Fantastical, both of which have been fully updated for iOS 9. Both of them have this issue.
    As do the builtin apps, mail, calendar, messenger
    10-07-2015 02:37 PM
    As well the sound notifications for new posts to followed threads in this (iMore) as well as iCafe forums .... ( and again, it's intermittent , making troubleshooting impossible )
    10-08-2015 09:22 AM
    I am also having the same issue with no notification sound from time to time. Also since I upgraded to 9.02 with my 6s, I cannot receive any notification from Facebook Messenger anymore. Just wonder if I am the only one here...
    10-13-2015 01:33 AM
    You are far from alone... I'm only hoping that 9.1 will bring relief - the fact that it's being touted for 'new emoji' is so minor compared to hopefully fixing some ( or all ) of these issues . Personally the intermittent or absent sounds affect WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, GMail, and Outlook - I don't run a big bag of apps though ...I have not seen 'iOS 9 compatibility' mentioned specifically in any of the updates for those apps, but all have been updated at least once, some twice, since iOS 9 was released .
    10-13-2015 07:32 AM
    Heya,

I've had the same issue since upgrading to 9 including a restore to defaults. I primarily notice it on imessage. Usually I do a hard reset to solve it, but I feel like thats sorta bad for the phone. While reading through this thread I tried toggling the mute button on off about 4 times. Wouldn't you know it the next text that came in made a sound. We'll see if this stays consistent or not.
    10-13-2015 08:08 PM
121 12345