Ad-Blockers

anon(9132077)

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
So I have downloaded 'Crystal', one of the most popular, well-rated ad-blocker apps on the App Store. I have activated it in Safari's settings as I've been instructed to do so by the app... Yet, I have seen zero difference in ads popping up while surfing the mobile web.

Did I miss something?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not familiar with the app and I do not use any ad-blocking apps so I don't know if you've missed something or not. Hopefully, someone who's familiar with that app will respond soon...:)

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Try force quitting Safari and then visit a site you know has lots of ads. I see a difference on CNN, Yahoo, iMore - all the major sires etc.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Found it in FAQ - it has to do with allowing Crystal blacklist to update. You can get around it by opening the crystal app manually from time to time. If your blacklist version is 0 see the other item in FAQ.

My blocklist version is not automatically updating?

The blocklist auto-update feature relies on Background Fetch being turned on in the main Settings app, and Crystal is not force quit through the multitasking launcher.
If you would like to update the blocklist manually, you can do this by opening the Crystal app. Every time it launches, it automatically checks and updates to the latest blocklist.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Found it in FAQ - it has to do with allowing Crystal blacklist to update. You can get around it by opening the crystal app manually from time to time. If your blacklist version is 0 see the other item in FAQ.

Actually opening the app must've done something... Went to the same sites again and ads are gone....

Opening the app did it for me. I searched here to see some tips and saw the info above. I had purchased the app and enabled in settings but never opened it. Once I did the ads disappeared!

Here's a before and after. The only difference is opening Crystal and going back to Safari and refreshing the page.

Before:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442772539.995580.jpg

After:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442772559.354192.jpg

anon(9132077)

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I got it to work, thanks guys. It's almost not worth it. I don't want to have to open the app constantly to refresh it and reload web pages just to hide one on a page. I would like it if it was a setting to be automatic... I'm probably just going to delete it

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I got it to work, thanks guys. It's almost not worth it. I don't want to have to open the app constantly to refresh it and reload web pages just to hide one on a page. I would like it if it was a setting to be automatic... I'm probably just going to delete it

It'll be in your purchased list then. If they update with improvements, you have it. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro