I hate Siri, can she win me back in iOS 9?

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
google has apparently in the past few months upped their speech recognition game and it almost always understand me now. I can open my google app and ask it questions and it verbally gives me answers. Siri still almost always misunderstands me and not just a little bit. completely off base. below is an example. look at the screenshots below. read the question in the google app. its what I asked. then look at what siri thought I said. now over all I like the iphone best and since I got the google app, I've no interest in switching platforms, in fact I'm getting the 6S plus, be up tonight to preorder it. so this isn't meant to bash apple.

my question: has anybody else had this issue and if so have any of you seen improvements in iOS 9 with regard to Siri?

IMG_1112.jpgIMG_1113.jpg

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Well in your example you are using proper pronouns, that is something Siri isn't very good at. Siri is still new to the voice recognition game, whereas Google had been working on it for years. Siri will get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwhizkids

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Well in your example you are using proper pronouns, that is something Siri isn't very good at. Siri is still new to the voice recognition game, whereas Google had been working on it for years. Siri will get there.

Siri has been around longer than Google Voice Commands. Even not counting her pre-Apple days...

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Siri has been around longer than Google Voice Commands. Even not counting her pre-Apple days...

Maybe to market, but Google works longer on their products before release than Apple does. Apple focuses more on OS and hardware before release than features and Siri has been falling behind because of it. I agree though, Siri still needs some work.

gwhizkids

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Maybe to market, but Google works longer on their products before release than Apple does. Apple focuses more on OS and hardware before release than features and Siri has been falling behind because of it. I agree though, Siri still needs some work.

Don't disagree with you there. There is definitely an advantage to search and data being your business!

usedberry

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I feel proud when Siri understands me! G00gle search app has yet to misunderstand me. 😀
With Siri, you have to adapt to the way she understands whereas G00gle voice adapts to the way you speak. ( I don't look good speaking to Siri 😂😂😂)

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Just for fun I did more tonight. see what siri thought I said, vs what I actually said. google got it right every time. some of this stuff is supposed to be apple's focus like asking for siri to play me some jimmy martin tunes and failing even that. what good is the feature of asking siri to play apple music if it can't even understand that? or walking directions. overall apple makes great products and thats why I stick with them, but siri is so bad as to be inexcusable. I'll be curious to try it again when iOS 9 comes out wednesday, and if its still this bad one can only hope by next year apple has caught up to google with speech recognition. on to the screen shots. see for yourself. remember first you'll see siri, then google for each question, and google is the one who gets it right.

IMG_1112.jpgIMG_1113.jpgIMG_1115.jpgIMG_1116.jpgIMG_1117.jpgIMG_1118.jpgIMG_1119.jpgIMG_1120.jpgIMG_1121.jpgIMG_1122.jpgIMG_1124.jpgIMG_1125.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1123.jpg
    IMG_1123.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 62

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
by the way this website posted the first two thumbnails again in my second post even though I didn't ask it to, and then ended my post with a thumbnail I accidentally uploaded (the one that says, regret, I'm sorry) and thought I deleted. there doesn't appear to be any way to correct this, so just roll with it. LOL

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
@John Flud, based on what you've posted, I doubt Siri will win you back in iOS 9, but I hope I'm wrong...:)

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
@John Flud, based on what you've posted, I doubt Siri will win you back in iOS 9, but I hope I'm wrong...:)
I figured it was my hick accent but if google can manage why not apple? I wonder if they're working feverishly to catch up with google on this? over all I like apple better, their customer service can't be beat, they get better apps, are more secure, easy to use, get more updates aren't full of bloatware, etc. no way I'm switching to android. but I give credit where it's due and I think google is beating apple on the speech and search game. I hope apple is paying attention.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I figured it was my hick accent but if google can manage why not apple? I wonder if they're working feverishly to catch up with google on this? over all I like apple better, their customer service can't be beat, they get better apps, are more secure, easy to use, get more updates aren't full of bloatware, etc. no way I'm switching to android. but I give credit where it's due and I think google is beating apple on the speech and search game. I hope apple is paying attention.

I'm sure they are...;)

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

First off Siri on ios 9 won't be anything different then it was on ios 8 so far from what I've noticed. I used Google Now launcher on my previous Android devices and while I like it I still prefer Siri partly because the integration is so much better though not a deciding factor. I find it better in results overall from my experience

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I guess the speech recognition being server side not on my end, that makes sense. so as apple improves it, it will get better regardless of my updating. I may not have to wait for iOS 10, assuming apple is on this and fixing it.

I too would prefer siri. google won't pull up my albums and play them. google can't set my alarms. etc. so I wish I could use siri.

but when it even confuses "how far away is frontier city by walking with "read burnt your kitty by walking," it's utterly hopeless. how the hell does it confuse "how far is" with "read burnt your" they sound nothing alike. I can understand why it might confuse city with kitty, but read with how? WTF!

and I'd think I must have the worst speech impediment ever and not realize it, (maybe I do pronounce "read" and "how" the same way and don't realize it. well no because then google would be getting it wrong too but it's not.

apparently though there's lots of people that claim siri works great for them and apple even claims their more accurate than google?

well if it is, I'm jealous because for me it's turned out as useless as tits on a bull. and that makes me sad. I'm rooting for Siri and can't wait for the day I can actually use this feature. apple are you listening?

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Your Google vs Siri mirrors mine almost exactly. I use Siri for very basic simple tasks. Anything else I do the 2 extra presses to get to Google. I hope ios 9 brings it closer, but I don't have much hope.

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that's it. Siri is terrible with accents and Google made sure to get them right.
LOL normally it's apple who meticulously tests a feature before releasing it to be public while google farts out a half baked buggy beta version. guess nobody bats a perfect score and Siri along with apple maps are good examples of apple screwing up. maps has improved quite a bit though. Siri not so much. (where it counts, which is understanding my commands)

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
LOL normally it's apple who meticulously tests a feature before releasing it to be public while google farts out a half baked buggy beta version. guess nobody bats a perfect score and Siri along with apple maps are good examples of apple screwing up. maps has improved quite a bit though. Siri not so much. (where it counts, which is understanding my commands)

Agreed. But Google was in competition mode for voice recognition.