Maybe this has been asked and answered before (I didnt find a good solution in my searching), but

When one receives an email on their iPhone, with embedded images, etc. and then replies, why does it deliver the email to the recipient and breaks it apart?
    It basically moves the embedded images to attachments, and sometimes will even add a .TXT file to the email. The .TXT portion seems to happen if the iPhone user has a signature.

Is this just how iOS works, or is there a modification to correct this? Thanks in advance

Posted in iOS, since I believe this is related to the OS. Feel free to move it accordingly.
    04-16-2015 01:25 PM
  2. mikeo007 said: Best Answer

The default behaviour of the iOS mail app is to strip out inline images in a reply. The logic behind it is that the sender already has the images. Not always true obviously, so not the best solution for everyone.

I've never seen it actually move the pictures to attachments instead of embedded. I've also never seen it attach my signature as a file. What you may be seeing is a conflict between different email clients and servers. Sometimes the email server will attach .txt files or other things to the email chain. Some email clients will embed the image inline and as an attachment to the same email.
    Check out the iMore article, if you haven't already, via the following link.

iOS 8 wants: Better file attachment handling | iMore
    anon(153966) likes this.
    04-16-2015 02:08 PM
    The default behaviour of the iOS mail app is to strip out inline images in a reply. The logic behind it is that the sender already has the images. Not always true obviously, so not the best solution for everyone.

I've never seen it actually move the pictures to attachments instead of embedded. I've also never seen it attach my signature as a file. What you may be seeing is a conflict between different email clients and servers. Sometimes the email server will attach .txt files or other things to the email chain. Some email clients will embed the image inline and as an attachment to the same email.
    04-16-2015 02:34 PM
    I've actually seen this happen in exchange email also. As above the sender already has the attachments so why resend them. It's saves on bandwidth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-16-2015 05:41 PM
    What email provider are you using? It might of course be related to the settings you have within gmail or hotmail if that's what you're using? - it may actually not be iOS doing it as some of the email providers have services in place to not allow embedded images for mobile devices etc.
    04-16-2015 07:42 PM
    The email provider is Office 365. But, to be honest I notice the issue when other employees email from their iPhones.
    04-16-2015 10:21 PM