Slugishness and no Messages with iOS 8.3 (iPhone 5)

wotsit1982

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi

Becoming increasingly alarming how buggy Apple's iOS software is getting.

I have just updated by other half's iPhone 5 because of severe battery issues, in the hope 8.3 might help. However the handset is EXTREMELY sluggish. Messages was loading very slowly and when you double click he home button the windows preview shows half the screen as the message list and half the screen as the message thread of whatever thread is at the top.

I then went into the Messages settings which was also extremely sluggish and wouldn't load at first. When it did I couldn't toggle on/off iMessage - nothing was happening.

I took the SIM card out and it started working fine and was able to toggle iMessage on and off.

Messages were switching between only showing one message in the message history and then the full history. Now, no messages are showing at all!

Has anyone else come across this? I've never had to roll back an update before - is it easy to do?!

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
From my experience and from what I've read, iOS 8.3 appears to be very stable. That is not to say there are not some people with issues, but overall it's solid.

wotsit1982

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Indeed, that's why I did the update. But it has, in effect, broken my wife's iPhone 5 - which is pretty unacceptable. Trying a full erase and restore. Just have zero faith in the updates from Apple these days. Not letting 8.3 anywhere near my iPhone 6.

iOS 8 seems to be cursed.

wotsit1982

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Erase and restore has failed to fix the problem.

Screen freezes continue in Settings and Messages apps.

Some message threads have some history - most only showing last message. Screen freezes for about a minute when trying to load each message thread.

What a disaster. :(

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Like above I would wipe via iTunes and DFU mode and do a new install. It's a pain but it will almost definitely fix any issues. I'm using a 5C with a clean install and it works great.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Erase and restore has failed to fix the problem.

Screen freezes continue in Settings and Messages apps.

Some message threads have some history - most only showing last message. Screen freezes for about a minute when trying to load each message thread.

What a disaster. :(

Then something else is wrong with your iPhone 5. My iPhone 5 that my youngest son now uses runs well with iOS 8.3, and I updated it OTA. If you did a clean install and then set up your device as new, and not from a backup, then your device should run quite smoothly and not in the manner you're depicting. I recommend that you not go to Settings - General - Reset and then do an Erase All Contents and Settings, but put the iPhone in DFU mode and then restore it via iTunes via a computer.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Dunno. All I can say is that my iPhone 5 is running fine with iOS8.3, updated OTA over 8.2. When you restored, did you restore everything, or restore as new?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi

Becoming increasingly alarming how buggy Apple's iOS software is getting.

I have just updated by other half's iPhone 5 because of severe battery issues, in the hope 8.3 might help. However the handset is EXTREMELY sluggish. Messages was loading very slowly and when you double click he home button the windows preview shows half the screen as the message list and half the screen as the message thread of whatever thread is at the top.

I then went into the Messages settings which was also extremely sluggish and wouldn't load at first. When it did I couldn't toggle on/off iMessage - nothing was happening.

I took the SIM card out and it started working fine and was able to toggle iMessage on and off.

Messages were switching between only showing one message in the message history and then the full history. Now, no messages are showing at all!

Has anyone else come across this? I've never had to roll back an update before - is it easy to do?!

My iP 5 does great on 8.3. How much available space does it have? If it's near full, it may be constraining the system. If so, delete some stuff off.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

wotsit1982

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all.

No where near full - not much on it at all. All that really matters is photos and messages - but it seems to be messages causing the problem. Battery also seems worse than ever.

I'll try a fresh install as I did a restore.

benji888578

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I would try signing out of iTunes/iCloud and sign back in.

Then, check all of your iCloud settings.

My Mac likes to check 2 of 3 boxes for Photos when I have it turned off completely, so, signing in seems to use some factory defaults that need to be changed. Be sure, if you use iCloud with other apple devices that settings for photos are consistent.

If this does not work, after all you already tried, I personally would try doing a restore via iTunes, and set it up as a new phone. This is time consuming, take a night and do it, so you can let it sync your apps and music at night, it will take some time, but, will likely be worth it.

Haseeb Rehman

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I never heard of this problem before. Try removing sim card and then using the iPhone and see if that helps. Also, make sure to set up your iPhone as NEW. Don't go for the backup option after restoring and that should definitely help.

Dan Smith56

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I have the exactly the same issue, recently wiped everything to send off my phone for repair due to a charging port issue.

When receiving the phone back I restored my contacts and info from Icloud and now I am unable to toggle Imessage on or off and if I go into messages it freezes for about 30 secs before it shows anything, and if I go into a message all the previous messages to that contact arent there.

I've tried everything to correct the issue, but nothing seems to fix the problem.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73