1st time Touch ID user

fatfury

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Though I've been an iPhone user since the 3G, this 6 Plus is the first device that I've had the pleasure using Apples Touch ID. for those of you who've used it before, I'm sure you already know how awesome it is. Being that this was my first go at setting up my device to recognize my fingerprints, when asked to place my finger on the sensor, I placed my index (pointer finger) on the sensor and lifted when asked, then placed on sensor when asked, etc. Not knowing that it would later ask me to hold my phone comfortably in one hand and place my finger again on the sensor and repeat those steps, the only finger that I could comfortably use, was my thumb this time. I quickly realized this whole set up was meant for one (1) finger. As a result, one finger slot got assigned to recognize two fingers (index finger AND thumb). I repeated the same steps with the same fingers on the OTHER hand though, and it resulted in memorizing finger slot 2 with two fingers also. I thought this was kind of neat, so I figured I would share. Has anyone else noticed this too?

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
No, I'm on iOS 7 iPhone 5s and I don't have such setup or Touch ID. It's one slot 1 finger, and I can register a max of 5 fingers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Though I've been an iPhone user since the 3G, this 6 Plus is the first device that I've had the pleasure using Apples Touch ID. for those of you who've used it before, I'm sure you already know how awesome it is. Being that this was my first go at setting up my device to recognize my fingerprints, when asked to place my finger on the sensor, I placed my index (pointer finger) on the sensor and lifted when asked, then placed on sensor when asked, etc. Not knowing that it would later ask me to hold my phone comfortably in one hand and place my finger again on the sensor and repeat those steps, the only finger that I could comfortably use, was my thumb this time. I quickly realized this whole set up was meant for one (1) finger. As a result, one finger slot got assigned to recognize two fingers (index finger AND thumb). I repeated the same steps with the same fingers on the OTHER hand though, and it resulted in memorizing finger slot 2 with two fingers also. I thought this was kind of neat, so I figured I would share. Has anyone else noticed this too?

You make it sound complicated. I don't have it yet. I'm on iP 5.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

fatfury

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Haha, it's actually not complicated at all.

Sent from my Space Gray iPhone from a galaxy far far away using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I would think that Touch ID will read what it was fed even if it's ridges from different fingers in one slot. That slot could prove to be inconsistent depending on how the finger is placed.

fatfury

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I would think that Touch ID will read what it was fed even if it's ridges from different fingers in one slot. That slot could prove to be inconsistent depending on how the finger is placed.

Exactly. All I'm saying is that I think it's pretty cool that for one finger slot I can use either my thumb or my index finger to unlock my iPhone. Since the sensor is pretty intuitive, it still recognized my thumb and index finger no matter the position and it only used up one finger slot lol

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. All I'm saying is that I think it's pretty cool that for one finger slot I can use either my thumb or my index finger to unlock my iPhone. Since the sensor is pretty intuitive, it still recognized my thumb and index finger no matter the position and it only used up one finger slot lol

It's a great feature.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Its useful, I used it a couple of months ago, but it isn't as accurate as setting up a single finger for a slot.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2