I was checking my battery usage this AM and found that 2 APPs had used battery power. Under both APPs it states "Background Activity".
    I have all "Background Groundrefresh" turned off. Under "Settings" and the individual APPs there is no choice for "Background Refresh" and I also have "Location Services" turned off for each APP.

I do see "Messages" has background activity but I wouold expect that.

So why do these APPs apparently do something in the background?
    Attached Thumbnails Background APP refresh-battery-usage-hi-lited.jpg  
    12-17-2014 08:23 AM
    I don't know about the Speedtest app, but do you stream music via your device while doing other things? If so, that's background activity. In regard to the Speedtest app, check to see if it it listed under Settings - Cellular - Use Cellular Data for. If so, disable it to see if that helps.
    12-17-2014 10:33 AM
    Thanks for the info. No I don't stream any thing on my iPhone. As for Speedtest All I use it for is to check my data speeds via Cellular. I'll try disabling it.
    12-17-2014 01:46 PM
    Notifications can also cause background activity, so turn those off for the apps in question if you don't need them. I believe background activity can also happen if you're running certain actions in the app and then close out of it. For example, downloads and uploads will continue after you exit from (properly designed) apps, and these will also show as background activity for that particular app.
    12-23-2014 12:48 PM
    I agree with Mike, that's probably what is using your battery.
    12-28-2014 06:20 AM