I think that the issue is both with iOS 9 and with the server. For now, I reverse back to the old fashioned iTunes backup while waiting for Apple to fix the issue.
    This might be true, because it failed again with me today. However, I tried again after few minutes and it worked
    09-20-2015 10:22 AM
    IT all sounds far too unreliable and/or inconsistent .... I'm going to stick with 9.0 for now, assume a fix will be quite soon, not risk deleting what I know is a good backup from 8.4.1 of a few days ago, and stop losing hours on it .. !

See you at 9.01 or whatever !

It is unreliable. But as I told you before, your backup from 8.4.1 is 99% broken already. I don't think you can use it anyways.
    But yea, there's no harm in waiting I guess.
    09-20-2015 10:23 AM
    I've tried restoring the network settings to no avail. My settings at iCloud.com indicate that I'm still using ios8 even though I've done the upgrade. I have a sneaking suspicion it's an Apple glitch and they'll send out an update to have us all smiling again as they usually do. In the mean time I've backed up my device to the computer in the old fashioned way through iTunes ....just in case!
    09-20-2015 07:08 PM
    I have the Exact same issue where i no longer have any free space after Upgrading to iOS 9 & my iPhone 6 Plus will no longer Backup to iCloud.
    The Apple Rep tried everything she could including resetting the Network settings to no avail, so i am now in the Process of doing a Clean iTunes Upgrade, then Restore from my iTunes Backup and i do hope it works.
    (But aren't we suppose to get back at least 2GB From iOS 9 Upgrade) ?

I do believe that there is a Bug somewhere that's causing the Problems and i do hope Apple solves it Expeditiously.
    09-21-2015 12:11 AM
    I have the Exact same issue where i no longer have any free space after Upgrading to iOS 9 & my iPhone 6 Plus will no longer Backup to iCloud.
    The Apple Rep tried everything she could including resetting the Network settings to no avail, so i am now in the Process of doing a Clean iTunes Upgrade, then Restore from my iTunes Backup and i do hope it works.
    (But aren't we suppose to get back at least 2GB From iOS 9 Upgrade) ?

I do believe that there is a Bug somewhere that's causing the Problems and i do hope Apple solves it Expeditiously.
    Try my method before performing a clean upgrade if you want. It might work with you
    09-21-2015 02:34 AM
    Thank you! Ever since I started on IOS 9 PB I haven't been able to backup my 6 plus to ICloud. Backup to ITunes worked fine. I have done most of the things posted by others. to no avail. My backup said zero, with all apps zero and turned on. I couldn't delete this until I scrolled down the complete list just as you said. Then it worked I was able to delete the "empty" backup, too weird. My storage increased by about one GIG so something was there, just not showing. Toggled backup on/off/on, crossed my fingers, then hit backup now. Worked perfectly! Thanks again.
    09-21-2015 10:55 AM
    Thank you! Ever since I started on IOS 9 PB I haven't been able to backup my 6 plus to ICloud. Backup to ITunes worked fine. I have done most of the things posted by others. to no avail. My backup said zero, with all apps zero and turned on. I couldn't delete this until I scrolled down the complete list just as you said. Then it worked I was able to delete the "empty" backup, too weird. My storage increased by about one GIG so something was there, just not showing. Toggled backup on/off/on, crossed my fingers, then hit backup now. Worked perfectly! Thanks again.
    Glad it worked with you! Thanks for reporting back
    09-21-2015 02:38 PM
    I had the same issue on Wednesday. Called Apple. They said it was the servers. They said wait until late at night to manually back up to iCloud. He checked my iCloud account and said I had 3 back ups. Next morning early I was able to manually back up. Give it time. You probably have an iCloud back up already. Try it late at night.
    09-21-2015 03:52 PM
    I had that same issue. But stupidly, on Friday, September 18th, I was already in the Apple Store cause I had a genius bar appointment for my iPad cause it was constantly crashing (which was happening before the iOS 9 update). They were looking to see how big my iCloud back up was for my iPad and since it was constantly crashing, obviously it was taking some time to see. So I pulled out my iPhone to check and noticed that my backup for my iPhone said 0kb. So I asked why. He immediately grabbed my iPhone and said it must be a glitch cause he can see in the system that the backup should be 3gb. So he restored my iPhone and iPad.

My iPad works great now. But as for my iPhone, it deleted a lot of apps in the restore process. And it was asking me to sign into an iCloud account that wasn't even active anymore... I went through with the restore anyways. So idiotic on my part. Cause now I've lost a lot of very important apps. I'm desperate to get back my signature app. It's a notepad app that also saves photos using a drawing to sign in. That app held photos of all my serial codes for my homeowners insurance as well as many important financial documents that were only saved there (which I understand now, was also extremely stupid of me - you should always back up your backup). I've tried twice to get the app back. Each time, I watch it download and during the install, it disappears before my eyes. I also tried to manually re-download the app. But it's not listed in my purchases. I've searched the App Store and cannot find it there either. I've also went into iTunes and transferred purchases to see if i could find it there. No luck... iTunes actually shows NO apps at all under the apps tab... I have no idea how I am able to track down this app with all of my data in tack.

Since this disaster, I've turned off iCloud backups in hopes that someone will know what to do, so I have a iCloud backup that includes said app with all my data still in it.

If ANYONE knows what to do I would immensely appreciate it.
    09-21-2015 08:59 PM
    To all the people saying that the backup eventually worked, have normal backups continued on a routine basis?

On iOS 8.4.1 and earlier, my iPhone used to backup to iCloud on a nightly basis every time I plugged it in at the end of the day.

On iOS 9, since the upgrade, I have had 1 seemingly successful backup. But, there are still two problems:

(1) I have no faith that the backup worked properly, because the amount of data listed for each app appears to be way off. I only have 4 photos in my camera roll, but it says camera roll is taking up 120MB, which is not possible. I also have hundreds of MBs of data in GoodReader, but it shows GoodReader only takes up 23MB of space in iCloud (again, not possible).

(2) Although I have had that one backup, it has not backed up since that one time.

Additionally, to all of those people claiming it's a server issue, that definitely does not appear to be the case. That is, I don't think it's JUST a server issue. I say that because after upgrading my two devices to iOS 9 and having this problem, I decided against upgrading my wife's devices. So, my devices (which are on iOS 9) don't backup, while my wife's devices (on iOS 8.4.1) backup without problem every single night. If this was purely a server issue, it would seem that the devices wouldn't be split between iOS 8 and 9 like they are in my house.

I just got off the phone with Apple support, and the representative that I spoke with had no idea how to fix this, and was not even aware that so many users are experiencing this problem. This doesn't sound to me like a fix is imminent.
    09-22-2015 07:02 PM
    I have been able to backup to iCloud, however subsequent (automatic) backups to iCloud can be a bit hit and miss.

My wife's and daughters iPads backed up automatically to iCloud overnight, whilst my devices did not. A force backup (by pressing Backup now) resulted in a successful backup though.

I have also contacted Apple support who have passed me to a Senior Engineer. They just contacted me and are trying to schedule a call to investigate and trouble shoot the problem with me further.

I'll keep you all updated on the outcome.
    09-22-2015 08:42 PM
    To all the people saying that the backup eventually worked, have normal backups continued on a routine basis?

On iOS 8.4.1 and earlier, my iPhone used to backup to iCloud on a nightly basis every time I plugged it in at the end of the day.

On iOS 9, since the upgrade, I have had 1 seemingly successful backup. But, there are still two problems:

(1) I have no faith that the backup worked properly, because the amount of data listed for each app appears to be way off. I only have 4 photos in my camera roll, but it says camera roll is taking up 120MB, which is not possible. I also have hundreds of MBs of data in GoodReader, but it shows GoodReader only takes up 23MB of space in iCloud (again, not possible).

(2) Although I have had that one backup, it has not backed up since that one time.

Additionally, to all of those people claiming it's a server issue, that definitely does not appear to be the case. That is, I don't think it's JUST a server issue. I say that because after upgrading my two devices to iOS 9 and having this problem, I decided against upgrading my wife's devices. So, my devices (which are on iOS 9) don't backup, while my wife's devices (on iOS 8.4.1) backup without problem every single night. If this was purely a server issue, it would seem that the devices wouldn't be split between iOS 8 and 9 like they are in my house.

I just got off the phone with Apple support, and the representative that I spoke with had no idea how to fix this, and was not even aware that so many users are experiencing this problem. This doesn't sound to me like a fix is imminent.
    Yes, mine have. I had a back up today at 4:13 pm. Be sure auto back up is toggled on and on WiFi, plugged in and asleep.
    After upgrade to iOS9, iCloud backup says 0 bytes, and all apps have "no data"-imageuploadedbytapatalk1442970590.613110.jpg
    09-22-2015 09:08 PM
    Apple Engineers just contacted me and asked for permission to monitor my iCloud account in order to work out what the problem is.

At least some Emgineers at Apple are aware of the problem and are looking into it.
    09-22-2015 09:34 PM
    iCloud seems to be working fine now. I had a successful automatic backup last night while charging my iPhone. And all the apps now indicate their backup sizes.
    09-23-2015 07:02 AM
    Apple just released iOS 9.0.1. No mention of the iCloud backup problem in the release notes, but maybe this will have been silently fixed. Fingers crossed.
    09-23-2015 01:23 PM
    Apple just released iOS 9.0.1. No mention of the iCloud backup problem in the release notes, but maybe this will have been silently fixed. Fingers crossed.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't look like 9.0.1 fixes the problem. I just updated to 9.0.1, and tried a manual backup to iCloud without success. This is massively annoying that Apple has not even acknowledged this problem yet.
    09-23-2015 01:56 PM
    I'm not monitoring mine on a daily basis. But every time I look at it I find a more recent backup done successfully.
    I'm still on 9.0 though. I haven't received a notification about 9.0.1 I just noticed it's there now. I'm updating now...
    09-23-2015 02:23 PM
    This is driving me crazy. Haven't been able to back up my phone for a week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    09-27-2015 12:43 PM
    I also have a call open with Apple where they put my iCloud account in troubleshooting mode but I've been waiting a week and a half now. They told me that from their side they could see 2 instances of backups for both my iPad and iPhone but I can only see one. They were thinking that I had run out of space but from my side it tells me I have nearly 3GB free! So I still can't backup my phone.

When you look under settings on iCloud.com it shows the backup from pre iOS9 install for the iPhone but post iOS9 install for the iPad.

Don't really want to delete any backups so gonna hang on to see what Apple say for a little while longer.
    09-29-2015 02:40 AM
    I upgraded my iPad first and had same problem.. After messing around with it and following all kinds of advice.. It did the same exact thing.. After about two days it worked and I could delete what I didn't want backed up. I just upgraded iPhone 6 and it's doing the same thing.. So I'm just waiting a few days and see if it fixes itself.. Hopefully the problem is with the servers and not my device..
    10-02-2015 10:49 AM
    I first experienced this on my 5s after upgrading to ios9. I was able to backup after the 9.01 release. Today I purchased a 6s and upgraded to 9.02 and I am again unable to backup to the cloud. Getting frustrated, tried every suggestion I've read here and on apples site and still no luck. Hoping it pans out quickly.
    Last edited by Smokeless Joe; 10-03-2015 at 10:16 PM.
    10-03-2015 09:30 PM
    I am still having this problem. I have read every post on this thread and tried everything, to no avail. As of today, having upgraded to the 9.1.4 PB, I was hoping for the best, but sadly the Automatic and Manually backups still don't work. This has been an issue for me SINCE EARLY AUGUST!!!

I hope Apple finally gets this issue taken care of!
    10-06-2015 10:32 PM
    My problem has been fixed since iOS9.0.2

I was contacted by Apple Support earlier this week stating that iOS9.0.2 should have fixed the iCloud backup problems and they wanted to make sure the problem had been resolved. All my devices (6 in total - 1 x iPhone 6s, 1 x iPhone 6, 2 x iPad Air 2, 1 x iPad Air, 1 x iPad 2) are now back to backing up automatically. Manual backups also work fine as well.
    10-06-2015 10:45 PM
    OK so I'm still experiencing problems with my back ups. I upgraded my iPhone6 to the new ios9 and all its upgrades but not prepared to do it with my iPad Air2 as yet. Sometimes the iPhone6 backs up automatically sometimes not.Sometimes I can manually back it up - sometimes not! One thing I have noticed though is that for the Apps which you toggle off to not backup, they show no data while only the ones you toggle to backup indicate how much data is used. They also rearrange themselves in the top section of the info for the backup.

So here are two questions I also have:
    1.Why backup apps such as Keynote and Pages on each device if they are backed up in the "Documents and Data" section prior to selecting your device? All these are maintained through this process surely.
    2. Why back up streaming type apps such as Instagram as doesn't it feed straight from their server to your device?
    10-09-2015 12:42 AM
    This issue has been an absolute nightmare for me. Once I got my 6s Plus, iCloud wouldn't allow me to restore from the backup made from my iPhone 6. Started from scratch, wasn't happy. Since then, backups have been erratic or not happening at all. Even worse, my phone was not associating the backups as ones happening under "this phone."

So last week, 3D Touch just stopped working. Nothing including resetting all settings or network settings would work. I did a manual backup to iCloud and saw that it was saved under "this phone" under the iCloud storage page in settings.

I deleted the phone and attempted to restore from that backup. It would begin the process then get stuck at a white screen with a black apple logo. It would not advance beyond this. So I held down the power and home button and the phone restarted but only partially completed the restore. Apps were missing, the phone was a total mess.

I tried to restore again and got the screen of death and same results. I needed to start fresh. As an experiment, I set up the phone as new, did a manual backup to iCloud (which failed several times) and attempted to restore from this new backup.

Same results, the screen of death and all sorts of issues if I forced the restore to complete.

So I called apple. This is shocking and I urge everyone to be careful about their iCloud backups because all may not be well despite your device saying that it is.

My phone reported the last backup today, 10/12/15. Tech support at Apple could only see the last backup made on 9/16/15. I created some more backups while on the line with them and they couldn't see it.

Off to the Apple Store. Device replaced. Genius sets up the phone to restore from iCloud and miraculously finds the one manual backup I made today. We load it up, I get the white screen with the black Apple logo and it freezes. The genius gets frustrated, takes the new phone to the back and comes back with it loading all my apps from the most recent backup. Once completed, issues galore. No 3D Touch, missing apps and the phone is a mess.

I can't say my issues are going to happen to you, but for the time being, if the numbers on your backup don't seem right, do not trust that backup. It could fail.

Senior techs at Apple tech support are stumped, the staff at the Apple Store is stumped. It's as if my phone is saving iCloud backups in another dimension and it's as if my phone does not exist in the iCloud system.

My iCloud account has been around since iCloud was rolled out. I'm at a loss as to what's going on, but it's certainly not device related.

Hopefully if this is a server issue, it's fixed pronto. You can't have outages like this coinciding with the launch of new phones. It's just been a complete disaster for me.

I've never had this kind of trouble with iCloud before. It just worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    bud3225 likes this.
    10-12-2015 11:57 PM
99 1234