iOS 9 is slow...

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I jumped the gun way too soon. I still have the mail issue & the settings app opening weird but, everything is a lot better than it was on iOS 8. Fast as hell

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus  using Tapatalk

Oh okay, now that sounds a lot a better....KOOL

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what folks are experiencing with iOS 9 but I just wrote out a 3 page music chart on my iPad 2 with iOS 9 no issues by listening to the music over Bluetooth on my 6 Plus with iOS 9 streaming the song from drop box. Like butter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had Facebook, Twitter, and Tapatalk open at the same time on my 5S and I've had no slow downs or refreshing so far on iOS 9

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I've had Facebook, Twitter, and Tapatalk open at the same time on my 5S and I've had no slow downs or refreshing so far on iOS 9

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

I never close apps so who knows what I've got running right now.

And it's silky smooth.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6 while I wait for my NEW AWESOME GORGEOUS SEXY 128GB iPhone 6s Plus in Rose Gold

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure what folks are experiencing with iOS 9 but I just wrote out a 3 page music chart on my iPad 2 with iOS 9 no issues by listening to the music over Bluetooth on my 6 Plus with iOS 9 streaming the song from drop box. Like butter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOT "butter"..."BUTTA".....SMILE

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Things to consider:

1. If you were having problems prior to upgrading the iOS version, it may be best to do a clean install and then set up the device as new.

2. Sometimes, an upgrade doesn't go as smoothly as we'd hope. Simply try again.

3. Don't forget that apps and games need to be updated to work with the new iOS version so don't freak out when your favorite app/game stops working after the install.

4. Give the device time to settle in after the install. If you're restoring thousands of pics and music, as well as your apps and games, the device is going to stutter and jerk and appear not as smooth.

5. If you can, install via iTunes and set it up as new.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What he said ↑↑. After using it a day, I can say my old iP 5 has a breath of new life. IOS 9 runs great. There is a crinkle or two, but they'll fix those in 9.0.1 or whatever. I can't wait to see it perform on my new iPhone 6s Plus on the 25th.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I wonder what is causing the difference in experiences for people so far? I noticed some lag on our iPad 4 when bringing up the task switcher yesterday, but I honestly didn't play with it much - my 3 year old has basically commandeered it to watch Paw Patrol. I don't have an iPhone to judge the difference in speed/lag/etc. other than that on my iPad. And the 6s Plus I ordered will be coming in with iOS 9, which I'm assuming will be like a baby oiled slip 'n' slide by the time I get it in.

And one thing I've noticed over the years with iOS devices and Android devices is that the iOS ones stay relevant a WHOLE LOT longer. My daughter (the 13 year old, not the 3 year old) has an iPhone 4, which is what, 5 years old now?! Now granted it's on iOS 7, but it still works fairly well. It does lag and it stutters and it takes like 3-5 minutes to start up. But it definitely functions. There isn't an Android phone on the market that is 5 years old that works as well as that thing does.

And I've heard so many horror stories about the Note 4 being such a great phone until Lollipop. And that Lollipop just completely derailed it. Although I have also heard of some people that got a Note 4 recently that had Lollipop installed on it already and it worked well. So I dunno. It's tough to gauge experiences in Android - they always seem to be completely all over the board.

That stopped being true a long time ago, as most Android OEMs support flagships for about three years or more. Performance on them stays better longer because the devices are specced in a future proof manner.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Those of you reporting lag and/or battery issues have an app misbehaving in the background. To actually find a fix, go to settings - battery, and see what app is using a lot of battery. Tap on the app list for a detailed background of whether it's on screen battery usage, or background activity. For those of you with slowness/battery issues, chances are very good that there's an app in that list with abnormally high battery usage and background activity.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
That stopped being true a long time ago, as most Android OEMs support flagships for about three years or more. Performance on them stays better longer because the devices are specced in a future proof manner.

That's not even remotely true. I'm an Android guy. Have been for the better part of 5 years. I love the platform, but it in no way receives the same support as Apple. Even Nexus devices don't have anything but a 2 year guarantee on support.

Google to deliver 2-year update promise for Nexus devices

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
That's not even remotely true. I'm an Android guy. Have been for the better part of 5 years. I love the platform, but it in no way receives the same support as Apple. Even Nexus devices don't have anything but a 2 year guarantee on support.

Google to deliver 2-year update promise for Nexus devices

I had a Galaxy S, S2, S3, and Note 3. So, a pretty good idea of how the devices were supported... All of them received 2-3 years of support. After that, I'll have upgraded anyways so it wouldn't matter. But it's completely true. All you have to do is go back and look at the support track record for their devices. 100% verifiable.

What Google does for Nexus has nothing to do with how independent OEMs support their devices. I've never, and will never, buy a Nexus device. Google's "support" is basically non-existent.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

WOW, This is just not even close to being true. ...LOL. Maybe your definition of support is different than almost everyone.

bigblue2007

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I find iOS 9 to run very smooth. The phone feels faster... Also I seem to make less mistakes on the keyboard. Very nice os.

I am getting a Silver iPhone 6s next... can't wait.

Currently have the Space Grey iPhone 6.

Elim

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I find iOS 9 to run very smooth. The phone feels faster...
Same here but you will every update someone who complains. But like already said, already said in all the updates before: wait some days and when you still have issues then take the time and start with a fresh, clean install.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
WOW, This is just not even close to being true. ...LOL. Maybe your definition of support is different than almost everyone.

If that were true then I would have 5.1 on Lollipop. Instead, the OS is tossed out and the OEMs grab it and toss it at whatever pace they desire to the carriers so they can figure out what millennium would be best to release to customers.

But to the point of specs, clearly the 4GB RAM on my device cannot compensate for the laggy mess that was 5.0 on my Note 4. Let me make this clear...:.when I take one picture, I can't 1) immediately take another and/or immediately view it. I have to wait until the app unfreezes and crashes and tosses me to the Home screen so I can then open the Gallery to view it or open the camera to take another.

4GB RAM on a one year old device running the latest OS.

Yup.

Great specs.

Horrendous performance AFTER an upgrade that was pushed via carrier to "support" my device.

Meanwhile.....my 1GB one year old iPhone 6 is smooth as silk with no lag, no stutter, and an improved battery life.

Which is most advantageous to me as a user? Specs or performance?

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6 while I wait for my NEW AWESOME GORGEOUS SEXY 128GB iPhone 6s Plus in Rose Gold

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh and my SGS3 was a disaster on KitKat.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Oh and my SGS3 was a disaster on KitKat.

Mine certainly wasn't.

Amazing how the conversation got dominated with this stuff just because I said I was going back to Samsung devices. It's okay to move on. It's not going to change my mind.

I'm not buying another iPhone until they stop artificially limiting features and start speccing in a future proof fashion. If that means never, then I'm totally fine with that.

I've never had performance issues on the Samsung or HTC phones I used heavily over the years so I don't really pay attention to the FUD. But thanks for trying.

Back to "iOS 9 is slow..."

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit