Notifications (rMBP/iPhone)

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Hey everyone. Random question. When I get an iMessage on both my MacBook and phone and I read it on the MacBook it automatically clears/marks read/removes app badge on the phone.

This doesn't happen with email. Just curious why. I still have to open the mail app and it will update.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone. Random question. When I get an iMessage on both my MacBook and phone and I read it on the MacBook it automatically clears/marks read/removes app badge on the phone.

This doesn't happen with email. Just curious why. I still have to open the mail app and it will update.

Thanks.

How is the email account configured on each device? Are both devices set up as IMAP? If so, it should clear/mark the email read. If either (or both) is set up as POP3, it won't clear.

With mail configured as IMAP you are working with the original email on the server. With POP3, you are working with a local copy of the email on your device.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
How is the email account configured on each device? Are both devices set up as IMAP? If so, it should clear/mark the email read. If either (or both) is set up as POP3, it won't clear.

With mail configured as IMAP you are working with the original email on the server. With POP3, you are working with a local copy of the email on your device.

Ok. I'll check that now. They are both iCloud that I just signed into to setup.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site

Ok. MacBook is IMAP. Only thing on the phone I see is SMTP in advanced setting.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
It it helps. When I clear Mail on the phone it automatically marks read on the MacBook but not vice versa

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Assuming the mail accounts on both devices are both set to anything other than POP, reading on one will eventually update on the other. The timing, however, may vary depending on if it's push or pull to update. If it's push, it should update almost immediately. If it's pull, then there may be a delay of up to whatever the check interval is set to on your iPhone.

The messaging is probably immediate due to Handoff.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Assuming the mail accounts on both devices are both set to anything other than POP, reading on one will eventually update on the other. The timing, however, may vary depending on if it's push or pull to update. If it's push, it should update almost immediately. If it's pull, then there may be a delay of up to whatever the check interval is set to on your iPhone.

The messaging is probably immediate due to Handoff.

I see. I'm not 100% sure about the POP setting for the phone bc I don't see it. But both accounts are iCloud and push is set for every mailbox on the phone. Just weird if I read an email on the MacBook the phone doesn't update until I open the app

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I see. I'm not 100% sure about the POP setting for the phone bc I don't see it. But both accounts are iCloud and push is set for every mailbox on the phone. Just weird if I read an email on the MacBook the phone doesn't update until I open the app

iCloud mail is all IMAP, so there's no POP3 mail involved.

Are you saying that if you read your mail on your rMB, when you go to the phone it is not marked read? Can you explain the last sentence? If you read the mail on the MacBook, it doesn't update on the phone until you open the app... what is the state of the mail app on the phone when you are reading the mail on the rMB?

It should update real time, but in my experience there is always a lag when updating the mail app on the phone - sometimes it lags in showing the unread email count, and sometimes it lags in clearing the unread email count ("badge").

What happens to the email count on your rMB when you read the unread email on your phone? How quickly does that badge update? My guess is that it depends on how often you are fetching email on your rMB. I don't think that the updates to the badging are immediate in either case - there will always be some lag.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Sorry. So if I get an iMessage on both devices. If I open the message on the MacBook the badge automatically clears on the phone without any intervention from me and vice versa. If I open the message on the phone it clears the badge by itself on the MacBook.

For email:

If I get the same email on both and open the email on my phone my MacBook clears the badge, deletes the message, etc. If I open the email on the MacBook first and read/delete, the badge doesn't ever clear on its own without me physically opening the app and allowing it to update.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Sorry. So if I get an iMessage on both devices. If I open the message on the MacBook the badge automatically clears on the phone without any intervention from me and vice versa. If I open the message on the phone it clears the badge by itself on the MacBook.

For email:

If I get the same email on both and open the email on my phone my MacBook clears the badge, deletes the message, etc. If I open the email on the MacBook first and read/delete, the badge doesn't ever clear on its own without me physically opening the app and allowing it to update.

I believe that's how it works. If the mail app is not open, it cannot poll the server for new mail/updated state of unread mail. The way text/SMS/iMessages get pushed out is not the same as the way email gets pushed/fetched.

AFAIK, it's just how it works.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The OP is talking about the iCloud mail, and not gmail... but you are correct regarding the lack of push for gmail on the iPhone/iPad.

I don't use my iCloud mail much. But I thought it did use Push. Maybe not. LOL I thought they all did except Gmail.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro