Photo Library and iCloud Backup

Pipester

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
At the launch of iOS 8, I elected to bump my iCloud storage up from the free 5 GB to the 99 cent 20 GB plan. My reasons were sound, and it is the same reason why I bought the 128 GB iPhone 6.... I planned on going crazy with pictures and videos.

Before this week, I would back up my iPhone to the iCloud and include Photos and Videos in the back up. Now that we have the iCloud Photo Library and everything is automagically stored there, I am pretty sure that I can turn OFF the option to backup photos and videos. Reason being, is that there would now be TWO copies of photos stored to the same location.

I wanted to put this out there for two reasons. One - to bring awareness when most users inevitably gets the 'Unable to back up/Out of storage space' warning. And two - to make sure my logic is sound..... it is sound.... right?!

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about that one. I also would like to know. Right now I use one drive because I have office 365 and the storage is unlimited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't use iCloud Photo Library. I store photos and videos in Box, Dropbox and OneDrive. I use my 5 free gb of iCloud storage for back up of what is currently on my phone.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Nabooy

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
So are you saying it is not a good idea to have both pictures and videos backed up to iCloud Photo Library? Also, how do I get them back after a fresh new install of iOS? Do I have to go to the Photos app in the phone itself and download the photos from iCloud Library or how does this thing works exactly?

Pipester

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
If you have iCloud Photo Library enabled on any/all of your devices Apple is automatically syncing the photos to/from the cloud. This includes pics you take with your iPhone or add manually through your computer. They are always in the cloud making it redundant to backup your photos.

Since I have iCloud Photo Library, if I were to go out and buy an new iPhone, I wouldn't have to restore from a backup to get my photos back. I would just add my iCloud account and all my photos would appear.

Does that help?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you have iCloud Photo Library enabled on any/all of your devices Apple is automatically syncing the photos to/from the cloud. This includes pics you take with your iPhone or add manually through your computer. They are always in the cloud making it redundant to backup your photos......
I disagree. You can never be too careful in protecting precious photos. The cloud is subject to failure just like any other electronic device and thus why not make several copies and keep them in several places, just in case?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So are you saying it is not a good idea to have both pictures and videos backed up to iCloud Photo Library? Also, how do I get them back after a fresh new install of iOS? Do I have to go to the Photos app in the phone itself and download the photos from iCloud Library or how does this thing works exactly?

I'm saying I'm not willing to pay for the necessary storage in iCloud to cover storing photos and videos in iCloud Photo Library plus the back up of what's currently on my device. If you don't mind paying for more than the 5 free gb, then it's a great way to store your photos and videos. But you might want to store them in other places as well, such as on your computer or on cloud based apps like Box and Dropbox.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
How do I keep my photos on my iCloud Library after deleting them from my phone? I don't always want all of them taking up space on my poor little 16GB 6 Plus but I don't want them deleted from the iCloud library when I delete them from my phone either.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you can. Once you delete them they are gone. That's why I use one drive.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you can. Once you delete them they are gone. That's why I use one drive.

Thanks for the tip. Sitting in class downloading one drive now. Signed into the site and found those MS Office files I created playing around on my iPad last week. Haha

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Nice. I pay for Office 365 so ingest unlimited cloud storage included. Not a bad deal. Good for 5 people and 5 computers and 10 devices for $99 a year.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods