Like me, some of you were waiting to see what changes and improvements Apple would make the to the native Mail app before committing to a possible 3rd-party solution. Now that we've gotten a glimpse of iOS 9, have you decided to stick with the native app or try one of the popular 3rd-party solutions you've been considering.
    tmjodonnell likes this.
    06-08-2015 05:05 PM
    Just because they didn't talk about it in the keynote doesn't mean they did nothing with Mail... I'm willing to wait and see what the public beta does when I install it...
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    06-08-2015 05:08 PM
    Just because they didn't talk about it in the keynote doesn't mean they did nothing with Mail... I'm willing to wait and see what the public beta does when I install it...
    Judging by screenshots of the developer beta, there is iCloud drive integration in the mail app. SO at least you'll likely have better attachment handling.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    06-08-2015 05:09 PM
    I LOVE mail on the iPhone. I have a Hotmail account which I have had since 2002. Android doesn't even let me sign into my email address on their mail equivalent so I have no choice but to use the third party outlook app. The differences between the outlook app and the mail app on iPhone are like night and day- slow and clunky on android, fast and accurate on iPhone. Theres not even a comparison because the mail is THAT much better
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    06-08-2015 05:11 PM
    I jumped that ship months ago. I wanted to stay in the apple garden but, the mail app just didn't do all I wanted it to do. I thought Apple was going to announce today big improvements to its mail app, but it was not to be. So in the mean time I'll stick with Awesome Calendar and hope that the next time around the mail app will get its much need makeover.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    06-08-2015 05:12 PM
    I LOVE mail on the iPhone. I have a Hotmail account which I have had since 2002. Android doesn't even let me sign into my email address on their mail equivalent so I have no choice but to use the third party outlook app. The differences between the outlook app and the mail app on iPhone are like night and day- slow and clunky on android, fast and accurate on iPhone. Theres not even a comparison because the mail is THAT much better
    You sure about that? This is straight from the Gmail App...

Apple Mail or a 3rd-party solution? - post WWDC announcement-screenshot_2015-06-08-17-14-10.jpg
    razza1987, Channan and Just_Me_D like this.
    06-08-2015 06:15 PM
    I'm sure. I've tried it multiple times. It comes up with an error message saying "set up couldn't finish. Authentication failed."
    06-08-2015 06:22 PM
    I'm sure. I've tried it multiple times. It comes up with an error message saying "set up couldn't finish. Authentication failed."

I'm thinking it's something on your end. I just synced up one of my old Hotmail accounts. It took a few minutes to refresh and load the mail, but it worked. Did you try the manual setup?
    06-08-2015 06:45 PM
    I haven't found a third party mail client that IMO would compete with the native app. I have email accounts from gmail, outlook, icloud and private domains. Adding and using those accounts into gmail or outlook or the others has proven less that satisfactory from my perspective. YMMV
    kch50428 and Just_Me_D like this.
    06-08-2015 07:04 PM
    I don't know how much the mail app landscape has changed in the last few months, but I always used the default mail app, or Mailbox. I tried many others, they just didn't feel right.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    06-08-2015 07:14 PM
    I'm thinking it's something on your end. I just synced up one of my old Hotmail accounts. It took a few minutes to refresh and load the mail, but it worked. Did you try the manual setup?
    I have no idea what to select for the manual set up xd
    06-08-2015 07:48 PM
    I use Inbox. I need push email and Google doesn't support it with Exchange anymore, so I had to switch.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    06-08-2015 09:46 PM
    The mail app in iOS 9 allows you to add attachments now (used to be just pictures/videos):
    Apple Mail or a 3rd-party solution? - post WWDC announcement-mailaddattachment.jpg
    katesbb likes this.
    06-08-2015 10:28 PM
    ^^^ Yup...it looks like the iCloud drive features are there, but were just not mentioned...this is an excellent bit of news actually, and makes me happy to stay with the stock Mail application. I'm guessing there are quite a few things iOS 9 will have optimized for the iPhone that they are holding off to talk about during the next gen keynote.
    06-08-2015 10:36 PM
    Like me, some of you were waiting to see what changes and improvements Apple would make the to the native Mail app before committing to a possible 3rd-party solution. Now that we've gotten a glimpse of iOS 9, have you decided to stick with the native app or try one of the popular 3rd-party solutions you've been considering.
    The cool thing about Apple is that they don't let you use iCloud as your Apple ID, which means for many of us... we had to have a different account somewhere else just to sign up for iTunes. I have a Microsoft Account.

Can use Outlook on my iPhone when the Mail app is insufficient (which it is, when it comes to attaching documents, etc.).
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    06-09-2015 12:50 AM
    The mail app in iOS 9 allows you to add attachments now (used to be just pictures/videos):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mailaddattachment.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	82832
    I still hate how you have to long press and crap just to get to it, and I think the buttons are unreasonably small even on an iPhone 6 Plus. The mail app needs a thorough revamp (the dialer too, tired of having to go to Contacts to find someone when I could just start spelling names with the number pad in Android and have the suggestions pop up).
    06-09-2015 12:52 AM
    You sure about that? This is straight from the Gmail App...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-06-08-17-14-10.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	82788
    Non-Nexus devices (most if not all of them) don't come with the Google exchange package on the device, and Gmail won't see the OEM-specific Exchange client software on the device in most if not all cases. You can hack the Google packages in if you get them from APKMirror or somewhere, but they don't ship on Samsung, HTC, etc. devices by default.

OEMs are responsible for licensing Exchange themselves for use in their Android devices - because each device has to be licensed and I don't think Google wants to pay the license fees for the entirety of the Android device ecosystem themselves. That's why they dropped Exchange from consumer Gmail to begin with. It gets very expensive.

In any case, Gmail is a poor Exchange email client and Samsung/HTC have far better PIM clients and Exchange Email clients on their devices than Gmail and Google Calendar, among other things.
    06-09-2015 12:56 AM
    The cool thing about Apple is that they don't let you use iCloud as your Apple ID, which means for many of us... we had to have a different account somewhere else just to sign up for iTunes. I have a Microsoft Account.
    What do you mean they don't let you use iCloud as your Apple ID?
    06-09-2015 01:08 AM
    I still hate how you have to long press and crap just to get to it, and I think the buttons are unreasonably small even on an iPhone 6 Plus. The mail app needs a thorough revamp (the dialer too, tired of having to go to Contacts to find someone when I could just start spelling names with the number pad in Android and have the suggestions pop up).
    No long press for me...I simply tap in the field and the bar comes up.
    06-09-2015 01:08 AM
    Is IMAP IDLE there in ios 9 beta?Any Fetch time changes for IMAP accounts?
    06-09-2015 03:03 AM
    What do you mean they don't let you use iCloud as your Apple ID?
    They don't let you use an apple hosted email to create an AppleID. You can log in with an iCloud Address afterwards, but you need an external email address not from Apple to create one. You need the AppleID before you can get iCloud.

This makes it easy to ignore iCloud PIM and their lackluster PIM apps and use those from Microsoft or Google, or a third party with a third party PIM services, since you almost assuredly have another account [elsewhere] if you use an iPhone, anyways.

Microsoft doesn't require a third party email account to set up their services, for example. You can create a Microsoft or Google account and use everything even if you have no other email address.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    06-09-2015 02:07 PM
    They don't let you use an apple hosted email to create an AppleID. You can log in with an iCloud Address afterwards, but you need an external email address not from Apple to create one. You need the AppleID before you can get iCloud.
    Probably because it would be tough to accomplish a password reset.
    06-09-2015 02:44 PM
    Probably because it would be tough to accomplish a password reset.
    Not hard if you challenge using personal account info, like a ton of other places that haven't been compromised do (Microsoft, Google, etc.). There can always be the option to strengthen the account with two factor authentication and SMS, Email, etc. verification after the fact.

The requirement is vestigial, but they have not found a way to completely rid themselves of t.

Like I said. Microsoft and Google don't have that requirement and still allow you to sufficiently secure your account. That's a weak rationale for a system that basically makes your services take a back seat to a competitors.

06-09-2015 02:47 PM

This makes it easy to ignore iCloud PIM and their lackluster PIM apps and use those from Microsoft or Google, or a third party with a third party PIM services, since you almost assuredly have another account [elsewhere] if you use an iPhone, anyways.

Microsoft doesn't require a third party email account to set up their services, for example. You can create a Microsoft or Google account and use everything even if you have no other email address.

So what you meant to say was they don't let you use iCloud to SETUP your Apple ID...that's why I was confused by your first comment.
    06-09-2015 04:24 PM
    I have three email addresses and I have them plugged into three different apps.

I use the native Mail app for my personal address
    I use the GMail app for my work address
    I use the Outlook app for my spam/website sign up address

I actually find the native mail app to be a PITA and hope there are going to be some improvements in IOS 9.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    06-09-2015 09:27 PM
37 12