After upgrade to iOS9, iCloud backup says 0 bytes, and all apps have "no data"

Step9024

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
The same here guys.. i've downloaded the upgrade on Wednesday and installed it on my iPhone 6 and iPad mini 2 yesterday, through iTunes.
After the installation, i've noticed that iTunes didn't synchronized the apps on both devices and also that the iCloud backup disappeared.

Later i'll try to restore again both devices and reinstall again ios9.

If you have other tips please share.

P.s. i hope to have wrote good in english eheheh

Fatboyslick

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Exact same issue and I have plenty of space - sub'd to the new 50GB pricing

However, where is the option to manually back up to iCloud? This is nowhere in my settings anymore

ridiculocity

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Same thing here. Did a backup several hours before iOS 9 dropped and after the update my backup which is normally around 4gb for my iPhone 6 is zero bytes. My iPad mini retina is fine and has no problems. I'm now waiting for my iPhone 6 to manually backup hoping the problem is fixed. Really frustrating after all of the beta testing you would think this crap would be sorted.

My current backup has been set on 46 mins to go for 30 mins lmao.

fischmanr

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I was having the same problem after upgrading an iPhone 6 and iPad mini 2 to iOS 9. Spent some time on the phone with AppleCare and after getting escalated to a supervisor she helped me get the problem resolved. What worked on both devices was doing a "Reset Network Settings". After that the issues cleared up

One word of caution. We both noticed on our respective devices that for some reason after the upgrade iCloud backup was trying to backup photo libraries. Both the supervisor and I noticed that our use iCloud Photo Library option was turned off after the upgrade.

She said she was going to open an internal ticket on this

I did have to reset network settings again after enabling iCloud Photo Library to get backups to play again

Step9024

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
I was having the same problem after upgrading an iPhone 6 and iPad mini 2 to iOS 9. Spent some time on the phone with AppleCare and after getting escalated to a supervisor she helped me get the problem resolved. What worked on both devices was doing a "Reset Network Settings". After that the issues cleared up

One word of caution. We both noticed on our respective devices that for some reason after the upgrade iCloud backup was trying to backup photo libraries. Both the supervisor and I noticed that our use iCloud Photo Library option was turned off after the upgrade.

She said she was going to open an internal ticket on this

I did have to reset network settings again after enabling iCloud Photo Library to get backups to play again

Thanks but for me it didn't change anything, unfortunately.. :(

i forgot to tell one thing: on my iPad mini 2, the apps were installed messy and it didn't install all the apps that i had before the upgrade.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Just keep trying to back up. Try late at night or real early in the morning. I just backed up with iCloud. I had the same issue yesterday. It's the servers. Nothing is wrong. Your last back up is safe.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442582694.637573.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442582709.506899.jpg

Step9024

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Little update:

on iPad mini 2 i've solved the "apps problem" downloading ios9 from another site, doing another restore and then reinstalling ios9: the sync was successful.

The problem who remains is iCloud, it doesn't see any past backup and it doesn't complete a new one.I think there are some server issues(i hope!)

Sharif Al-Alam

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
I had the same issue
i upgrade to IOS9 and all of my notes are disparaged. I tried to access from pc In chrome browser and also the notes are missing. and i was so worried about them. so contact in apple-care they called me right-away we talk 6-7 times in 2 days and after all these conversation i got noting. so i asked them to cancel the case so i can handle it from my Side.
and i must let you know..
in the same day.. i restore my Iphone 5s from the pc backup - 7 times, but i could not get those notes back... after that..
by God Helps i got an idea to downgrade... the os... from 9 to 8.4.1 as it was...

and So i did it.. guess what? i got everything back as they was before... (Alhamdulillah / Praise be to Allah)

I hope this will help you... if you do the things correctly..

Hare is what you have to do...

1. download the latest firmware you was backed-up on your pc...
i was IOS 8.4.1... so i download the firmware from net. there is 2 kind of firmware for each phone.. so be careful to find yours... mine was
GSM+CDMA--

2. put your phone in recovery mode..

3. connect to iTunes and pc/shift+restore... mac/alt+restore ... and select your firmware... and restore..

4. while you are in 8.4.1... Restore from your backup..

5. while its finis... you are done... you have everything....

if you need any helps plz contact me.. on Sharifgd on facebook
Thanks

...Sorry for my poor English...

GadgetGuru72

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Mine finally went through last night. I'm in good shape now! Thanks for the advice!

Just keep trying to back up. Try late at night or real early in the morning. I just backed up with iCloud. I had the same issue yesterday. It's the servers. Nothing is wrong. Your last back up is safe.
View attachment 91816

View attachment 91817

For those of you claiming that their iCloud backups eventually worked, go back and take a closer look and make sure everything seems legit.

My iCloud backup appeared to work last night as well. It says that it completed at 1:23am. However, it says the backup is only 836MB, and it should definitely be larger than that. And, for the individual apps, the data listed is definitely wrong. For example, I only have 3 photos in my Camera Roll, but it says it's taking up 120MB. And, I have a ton of files in GoodReader (probably at least 300MB worth), but it says GoodReader is only taking up 26MB.

So, even though it appears at first glance that the iCloud backup did eventually work, I do not think it worked correctly. At least in my case, that is.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
After upgrade to iOS9, iCloud backup says 0 bytes, and all apps have "no data"

For those of you claiming that their iCloud backups eventually worked, go back and take a closer look and make sure everything seems legit.

My iCloud backup appeared to work last night as well. It says that it completed at 1:23am. However, it says the backup is only 836MB, and it should definitely be larger than that. And, for the individual apps, the data listed is definitely wrong. For example, I only have 3 photos in my Camera Roll, but it says it's taking up 120MB. And, I have a ton of files in GoodReader (probably at least 300MB worth), but it says GoodReader is only taking up 26MB.

So, even though it appears at first glance that the iCloud backup did eventually work, I do not think it worked correctly. At least in my case, that is.

That's what I thought too. I spoke with Apple Support yesterday. He looked at my iCloud account and said I had 3 back ups. He said not to worry, that all was well. We'll see.

Last edited:

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Same issue I think it has to do with the iCloud strange updates. I rebooted and then backed up all good now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AndrewChang

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem as well (as does my wife and daughter). All of our iOS devices now show the backup as 0kb.

I can't delete the old backup either. I get an error message stating "Cannot Delete Backup. This backup cannot be deleted at this time."

The backup is still there (as indicated by the amount of iCloud space being used), but backups will not work. If you try to manually backup, it gets about 90% finished and then either hangs indefinitely or stops with the error message "The last backup could not be completed"

Tried a number of fixes including reboot, reset network settings but still no luck.

Trying a restore now to see if that works.

UPDATE: The restore did not work. I'm out of ideas of what to try :(

Last edited:

Omar Hreirati

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, I had the exact same problem. And I just registered to let you know how I got it solved.
First of all, what fischmanr said is correct. For some reason, after upgrading to iOS 9, photos are automatically set to On again, so if you don't have enough space make sure to turn them back off.

Here's what solved my problem:
1- Go to Settings-->iCloud-->Storage-->Manage Storage-->Select your device that you are having problems backing up.
2- Wait for the spinning wheel to finish (loading icon beside backup options). THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT (for some reason!).
3- Scroll down and click "Show all apps" (it's stupid, but trust me this is the only way I could do it)
4- Scroll all the way down, and click "Delete Backup" and then confirm deleting. If you got an error message saying that "the backup can't be deleted, try again later" that means you didn't wait enough. Let it finish loading.
5- After Deleting the backup successfully, go back to the main iCloud settings page, and go to Backup. If iCloud Backup is still On, turn it off then On again. If it was off already, just turn it on.
6- Go to the same page in step 1 again, and make sure that photos are off (if you want them off), otherwise just make sure that all the options are ok as you want them.
7- Go back to the Backup page and click "Back up Now".

It took me about 5 hours to get it done, but it now works fine.

Note #1: If after step 7 you got the same error message that it wasn't completed, just press "Back up Now" again, it should continue and finish. I got it to work from the second trial.

Note #2: If the whole thing failed, just keep repeating and cross your fingers :D it will hopefully work! My friend had to do the whole thing 3 times...

Best of luck guys, and I hope I helped.

StuartBB

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi Omar, Thanks for your post. I too have the same problem .. It's clearly a generic iOS 9.0 problem ... I cannot believe it's busy server related as some people posted . It's failed for me at all times of the day!

I noted that all the APPs have turned green in iCloud Storage, so it tries to backup everything ... I turned most off, one by one, and tried the Backup again ... It failed, but much quicker !

Regarding your solution, isn't the Delete Backup step a gamble? I'm not super technical, but isn't that deleting the good backup from pre iOS 9, stored on iCloud? So if a workaround doesn't work, there's no backup left on iCloud?

I don't have too much confidence in what's being backed up when it still shows file sizes of zero ..

I'm thinking either just to wait for the next bug fix release of iOS9, or go back to 8.4.1

Omar Hreirati

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Yes, that's correct. Everything is turning back to On by default which is weird. And no it's not just busy servers, I tried all the possible times during these 3 days.

Regarding your concern, after moving to iOS 9 I noticed that the iCloud backup is being replaced anyways. That means that the backup is turning on all the apps and options in iCloud and tries to back everything up from scratch, so it's overwriting rather than updating. The thing is, when it's failing, I noticed that you won't have a backup anymore. As you said, we are seeing the device having 0 bytes backup size, and I saw that I gained back the space that was taken by my backup. I even checked my iCloud storage on my iPad and MacBook, and they both did't show that a backup for my iPhone is kept in the servers.
So I think there's nothing to lose.

And you can always go back old school and backup using iTunes! :D

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem as well (as does my wife and daughter). All of our iOS devices now show the backup as 0kb.

I can't delete the old backup either. I get an error message stating "Cannot Delete Backup. This backup cannot be deleted at this time."

The backup is still there (as indicated by the amount of iCloud space being used), but backups will not work. If you try to manually backup, it gets about 90% finished and then either hangs indefinitely or stops with the error message "The last backup could not be completed"

Tried a number of fixes including reboot, reset network settings but still no luck.

Trying a restore now to see if that works.

UPDATE: The restore did not work. I'm out of ideas of what to try :(

Why would you want to delete your back up?

I had this problem 2 days ago. Apple told me it's the servers. Not to worry. He looked at my iCloud account and said I had 3 back ups. I later tried to back up again and it finally did.
So I show a back up now of over 500 mb. But 0 bytes for next back up. Not worried. Just keep trying to do what you need to do. Maybe try late at night.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442685427.050488.jpg

StuartBB

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Via Settings / Storage & Cloud Usage / .. in the iClou section, I went to Manage Storage, and I see the last successful backup from 8.4.1

Seems Backup on 9.0 just doesn't work, and any workaround is likely to give unpredictable results. If I'd get it to backup, I have no confidence what it will backup, when it's telling me all the Apps are 0kb as per previous postings and screenshots.

It's something Apple must be aware of needs fixing as a top priority for their next version

Omar Hreirati

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
If it's the servers. Then why are my 4 other devices running iOS 8 and connected to the same network can backup seamlessly?
I love Apple support, but in weird problems like this they are useless, they just don't understand the issue.
I'm not claiming that I do, but at least I found a work around that solved it for me and all people I know.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2