Can I get some help with Emails and attachments?

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Emails and attachments

Maybe this has been asked and answered before (I didn?t find a good solution in my searching), but?

When one receives an email on their iPhone, with embedded images, etc. and then replies, why does it deliver the email to the recipient and breaks it apart?
It basically ?moves? the embedded images to attachments, and sometimes will even add a .TXT file to the email. The .TXT portion seems to happen if the iPhone user has a signature.

Is this just how iOS works, or is there a modification to correct this? Thanks in advance

Posted in iOS, since I believe this is related to the OS. Feel free to move it accordingly.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Emails and attachments

The default behaviour of the iOS mail app is to strip out inline images in a reply. The logic behind it is that the sender already has the images. Not always true obviously, so not the best solution for everyone.

I've never seen it actually move the pictures to attachments instead of embedded. I've also never seen it attach my signature as a file. What you may be seeing is a conflict between different email clients and servers. Sometimes the email server will attach .txt files or other things to the email chain. Some email clients will embed the image inline and as an attachment to the same email.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

I've actually seen this happen in exchange email also. As above the sender already has the attachments so why resend them. It's saves on bandwidth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site

What email provider are you using? It might of course be related to the settings you have within gmail or hotmail if that's what you're using? - it may actually not be iOS doing it as some of the email providers have services in place to not allow embedded images for mobile devices etc.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site

The email provider is Office 365. But, to be honest I notice the issue when other employees email from their iPhones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2