iOS 9 Public Beta - Cellular Data

BalrogWing

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone had issues with their cellular data on the Public Beta? Right now I'm getting errors as if there is no cellular connection and can't open pages on safari or use apps that use a network connection. Everything works over Wifi.

On cellular, if I try to go to a site and get the error "Safari cannot open the page because the server could not be found" then force close safari and reopen it, the last page I tried to open works but then I have to do that to click on any other link.
To recreate:
Click on a link in email or type an address into the address bar and get above mentioned error.

Double tap home button and close Safari with URL in address bar

Reopen Safari and that page loads but have to follow last two steps to open any further pages

I tried restoring iOS 9, turning my phone off and taking the sim card out and putting it back in, and just rebooting. Resetting Network settings fixes this for a while then it starts happening again. I submitted this through Feedback Assistant, it only started happening once I got on to iOS 9. When it occurs I still have a good network connection and can be outside or inside. It mainly seems to happen in the morning and then if I reset network settings it works for the rest of the day.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't happen on my phone when following your steps, so it must not be a blanket problem. Are you using any sort of proxy or have some sort of certificates installed (the Apple public beta one for example)? That's the only thing I can think of right now that might be causing some issue.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Try toggling off Cellular, then a Hard Reset (Reboot), then toggle Cellular back on. If that doesn't work, you may need to uninstall and install a fresh copy of the beta.

BryantCarpio

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem. Occurs often enough that I am probably going back to 8.4. The only fix I have found is resetting network settings. I currently have Verizon, if that helps.

kazn3r

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem. Occurs often enough that I am probably going back to 8.4. The only fix I have found is resetting network settings. I currently have Verizon, if that helps.

I am experiencing the same as you--on Verizon. As a matter of fact, I was in the Apple Store swapping a cable two days ago and tried to use Safari with full bars. Wouldn't load any page. Tried to just "google" a page, and the google search popped right up! Then, when I went to click through...Safari couldn't load the page. Turned on WIFI, connected to Apple Store, and wala!

I am also experiencing an issue where it's not sending iMessages randomly.

Turning Airplane on and off doesnt work, although, I will try again today.

In both instances, a hard reset (hold lock and home) cures the cough.

Happened twice Wednesday, and two times yesterday--although I was on wifi most of the time yesterday, so I'm not sure if it would have occurred more often or not.

Was thinking about downgrading, but I'm not sure yet.

I did screenshot and report the safari issue through Feedback.

kazn3r

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
Before downgrading, I tried this--so far it's working...sent one iMessage and visited one website. Wifi Off. I will continue to monitor.

CB_27

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
For the people that can load Google: I think you might be having the same issue as me, I posted this in the iOS 9 Developer preview thread but seems like it could go here too:

For the Verizon issues, I think I've figured it out: It seems like its a problem with IPv6, websites with IPv6 (like Google) work fine, but ones with only IPv4 won't load on LTE. I submitted a bug report to Apple, but it seems like it might be a Verizon issue, honestly. Right now, the only workaround I found is to disable 4G. I think you might be able to use a VPN that supports IPv6, but I haven't been able to test that

(Since I posted that, Apple asked me to record my cell info as I went through the steps, so I think they're at least aware of it)

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I am having the issues as well. It's annoying. Regretting the beta. Too far in tho. Don't want to restore from last week... Hopefully new beta fixes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Verizon here too and using the Public Beta. Get this issue now and then, not every time. I've noticed that turning cellular data off and on will fix it.

kazn3r

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
You just turned wifi off?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin recommended this above, and since I've done it (and have stayed off of wifi) I have been good. I test safari every now and then because I'm not so popular that my iMessages are rolling in, BUT IT SO FAR HAS WORKED FOR ALMOST 24 HOURS WITH NO ISSUE!!! But, If I turn on wifi later and then off, and it comes back, i will come back to tell you!

"Try toggling off Cellular, then a Hard Reset (Reboot), then toggle Cellular back on"

kazn3r

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey, apple hasn't gotten back to me on a single thing i sent in feedback!

But, by the way, Ledsteplin recommended this above, and I have not had the issue since I've done that.

"Try toggling off Cellular, then a Hard Reset (Reboot), then toggle Cellular back on"

That's cellular in settings, not just airplane mode.

kazn3r

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
Try Ledsteplins recommendation above. It helped me. Haven't had the issue since.

kazn3r

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
This morning, I had it connected to wifi and then I left the house--back to lte, and opened safari. To my dismay, it could not open pages, so I had to do the process over.

I'm getting close to uninstalling. As a matter of fact, I just opened Feedback...and the 1 in my outbox was my feedback about the cellular data! What a coincidence. I must've not had service at the time I sent, but did not realize it because it was showing full bars. Of course! Or, I did know, wrote feedback, but did not connect to wifi!

Hm...

I guess I'll first wipe my phone fully and then have 9 sent to me again to try, before I officially downgrade to 8, but I am too lazy to do that right now.

rlacrossjr

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I was having same issue with both iOS 9 beta version. It seems to be a issue with the software on keeping the LTE. I did a fresh install with no restore same issue. Had Verizon replace SIM same thing LTE shows connect but no network.
Resetting network and toggle data off are temporary fix. Putting LTE on data only seems to work longer. For me it's like a data time out (standby) when on wifi or if is goes from LTE to 3G and will not work going back to LTE.
a21586caa14403d8a205f16872bae2f0.jpg
97b025b109e0f3e8a99631450245849f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rlacrossjr

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Seems to be verizon phone issue only. Have restored 2 time same thing. One with fresh 8.4 then update OTA to 9 and finding the iOS 9 full download and fresh install no backup and same think. I did restore to 8.4 and waiting for next beta.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Seems to be verizon phone issue only. Have restored 2 time same thing. One with fresh 8.4 then update OTA to 9 and finding the iOS 9 full download and fresh install no backup and same think. I did restore to 8.4 and waiting for next beta.

If that's true then maybe a forthcoming carrier update will fix the problem.