Well I enjoyed that 😊 but.. Iphone split screen..

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't agree with the first part of your message. If multitasking was to be available to older gen, it would have been presented yesterday. May be it will be exclusive to the next iphone (6s plus only?) thanks to force touch or something

When have they ever split up an OS and given one device part of it but not another? Hardware, yes. But I don't recall Apple doing that with software. Not as part of a new OS. That said, it may take more RAM. If so, then only the new phones coming this September have a chance. We can speculate all day, but we won't know for sure until September.



Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Well I'm stoked:
The split screen feature was something I sorely missed from my Note Pro, I used it all the time. And frankly I don't give a fig about who did what first, if they're coming out with a rip off of Flipboard etc:
Apple takes the time to do it right, that's the difference.
It looks to me as if El Capitan and IOS9 are basically improved versions of Yosemite and IOS8 and I'm content with that:
The idea, for me, is not to have my skirt flipped over "groundbreaking innovations" every single year, it's to have a product that works.
If groundbreaking innovations show up with the stampede, cool.
But if my devices work even better and facilitate my work and enjoyment, I'm happy.
Life is good. :biggrin:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
When have they ever split up an OS and given one device part of it but not another? Hardware, yes. But I don't recall Apple doing that with software. Not as part of a new OS. That said, it may take more RAM. If so, then only the new phones coming this September have a chance. We can speculate all day, but we won't know for sure until September.



They've done it many times...Siri would be a good example.

Last edited:

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I really wish Apple would do split screen like Samsung in portrait. I don't want two really tall apps displayed side by side in portrait. Put one on top of the other.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
That makes nonsense at all.

It's ok for you to have a different opinion...my opinion is that Apple made it a house hold name by pressuring more commonly used stores and banks to get legitimately involved, making it a more useful feature than it was before (hence the "house hold name" comment). Nothing you said is news to me, and I never insinuated that Apple created NFC...I just reflected that they made it a big enough deal for the majority of the retailers and banks to finally take it seriously because there would finally be the consumer base to justify it on such a broad scale.

Telespielstube

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I would love to have the split screen on my iPhone 6+ I used this feature a lot on my old broken Note 3. But with only 1 GB of RAM it is not possible, at least not fluid, iOS has to keep both apps in the memory to do the scrolling Federighi did on stage. If the next iPhone has more RAM then it will get this functionality.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It makes perfect sense...you just don't agree. Apple put NFC on the iPhone, and it brought more retailers/banks to the table ready to full integrate it into their stores. I'm not sure what you're so confused about...

NFC isn't just about mobile payments. You're using the hyping up of one service, which is nothing more than a superset of stuff that had already existed for almost a decade as rationale for pretending that they bought NFC to the mainstream. NFC was in use for years before Apple Pay existed. Banks are using it in CCs and in Europe and some parts of Asia that technology was going mainstream long before Apple got into the mix. The only thing Apple did was partner with Banks for one slice of that huge pie.

Apple didn't bring NFC to the mainstream. The problem is the USA is lagging behind a lot of other markets in actually using the technology others have been benefitting from for several years.

NFC is also about easily pairing device, easily sharing information, etc. None of which the iPhone does. The iPhone's NFC is virtually invisible to the user, and they don't even really market it as such because the only reason it's there is to facilitate mobile payments - because NFC was already mainstream before they got there and they had no choice but to adopt that specific technology to do it. Otherwise, in typical Apple fashion (they're the new Microsoft when it comes to this stuff), they'd have created their own personal "standard" for accomplishing it.

Apple Pay is riding on the success of the iPhone among the affluent sector of the smartphone market. Android, even if they had a similar system (when Wallet Launched), probably still wouldn't have gained as much notoriety simply due to the fact that the majority of its user base is decidedly low end and has no need for this.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods