IOS 9 on older iPads

DML1

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Several IOS 9 features do not work on the older iPads:

Ad blockers in Safari
Split View
Slide Over

I also cannot get the new Notes app Sketch feature to work on my 3rd Generation Ipad (IPad 3) Has anyone got this working on an IPad 2 or 3?

Any other disabled features?:raised-eyebrow:

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
It's well documented that:
Split view only works on iPad Air 2.
Slide over only works on iPad Air/Mini 2 and newer.
Same with picture-in-picture.

For drawing in notes, make sure you select the option to "Upgrade Notes" otherwise you won't be able to.

Not as well documented, but Ad blockers are only available on devices with 64-bit chipsets.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Ad blockers... I've not tried...

Split View, Slide Over -- never expected those because they were demoed as being for the newest devices...

Sketch - same as Split View & Slide Over... a feature that's not available on an older device.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Just tried the sketch thing on my iPad 3 and can confirm its not available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Sketch isn't working in the new Notes app on my iPad3 either. Hopefully that is addressed on the next update.
It's "not working" because the feature is not available for the 3rd Gen iPad...and won't be. Some features of iOS9 are not available on older devices.

rcereghino

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
It's "not working" because the feature is not available for the 3rd Gen iPad...and won't be. Some features of iOS9 are not available on older devices.

This sucks. It was clear that The split screen feature was not available on older iPads. But sketch ? Nothing was said that it wouldn't work on older devices. Btw I don't believe there is a technical hurdle preventing it, there are numerous drawing apps that work fine. This is a bummer and was one reason for upgrading to 9. Wtf Apple???

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Ad blockers... I've not tried...

Split View, Slide Over -- never expected those because they were demoed as being for the newest devices...

Sketch - same as Split View & Slide Over... a feature that's not available on an older device.

Sketch is working on my 4.

IMG_4830.jpg

jaya_man

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Nice info guys... I too can't seem to get sketch working on my iPad 3... Now I know why... Tried googling and no info found except for slide over, split view and PiP only being available for iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 4 and newer devices... One other iOS 9 feature not available on iPad 3 is Low Power... Bummer...

iOS 9 is working great on my iPhone 6... Cant test iOS 9 features on my old but still reliable iPhone 4S as it is still taking forever to download either through iTunes and OTA...

If anyone has a link to iOS 9 feature availability across devices, would be highly appreciated.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative