Public Release Date

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
After the Sep 9th announcement, how long will it take Apple to release it to the general public?

There are 3 basic versions of iOS:
  • Beta. These start months ahead of the release to developers, and starting this year, the public. These are evolutionary releases, and there are multiple releases.
  • Gold Master (GM). This is the "final" version that Apple releases to the manufacturer to be installed on the new iPhones, iPads and iPods.
  • Public Release/General Available. This is the final version that is released to the public for upgrading existing iPhones, iPads and iPods.
Obviously, the Beta releases have been ongoing for several months now.

Historically, Apple has released the GM immediately following the Apple event. That means that the GM version of iOS 9 will be released on 09/09.

Apple will announce the release date for the Public Release during the keynote. Typically it comes a day or two prior to the release of the new hardware. Expected dates range to between 09/15 to 09/17, as the new phones are rumored to be available for pre-order on 09/11 and delivered/available for sale on 09/18. Because these are rumored dates, they could slip, and we'll know for sure on 09/09 during the keynote.

oladob

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if there is anything special you need to do to be able to download the iOS 9 GM if you have been on the iOS 9 beta or can you just download it as normal? In other words do you need to restore to iOS 8.4.1 first or do you get the OTA update as normal?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if there is anything special you need to do to be able to download the iOS 9 GM if you have been on the iOS 9 beta or can you just download it as normal? In other words do you need to restore to iOS 8.4.1 first or do you get the OTA update as normal?

There are a few things that are not yet known. Apple just started the beta release program, so not sure if there will be an OTA release of GM - there has not been an OTA GM release to date.

There are rumors on some sites that say that if you are running the public beta, you should be able to delete the beta profile and then do the update as OTA. I am skeptical of this, personally.

If you are running the developer beta, you will most likely need to load via iTunes/ipsw - as has always been the case with previous releases.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
So how do you delete the profile? Thanks.

General > Profile. Tap on the iOS 9 Beta Software Profile link and then tap on it again on the next page. You are now looking at the iOS 9 Beta Software Profile page. Tap on the Delete Profile link at the bottom of the page.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
This is causing quite a stir across the internet blogs. Apparently, if you are running iOS 9 beta (doesn't specify if it's the developer or public beta), and you set the date to 09/06/2015, you will get this popup. Here's a screen shot of my iPhone 5. Of course, consider it with a grain of salt.

View attachment 90516

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
That is what I am talking about. When I go into settings, general, there is no profile for me to press?

If you are running the public beta, the profile must be there. If you're running the developer beta, there is no profile. The dev beta is controlled via registering the device's UDID in the developer portal.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk v3.2.1.

eb_therebel

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
This is causing quite a stir across the internet blogs. Apparently, if you are running iOS 9 beta (doesn't specify if it's the developer or public beta), and you set the date to 09/06/2015, you will get this popup. Here's a screen shot of my iPhone 5. Of course, consider it with a grain of salt.

View attachment 90516

I didn't change my date and I just got that pop up on my mini running the public beta

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2