Horrible cropping bug in IOS9 for none-iPhone camera pictures

crwoo

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I am a pro photographer and any picture I take with any other camera than my iPhone are being displayed as cropped in full screen mode. Lets say I have a landscape photo and will view holding my phone in landscape, the picture will show up cropped to fit height. that is really annoying and the only way to view the full contents of the picture is to double tap to zoom in to 100% and double tap to zoom back out...WITH EVERY PICTURE.
I have reported this bug to apple during the beta, but they have't fixed it. I can't use the photo app this way and I am hoping this gets addressed quickly or I will be forced to a competitor's phone for my job.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Looks like it's intended behaviour. Makes better use of the screen. You could also do a quick pinch zoom-in then out and it displays full size, same as the double tap method you mentioned but with less effort.

Still, you'll probably be best to find an app designed for viewing non-iPhone photos since it's pretty clear that Apple has optimized their own apps for their own hardware.

crwoo

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
who wants to look at a cropped picture? the iphone pictures are shown uncropped with some black on top and bottom, why cant the camera pictures show like that? it's a very annoying bug.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Since it displays iPhone photos normally, it must be a metadata thing. There might be a simple way to have other photos display with the black bars by default, but I'm not sure what.

Dan_85

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Experiencing exactly the same problem here.

Photos taken on my Sony A6000 are in 16:9 aspect ratio. Now when viewing them on my iPad, iOS 9 decides that they should be stretched and cropped to fill the full 4:3 screen resolution. Double tapping to zoom in and then out again, results in them displaying correctly. This is incredibly annoying, and it didn't happen with iOS 8.

This forum thread is the only place online where I can find this mentioned. How can we raise this with Apple?

crwoo

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Still annoying. It's odd that it is not being mentioned in any review or blog. Wondering if the reviewers are even using the devices.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
who wants to look at a cropped picture? the iphone pictures are shown uncropped with some black on top and bottom, why cant the camera pictures show like that? it's a very annoying bug.

It's not a bug. It is pixel ratio. The photos are resized to fit the pixel ratio of the iPhone screen.

Jackie1

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem with videos from my restore from backup when I went from my iphone 5 to the 6 last week,. They all wanted to show in landscape mode zommed in, when they originally weren't show in landscape mode. I found that going into each video and trimming each one by 1 second, then re-saveing the videos as new fixed it. Had to do it for 300 videos though. Maybe you could try editing a photo a bit and re-save and see if it fills screen,

Last edited:

crwoo

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Its a bug. It crops all my pictures. I cant just zoom out, I have to zoom in and out again. If i zoom in, i cant look at whatever is cropped originally. Apple needs to get this fixed.

mcrumi

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
You are 100% correct. It is also a problem on iPad. It is not a problem on iPhone4 w os 7....so it must be an OS 9 bug and fixable. Am headed to Apple Store to demonstrate the problem... Not that I expect any solution. This is a real downer for photographers and other visual artists.

mcrumi

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
P.s., interestingly, If I upload the same photos to Facebook...and view them via my Facebook photo album on my OS9 iphone or ipad, the problem doesn't exist..they are not cropped. But if I save those same images to the iphone photo album, they are cropped. Ergo, must be a software glitch.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
P.s., interestingly, If I upload the same photos to Facebook...and view them via my Facebook photo album on my OS9 iphone or ipad, the problem doesn't exist..they are not cropped. But if I save those same images to the iphone photo album, they are cropped. Ergo, must be a software glitch.

Hi, Mcrumi, thanks for sharing, btw. But you could always edit your previous posts so as to add more content into them, so you won't end up with multiple posts like this. Just something to note.

Thanks for joining us too :)

Dan_85

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Yes, the problem is only with Apple's Photos app. If you view the photos with a 3rd party application such as Facebook, Google Photos, Flickr etc then they display correctly. Unfortunately that means having to always have an internet connection to view them. Using the Photos app is (was) a much faster way to view photos or artwork, especially when offline.

Over on the official Apple discussion forums one user has today mentioned having a long phone conversation with Apple who have declared that this is intended behavior. If that's true, it's insane. Imagine if the manufacturer of your television forced the latest Hollywood blu-ray to play in an aspect ratio different to what it was shot in. It just about renders the iPad useless for photographers and designers such as myself.

And to think that the iPad Pro is aimed squarely at designers, photographers and creatives. Is the same issue going to persist there?!

EDIT: Photos are displaying correctly in iOS 9.2 Public Beta 1!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR