Apple Mail or a 3rd-party solution? - post WWDC announcement

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean they don't let you use iCloud as your Apple ID?

They don't let you use an apple hosted email to create an AppleID. You can log in with an iCloud Address afterwards, but you need an external email address not from Apple to create one. You need the AppleID before you can get iCloud.

This makes it easy to ignore iCloud PIM and their lackluster PIM apps and use those from Microsoft or Google, or a third party with a third party PIM services, since you almost assuredly have another account [elsewhere] if you use an iPhone, anyways.

Microsoft doesn't require a third party email account to set up their services, for example. You can create a Microsoft or Google account and use everything even if you have no other email address.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
They don't let you use an apple hosted email to create an AppleID. You can log in with an iCloud Address afterwards, but you need an external email address not from Apple to create one. You need the AppleID before you can get iCloud.

Probably because it would be tough to accomplish a password reset.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Probably because it would be tough to accomplish a password reset.

Not hard if you challenge using personal account info, like a ton of other places that haven't been compromised do (Microsoft, Google, etc.). There can always be the option to strengthen the account with two factor authentication and SMS, Email, etc. verification after the fact.

The requirement is vestigial, but they have not found a way to completely rid themselves of t.

Like I said. Microsoft and Google don't have that requirement and still allow you to sufficiently secure your account. That's a weak rationale for a system that basically makes your services take a back seat to a competitors.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

This makes it easy to ignore iCloud PIM and their lackluster PIM apps and use those from Microsoft or Google, or a third party with a third party PIM services, since you almost assuredly have another account [elsewhere] if you use an iPhone, anyways.

Microsoft doesn't require a third party email account to set up their services, for example. You can create a Microsoft or Google account and use everything even if you have no other email address.

So what you meant to say was they don't let you use iCloud to SETUP your Apple ID...that's why I was confused by your first comment.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I have three email addresses and I have them plugged into three different apps.

I use the native Mail app for my personal address
I use the GMail app for my work address
I use the Outlook app for my spam/website sign up address

I actually find the native mail app to be a PITA and hope there are going to be some improvements in IOS 9.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
So what you meant to say was they don't let you use iCloud to SETUP your Apple ID...that's why I was confused by your first comment.

Yes, as in, during setup they allow you to set up iCloud and then use the iCloud address as your Apple ID, instead of requiring you to have an external email address to set up the Apple ID, and then setting up iCloud afterwards.

I'm pretty aware of why they do it, to enforce only their hardware users create iCloud accounts (which means they aren't getting flooded with users who aren't using their actual hardware), but it's still an extremely clunky setup and forces iDevice and Mac users to maintain two accounts while other companies make it a bit easier to live within their ecosystem exclusively. Which also has privacy implications.

Because despite apple being a "herald" for privacy, every Song I buy, every Movie or TV Show that I rent/buy, and every app that I buy in iTunes causes them to send me an email to the Apple ID email address which can then be used by companies like Microsoft, Yahoo!, or Google for Ad Targeting if they scan your email. And that can lead to some awkward situations, especially for people who may allow others to use their PC even temporarily.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The cool thing about Apple is that they don't let you use iCloud as your Apple ID, which means for many of us... we had to have a different account somewhere else just to sign up for iTunes. I have a Microsoft Account.

Can use Outlook on my iPhone when the Mail app is insufficient (which it is, when it comes to attaching documents, etc.).

My Wife uses the iCloud email for her iCloud, iMessage, and FaceTime. But her iTunes ID is the same as mine.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I've tried all apps, yet keep coming back to stock mail.app. For me it's all about processing mail quickly, specifically opening the first message, then just tapping "archive" at the bottom of my iPhone and the next message opens. All other mail apps seem to want to put the message action buttons at the top (I'm talking about mailbox, boxer, outlook and everything else I've tried over the years). I just want the delete/archive button within easy reach, especially on the larger format iPhone 6 and 6+.

Mailbox offers the best swipe experience, however no Exchange syncing is a show stopper
Outlook offers some great features, however I find the mail inbox to waste a heap of screen space, the app is buggy and frequently crashes (for a few friends also)
** Bring back the Acompli multiple swipe gestures, allowing two options per direction
** Allow us to skip to the next field when writing an email also by pressing enter, like most other apps
Boxer offers a good set of features, however the "task" / "snooze" feature only works on one device, no syncing of this feature (user voice suggests it's coming)
Inbox from gmail, a step beyond what I'm comfortable with for fast efficient processing of email

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I would like to use the native Mail app, assuming it will support attachments (documents) from more than iCloud Drive. Currently using Gmail app on iOS 8.3 which does have access to Google Drive documents, albeit via links to the document and not a full attachment.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I am sticking with the Mail - I have tried other alternatives but every single one of them seems to have some or the other limitations.

Mail is broken - in general...

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I would like to use the native Mail app, assuming it will support attachments (documents) from more than iCloud Drive. Currently using Gmail app on iOS 8.3 which does have access to Google Drive documents, albeit via links to the document and not a full attachment.

It does. It supports attachments from any app that has file picker integration.
Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
My Wife uses the iCloud email for her iCloud, iMessage, and FaceTime. But her iTunes ID is the same as mine.

Has nothing to do with what I said. You cannot use a .iCloud.com, .me.com, .mac.com, etc. email address for your Apple ID (which is your iTunes Store account).

iCloud is just another service that Apple offers to their device owners, but you cannot get iCloud without owning an Apple device and having an Apple ID to which the server much be attached - which means that even if you have multiple devices that use different iCloud IDs, you at least have to have one non-Apple email address on that device.

For the millions of people who aren't sharing iTunes Accounts with other people (which is not necessary anymore, with Family Sharing), you need an additional email account on an iDevice or Mac unless you decide you don't need iCloud at all and thus never sign up for it.

iCloud PIM, iMessage, and FaceTime are tied to the iCloud Account of the person using the device, not the AppleID. Though you can set it up to allow you to receive calls/messages directed to your AppleID email address, many people I know remove the non-Apple email address from that list to streamline things.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've tried all apps, yet keep coming back to stock mail.app. For me it's all about processing mail quickly, specifically opening the first message, then just tapping "archive" at the bottom of my iPhone and the next message opens. All other mail apps seem to want to put the message action buttons at the top (I'm talking about mailbox, boxer, outlook and everything else I've tried over the years). I just want the delete/archive button within easy reach, especially on the larger format iPhone 6 and 6+.

Mailbox offers the best swipe experience, however no Exchange syncing is a show stopper
Outlook offers some great features, however I find the mail inbox to waste a heap of screen space, the app is buggy and frequently crashes (for a few friends also)
** Bring back the Acompli multiple swipe gestures, allowing two options per direction
** Allow us to skip to the next field when writing an email also by pressing enter, like most other apps
Boxer offers a good set of features, however the "task" / "snooze" feature only works on one device, no syncing of this feature (user voice suggests it's coming)
Inbox from gmail, a step beyond what I'm comfortable with for fast efficient processing of email

I don't like the multiple options per direction because it inherently slows me down when processing mail, as I am being too careful with it due to accidentally Trashing emails and having to undo it. I don't see the real appeal of it, it's just an accident waiting to happen for a lot of people (a reversible accident, but an accident nonetheless).

There is nothing to allows a person to know where the threshold for the swipe lengths are. They don't know how far they can go before an Archive turns into a Delete, or before a Schedule swipe may become Mark as Read/Unread, etc.

That being said, I generally prefer apps developed by first party specifically for their mail service, because not all services work the same.

For example, I use VIP for some people in iCloud mail, and the only mail client that handles that gracefully (both in user interface, and at the granular notification level) is Apple's mail client. When I used Gmail, there's just no way I could use anything other than Google's app because the design of that service almost demands a decent client developed specifically for it. Microsoft's Windows Mail app on Windows 8.1 is similar to Apple's OS X and iOS mail clients. It doesn't work that well for many services, but it was designed for Outlook.com and productivity is high when using it with that service (Quick Actions for Archiving, Integration with Categories, the way it handles Favorites), which makes it kind of hard to use anything else (even Outlook 2013) after you've gotten used to it.

None of them are perfect, in my eyes, but some are more appropriate for specific services than others. They just work better with those services.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Has nothing to do with what I said. You cannot use a .iCloud.com, .me.com, .mac.com, etc. email address for your Apple ID (which is your iTunes Store account).

iCloud is just another service that Apple offers to their device owners, but you cannot get iCloud without owning an Apple device and having an Apple ID to which the server much be attached - which means that even if you have multiple devices that use different iCloud IDs, you at least have to have one non-Apple email address on that device.

For the millions of people who aren't sharing iTunes Accounts with other people (which is not necessary anymore, with Family Sharing), you need an additional email account on an iDevice or Mac unless you decide you don't need iCloud at all and thus never sign up for it.

iCloud PIM, iMessage, and FaceTime are tied to the iCloud Account of the person using the device, not the AppleID. Though you can set it up to allow you to receive calls/messages directed to your AppleID email address, many people I know remove the non-Apple email address from that list to streamline things.

You made a general statement that iCloud email could not be used for the Apple ID. I was pointing out that my Wife dies, in fact, use her iCloud email address for iCloud, iMessage and Facetime ID's. Just not iTunes. So it does relate.

Last edited:

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
You cannot use a .iCloud.com, .me.com, .mac.com, etc. email address for your Apple ID (which is your iTunes Store account).

.icloud.com can surely be used for Apple ID. My parents created one each, when they got their iphone 5s's and used the .icloud email ID's for their Apple ID and itunes.

lightning8888

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm sticking with the native app. I did however turn off "contacts found in mail" feature as I found that to be a little problematic with my contacts list showing just a phone number instead of the persons name. When I turned that off my contact list returned to normal.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR