Apple Maps

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This isn't an iOS 9 question since this has been around for a few months, but how does Apple Maps know if there's a traffic accident causing the delay?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Apple Maps uses traffic data from several 3rd party sources that provide data in real time or near real time for displaying into to users.

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, but how do 3rd party sources know? I always understood that Waze relied on its users to report them. Does this come from police reports? That seems like it would be too slow for a real-time solution.

Reparkable

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, but how do 3rd party sources know? I always understood that Waze relied on its users to report them. Does this come from police reports? That seems like it would be too slow for a real-time solution.

Apple uses TomTom for its traffic information. It even says so right in the app

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

It appears that TomTom is the primary source of traffic data for Apple Maps. You'd have to check with TomTom to see their sources, but some of it is user-sourced. You can get the complete list of third party data sources for Apple Maps by tapping the circles I in the bottom right corner.

Some traffice data sources are crowd-sourced (Waze, forex), and others use reporting data from highway and police departments or dedicated traffice sources.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner