siri speech recognition

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed Siri is much worse at recognizing my speech after iOS8. is this happening to anybody else?
for instance I use a service called Cart access to drive me places because I can't see to drive. I've always been able to say "call cart access" and it would. now it will say "I can't find "car x is" in your contacts.

its gone from mostly reliable to pretty much useless. as far as I can tell I haven't developed any serious speech impediment issues in the past few months. so I am curious if others are having this issue and if there's any news about it. maybe a known issue apple is working on.

I know Siri has always had some issue understanding people with southern accents and I've never been able to trust it for dictation, but as I say it used to be reliable enough for setting timers, alarm clocks and calling people. It's not now. I can't even say "what's the weather now as it thinks I said "what's the matter" or sometimes "What's the rather?"

this isn't to bash apple as google is no better, but siri used to kind of work so I'm a bit disappointed.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I haven't noticed Siri being any worse. I never have problems with her understanding what I'm saying--it a quite environment. FYI: I'm originally from St. Louis, so I don't have a Southern accent.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Siri, in iOS 8, specifically 8.3, works well for me, but it always have. There's hiccups here and there, but 98% of the time, it works perfectly for me.

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I was kinda hoping I'd see that it was an issue that apple was working on.

I guess I'll just have to hope apple works on making the iphone's Siri understand people with accents.

I like the idea of giving my phone commands and it doing stuff, just like star trek. if only it worked. if any apple programmers are reading this, please make Siri work better for southerners and others with accents. I really want to be able to use this feature.

BSUNesto

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I've noticed the same thing. For example texting my brother has changed. I used to tell her "text Dan 'last name' I'm running ten minutes late.", and it would be perfect. Over the last couple months it's become "text Dan 'last name' I'm running ten minutes late" and Siri comes back with "which Dan?"
"Dan 'last name1"
"Dan 'last name2"
"Dan 'last name3"

So I'll select #1 and the text message populates as:

"'Last name' I'm running ten minutes late"

It's not just him it does it with, that's the results I get with a bunch of other contacts as well. As you've said, she does this with all kinds of other request too. Like you, I don't think that I've changed my speech, so something has changed on the server side. Hope it clears up soon.

Nerd

BSUNesto

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Oh, one more thing I've noticed. Sometimes I make a request like "what time does the sunset?", and then Siri will just hang waiting for more dictation. I'll have to manually tap the bottom of the screen to get her to respond. Never had a problem with it, recently it happens 2 out every 5 times I use Siri from the lock screen. Weird

Nerd

redsharktibby

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
It only happens when you're using it on the lock screen? Usually from my experience, Siri only hangs to wait for more dictation when there's a lot of background noise. The only problems I've ever had with Siri is when I sometimes talk to fast, she doesn't get what I'm trying to say, otherwise no problems here as I still use Siri a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BSUNesto

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Typically yes, only on the lock screen. I have a 5, and I use a 27 digit alphanumerical pass code, so I typically like to use Siri instead of unlocking and opening apps. There is usually very little background noise. If I'm out and about I use a BT headset. I never have any problems with the headset, Siri almost always gets it right.

Nerd

Larry Cook1

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I find Siri very helpful and haven't had any trouble having her understand me. I have even used it in a crowded gym and she heard and understood.

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
just for fun I decided today after trying again and failing and having to resort to pulling up the info manually, I record myself. first you hear me make two attempts to ask Siri to call Cart Access. (keep in mind this is in my contacts and used to work perfectly)

below is the screencaps and audio. for bonus there's a second audio where I say the incorrect words Siri heard, along with cart access, then for good measure I say the word fiddle and federal. I have in the past tried to ask Siri to schedule a fiddle lesson only to have it think I want a federal lesson.

if I asked Siri for shows with Mike Hawke (like his survival series) and Siri thought I wanted movies with my private parts, I'd laugh but understand. but when it can't tell a 3 syllable word from a two syllable word that sound nothing alike, that frustrates me to no end. fiddle and federal and cardiac and cart access sound nothing alike.

https://soundcloud.com/john-flud/sets/siri-sucks

IMG_0563.jpgIMG_0564.jpg