Why isn't my daughters Family Share App Request going through?

bothfly

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Family Share App Request

So I'm the Organizer of my family. My Wife and 10 year old are on there all setup. My Wife is listed as a Paren.
So when my Daughter wants to get an App the request for permission to download that app only goes to my Wifes phone or computer, nothing comes to my devices.
Can't figure out why.
We all have separate Apple IDs, everything is working as it should except I get no download requests from my Daughter, anyone know why?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Family Share App Request

Retrace your steps when setting Family Share up. As the organizer, you should get that info. If you can't find any errors, I would call or email iTunes. I usually email them with issues. They've been good at replying and very helpful.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Family Share App Request

I don't know why you don't get them. As the organizer you should get them. Your wife gets them because you flipped the switch in set up to make her a parent. You can Unselect that if she doesn't want to get the notifications. Maybe try that and see if you get them with her switch off. Seems odd that you don't get them as the organizer though.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

bothfly

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site

I don't know why you don't get them. As the organizer you should get them. Your wife gets them because you flipped the switch in set up to make her a parent. You can Unselect that if she doesn't want to get the notifications. Maybe try that and see if you get them with her switch off. Seems odd that you don't get them as the organizer though.

I've tried all of this, unchecking my Wife as a parent did not give me a notification from my 10 year old.
Now one thing I have noticed is that on my 10 year olds phone everything seems to be setup correct, her name iCloud act ect. My iCloud account for the iTunes and Apps, but when my wife gets the app request, it says MY name is requesting the download, not my daughters name. So thats weird.
I suppose I could delete it all and re set it up

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

I've tried all of this, unchecking my Wife as a parent did not give me a notification from my 10 year old.
Now one thing I have noticed is that on my 10 year olds phone everything seems to be setup correct, her name iCloud act ect. My iCloud account for the iTunes and Apps, but when my wife gets the app request, it says MY name is requesting the download, not my daughters name. So thats weird.
I suppose I could delete it all and re set it up

That sounds very strange. I would probably delete it all and start over. I wish I could help more but I am not sure where it went wrong. Starting over sounds like your best bet.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Ok. That's the problem. Your daughter needs to be logged into her Apple ID for iTunes/AppStore. In Family Sharing, each person uses their own AppleId.

Good catch. I missed that he said that.

bothfly

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site

Ok. That's the problem. Your daughter needs to be logged into her Apple ID for iTunes/AppStore. In Family Sharing, each person uses their own AppleId.

Hey, your 100% correct.
I googled this issue and after reading through a few pages I found that info, changed her iTunes login to her ID and her requests in her name started working on all the devices.
Weird issue, but thanks to everyone who posted!!

bothfly

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site

Well another issue has popped up for a question to everyone.
So I fixed this App Request issue as I said on my above post, but now when my 10 year old asked to buy an app, she on her iPhone gets the Adult request to buy and can accept or decline it herself.
Why the heck would her phone get that?
So I have her setup as a Child just like the thing wants.
Thanks

bothfly

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site

I think I figured it out.
So I have my iCloud account singed in on my 10 year olds phone just to sync iCal.
For some reason that alone was giving her the App requests on her phone. Once I signed out of my iCloud on her phone the app requests did not pop up on her phone.
Now I have to figure out a way to have her share our iCal calendars since I don't like and use it in Family Share

njshoregurlz

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Family Share App Request

May I ask does this work on find my phone app?
I have my daughter under my iCloud my iTunes my everything same email as me so whalla she's 13 and I want to be able to track if need ever comes up!
It was very handy with my oldest.
I wouldn't mind my 13 year old to have her own account... But just curious lol

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Family Share App Request

May I ask does this work on find my phone app?
I have my daughter under my iCloud my iTunes my everything same email as me so whalla she's 13 and I want to be able to track if need ever comes up!
It was very handy with my oldest.
I wouldn't mind my 13 year old to have her own account... But just curious lol
For Family Sharing, you and your daughter should have separate Apple ID's. That includes for iTunes, iCloud, iMessage and FaceTime. So she needs her own email account to use for ID. If you use the same ID for everything, you will have problems. You'll be seeing each other's messages and all. And you need separate iCloud accounts so you can each have 5 free gb of storage. If you use the same iCloud account, you share 5 free gb of storage. She needs her own Apple ID.
You can still keep up with her on Find My IPhone with separate Apple ID's. Use the Find My iPhone app and log in to her iCloud. Make sure she has Find My iPhone toggled on in her Settings. You may want to restrict her from toggling it off. Go to Settings >General >Restrictions and set it so she can't turn it off where you can't keep up with her.

bothfly

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site

The only reason I like having my 10 year old signed into my iCloud account for iMessage is because on my phone my wife phone too we can check her number and actually see her texts. You can still text normally from your phone, just have to check were the texts come from, your number that is. It works great to see what kids are texting about. Of course you phone goes nuts when they are texting a lot, but its a great tool.

But back to my question, I have all 3 of us on iCal, but like I said if I have my 10 year old signed into iCloud and only the Calendar checked so she can see the iCals, then she gets the App Requests.
Trying to figure out a way for her to share the Calendars without using them in Family Share since Family share calendars only allows you to share one calendar, the Family and not individual calendars like we have in iCal.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

All correct except that with Family Sharing in place, you do not need to log into the find my iPhone app using her Id. You're own ID will show family members' devices.
Yep. I went one way then did an about face and missed that. I refered to not using Family Sharing.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Have they fixed it so you can change the birthday on a Apple ID ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

I managed to change my kids' birthdays, sort of. When I set up their accounts a few years ago, I made them age 13 even though they were 5 & 9. So they were now showing up as 15/16. I was able to log into their accounts via appleid.apple.com on my Mac and change their birthdays back to age 13. I wasn't able to make them under 13 though. I guess I'll have to change it each year until they truly reach 13.

Ya seems they failed in that aspect I'll just avoid family share too much hassle when what I have setup still works solid

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Well technically you weren't allowed to make accounts for anyone under 13. Lots of people did it anyway though. Just like you aren't supposed to have a gmail account, Facebook, etc.
Family Share seems to be working well for my family. The only thing is really wish it clouded was iTunes Match.

Ya that was the other fall back I ran into ...
For us we just share my ID for purchases and everything else each person has their own ID ... Then we just share calendars via iCloud or just make them public ( I did this cause icloud method was not updating automatically )
I think I wouldn't mind going the family share route if I was setting up everyone new .. But trying to covert I ran into more draw backs than benefits at least for me

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73