google has apparently in the past few months upped their speech recognition game and it almost always understand me now. I can open my google app and ask it questions and it verbally gives me answers. Siri still almost always misunderstands me and not just a little bit. completely off base. below is an example. look at the screenshots below. read the question in the google app. its what I asked. then look at what siri thought I said. now over all I like the iphone best and since I got the google app, I've no interest in switching platforms, in fact I'm getting the 6S plus, be up tonight to preorder it. so this isn't meant to bash apple.

my question: has anybody else had this issue and if so have any of you seen improvements in iOS 9 with regard to Siri?

I hate Siri, can she win me back in iOS 9?-img_1112.jpgI hate Siri, can she win me back in iOS 9?-img_1113.jpg
    09-11-2015 09:47 PM
    Well in your example you are using proper pronouns, that is something Siri isn't very good at. Siri is still new to the voice recognition game, whereas Google had been working on it for years. Siri will get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-11-2015 10:41 PM
    Well in your example you are using proper pronouns, that is something Siri isn't very good at. Siri is still new to the voice recognition game, whereas Google had been working on it for years. Siri will get there.

Siri has been around longer than Google Voice Commands. Even not counting her pre-Apple days...
    09-11-2015 10:47 PM
    Siri has been around longer than Google Voice Commands. Even not counting her pre-Apple days...
    Maybe to market, but Google works longer on their products before release than Apple does. Apple focuses more on OS and hardware before release than features and Siri has been falling behind because of it. I agree though, Siri still needs some work.

09-11-2015 10:49 PM
    Maybe to market, but Google works longer on their products before release than Apple does. Apple focuses more on OS and hardware before release than features and Siri has been falling behind because of it. I agree though, Siri still needs some work.

Don't disagree with you there. There is definitely an advantage to search and data being your business!
    09-11-2015 10:56 PM
    its more than proper nouns with me. I ask Siri to schedule my fiddle lesson and it says something like "wax apple federal lesion"

I'm guessing I'm not alone because when siri appeared in the simpsons I laughed till I cried.

09-11-2015 11:31 PM
    I feel proud when Siri understands me! G00gle search app has yet to misunderstand me. 😀
    With Siri, you have to adapt to the way she understands whereas G00gle voice adapts to the way you speak. ( I don't look good speaking to Siri 😂😂&#128514
    James Yarbrough likes this.
    09-12-2015 01:27 PM
    Just for fun I did more tonight. see what siri thought I said, vs what I actually said. google got it right every time. some of this stuff is supposed to be apple's focus like asking for siri to play me some jimmy martin tunes and failing even that. what good is the feature of asking siri to play apple music if it can't even understand that? or walking directions. overall apple makes great products and thats why I stick with them, but siri is so bad as to be inexcusable. I'll be curious to try it again when iOS 9 comes out wednesday, and if its still this bad one can only hope by next year apple has caught up to google with speech recognition. on to the screen shots. see for yourself. remember first you'll see siri, then google for each question, and google is the one who gets it right.

I hate Siri, can she win me back in iOS 9?-img_1112.jpgI hate Siri, can she win me back in iOS 9?-img_1113.jpgI hate Siri, can she win me back in iOS 9?-img_1115.jpgI hate Siri, can she win me back in iOS 9?-img_1116.jpgI hate Siri, can she win me back in iOS 9?-img_1117.jpgI hate Siri, can she win me back in iOS 9?-img_1118.jpgI hate Siri, can she win me back in iOS 9?-img_1119.jpgI hate Siri, can she win me back in iOS 9?-img_1120.jpgI hate Siri, can she win me back in iOS 9?-img_1121.jpgI hate Siri, can she win me back in iOS 9?-img_1122.jpgI hate Siri, can she win me back in iOS 9?-img_1124.jpgI hate Siri, can she win me back in iOS 9?-img_1125.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails I hate Siri, can she win me back in iOS 9?-img_1123.jpg  
    09-12-2015 10:53 PM
    by the way this website posted the first two thumbnails again in my second post even though I didn't ask it to, and then ended my post with a thumbnail I accidentally uploaded (the one that says, regret, I'm sorry) and thought I deleted. there doesn't appear to be any way to correct this, so just roll with it. LOL
    09-12-2015 10:57 PM
    @John Flud, based on what you've posted, I doubt Siri will win you back in iOS 9, but I hope I'm wrong...
    Closingracer likes this.
    09-13-2015 09:03 AM
    @John Flud, based on what you've posted, I doubt Siri will win you back in iOS 9, but I hope I'm wrong...
    I figured it was my hick accent but if google can manage why not apple? I wonder if they're working feverishly to catch up with google on this? over all I like apple better, their customer service can't be beat, they get better apps, are more secure, easy to use, get more updates aren't full of bloatware, etc. no way I'm switching to android. but I give credit where it's due and I think google is beating apple on the speech and search game. I hope apple is paying attention.
    09-13-2015 09:19 AM
    I figured it was my hick accent but if google can manage why not apple? I wonder if they're working feverishly to catch up with google on this? over all I like apple better, their customer service can't be beat, they get better apps, are more secure, easy to use, get more updates aren't full of bloatware, etc. no way I'm switching to android. but I give credit where it's due and I think google is beating apple on the speech and search game. I hope apple is paying attention.
    I'm sure they are...
    09-13-2015 09:32 AM
    Siri was in Beta when it was released I thought?

09-13-2015 10:24 AM
    First off Siri on ios 9 won't be anything different then it was on ios 8 so far from what I've noticed. I used Google Now launcher on my previous Android devices and while I like it I still prefer Siri partly because the integration is so much better though not a deciding factor. I find it better in results overall from my experience

09-13-2015 10:25 AM
    I guess the speech recognition being server side not on my end, that makes sense. so as apple improves it, it will get better regardless of my updating. I may not have to wait for iOS 10, assuming apple is on this and fixing it.

I too would prefer siri. google won't pull up my albums and play them. google can't set my alarms. etc. so I wish I could use siri.

but when it even confuses "how far away is frontier city by walking with "read burnt your kitty by walking," it's utterly hopeless. how the hell does it confuse "how far is" with "read burnt your" they sound nothing alike. I can understand why it might confuse city with kitty, but read with how? WTF!

and I'd think I must have the worst speech impediment ever and not realize it, (maybe I do pronounce "read" and "how" the same way and don't realize it. well no because then google would be getting it wrong too but it's not.

apparently though there's lots of people that claim siri works great for them and apple even claims their more accurate than google?

well if it is, I'm jealous because for me it's turned out as useless as tits on a bull. and that makes me sad. I'm rooting for Siri and can't wait for the day I can actually use this feature. apple are you listening?
    09-13-2015 07:32 PM
    I figured it was my hick accent but if google can manage why not apple?
    Yes, that's it. Siri is terrible with accents and Google made sure to get them right.
    09-13-2015 07:54 PM
    Your Google vs Siri mirrors mine almost exactly. I use Siri for very basic simple tasks. Anything else I do the 2 extra presses to get to Google. I hope ios 9 brings it closer, but I don't have much hope.
    09-13-2015 08:03 PM
    Yes, that's it. Siri is terrible with accents and Google made sure to get them right.
    LOL normally it's apple who meticulously tests a feature before releasing it to be public while google farts out a half baked buggy beta version. guess nobody bats a perfect score and Siri along with apple maps are good examples of apple screwing up. maps has improved quite a bit though. Siri not so much. (where it counts, which is understanding my commands)
    09-13-2015 08:51 PM
    Your Google vs Siri mirrors mine almost exactly. I use Siri for very basic simple tasks. Anything else I do the 2 extra presses to get to Google. I hope ios 9 brings it closer, but I don't have much hope.
    It's good to know I'm not alone here. LOL
    09-13-2015 08:52 PM
    LOL normally it's apple who meticulously tests a feature before releasing it to be public while google farts out a half baked buggy beta version. guess nobody bats a perfect score and Siri along with apple maps are good examples of apple screwing up. maps has improved quite a bit though. Siri not so much. (where it counts, which is understanding my commands)
    Agreed. But Google was in competition mode for voice recognition.

09-13-2015 08:53 PM
    ugh! just now I asked siri when is daylight savings? it thought I said "rid of a night savings." trusty google got it right. I hope some apple personnel is reading this thread, maybe curious and doing research on consumer response to their products. LOL
    09-13-2015 09:00 PM
    I don't understand why so many people have issues with Siri. I almost never have issues with her understanding me.

Closingracer, sau124 and austriak like this.
    09-13-2015 09:38 PM
    I don't understand why so many people have issues with Siri. I almost never have issues with her understanding me.

Accents.

John Flud likes this.
    09-13-2015 10:17 PM
    Possibly, my wife is from South America and Siri understands her Spanish accented English just fine. But there might be something to what you say.

09-13-2015 11:34 PM
    Same here. I could say couple of the sentences above and Siri got it right. I have had very little problems with Siri, maybe I am not used to speaking to her.
    09-14-2015 01:36 PM
62 123