Safari crashes

p51

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Is Apple going to issue a fix for the increasingly frequent safari browser crashes I've been encountering?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If Apple determines there is indeed an issue... It will be fixed. I've not noticed any crashes in my daily use of Safari on my devices.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Safari has crashed on me with iOS 8.x.x., although infrequently. Have not seen any since updating to iOS 8.1.3.

To be fair, other third party apps along with other native iOS apps (Reminders, Music) are also crashing more frequently than Safari. Some of the third party apps are crashing multiple times a week, and as much as I like it (a high quality weather app), I'm going to experiment and remove that app. Given the frequency of crashes that I'm seeing for the weather app; it may be that its causing or contributing to some of the overall app (Native and 3rd party) instability. Not saying that Safari is perfect, but removing some of the other potential triggers may help reduce the crash frequency potential.

I suggest enabling crash reporting in Privacy, that way Apple gets details about crashing apps so that they can evaluate to better understand the issue, and hopefully come up with a fix.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Count me among those who have yet to experience any crashes with Safari running iOS 8.1.3...;)

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
^^^That's good to hear. I had another crash this afternoon. I haven't done a restore as new, restore from backup in quite some time and have taken several updates OTA. If there is a bug in the Safari code, I don't think that the restore process can fix that, but it won't hurt and is probably something that Apple support will tell me to do if I open a case.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
^^^That's good to hear. I had another crash this afternoon. I haven't done a restore as new, restore from backup in quite some time and have taken several updates OTA. If there is a bug in the Safari code, I don't think that the restore process can fix that, but it won't hurt and is probably something that Apple support will tell me to do if I open a case.

I understand, and believe me when I say I use Mobile Safari every day and throughout each day, and it has yet to crash on me.

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I just experienced safari crash a couple of minutes ago.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
No crashes on Safari with iOS 8. There were some freezing issues early on, but those have been fixed. Safari does seem a bit slow. It takes most everything too long to load. It might just be my tired old iP 5.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

applefanman

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Edit: Experimented a bit, this crash happens when I use the GoogleStarbucks wifi, but not on 3G. So, it probably has something to do with the browser missing something on regulated wifi. However, it is reproducible, and connectivity issues should not crash the browser.

-- original--
How can we help Apple 'determine' there is an issue. i have a URL on which it crashes everytime the first time. A second launch works. Is it possible to file a bug with Apple and send them this URL? This crash is happening only after 8.2 update. Last time I saw this was because any location permission on the websites had to be redone, -Apple didn't migrate the permissions and was confusing itself. This time it seems to be something else.

Last edited:

Febe RIP 68

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
Kieth
My first generation IPad crashes about everytime Iuse it. I blamed it on age and its inability to recieve current updates. But after reading some posts, I am not so sure it entirely regarding age, as consumers with newer devices are experiencing same issues. Telling us you have no problem, does not reflect the number of posts saying they are...you must be lucky. But, I am new and really do not know if anything can be done. Is there something we can try out of frustration before dumping entirely?

Thanks for any hlp you may be able to give me, realizing you do not have a problem, therefore you do not know of a remedy.

Thank you.......great place to learn.....

G1ggs

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
-- original--
How can we help Apple 'determine' there is an issue. i have a URL on which it crashes everytime the first time. A second launch works. Is it possible to file a bug with Apple and send them this URL? This crash is happening only after 8.2 update. Last time I saw this was because any location permission on the websites had to be redone, -Apple didn't migrate the permissions and was confusing itself. This time it seems to be something else.

You can send an email to Support part of Apple (I don't remember email of them, please check it), explain your issue beside your iOS and device. If they have some email as same as you, they will 'determine' and will fix it in next iOS.

dflewellen

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
I am happy to hear so many people who do not have a problem with Safari crashes. However, that in no way negates the problems reported by those of us who ARE having problems. Since IOS 8+, my Safari, in an iPad Air, crashes EVERY time I go to enter something on the address bar. That is until I trash the cache and history. EVERY time! So please do not dismiss those who continue to try to find a solution to their problem... Which you are not experiencing and therefore cannot provide relevant solutions to their problems. I have found nothing to fix this since I cannot uninstall this application separately (ala Microsoft). To tell someone to completely restore their entire system is a brute force solution like using a hammer to fix a touch screen. If there are any relevant solutions to this, please assist those of us who are in need and who do not need bystanders telling us they have no problem. That is the pat answer provided by every third-world help desk for major vendors of today. Also, pointing at other vendors as the problem does not resolve issues and does not improve the world of incredibly sloppy software development. And to imply the end user is ignorant, incompetent, or simply not in the inner circle of "cool" users is a disservice to those who want to use these products but encounter the limitations of software reliability.

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Glad to know your iPad is ingredients well with iOS 8.2, my iPad however has slowed incredibly and Safari will go blank every few minutes telling me that there was a problem with the web page and it has to be reloaded... After about an hour of these crash/reloads, Safari will then quit completely... Shutting itself down and require reloading. If I try to google something, the keyboard will disappear after the first letter is entered. All in all, ios8 has had the effect of turning my iPad into something less than a Kindle - reducing its usefulness to only browsing news articles (even those fault out )

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234