My messages app is starting to freeze up again. First time since updating 8.1.1.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
    I've never had an issue with the messages app. Hope you get it resolved.
    11-19-2014 11:34 PM
    I've never had an issue with the messages app. Hope you get it resolved.
    I'm not gonna worry about it. I upgrade in January. This old 5 may need a factory restore.

11-20-2014 12:55 AM
    My messages app is starting to freeze up again. First time since updating 8.1.1.

Led, I just thought of this because on a very rare occasion my daughter would have an issue with freezes and closing out of text/imessage.....the cause of it is because she has tooooo many text/iMessages saved causing her memory to be low as well as storage. She'll then go through delete old unwanted crap and the issue is gone.

I know you have an "old" trusty 5, but just something I thought of that may help you out.....although I have to say you've probably trouble shot this already....

tapped out by my P!NK fingers on my GORGEOUS GOLD 5S
    11-20-2014 06:57 AM
    I've tested this on a few different iPhones now and I honestly believe you're not doing exactly as I am.

Take a picture with the camera app

Then open a new message and start typing

Tap the camera icon on the left of the message box

**DO NOT TAP PHOTO LIBRARY OR TAKE PHOTO**

The photo you took earlier should be displayed as a thumbnail

Tap this thumbnail and a tick will appear in the lower right of the thumbnail to show its selected.

Tap send photo and the photo will send but any previously uncommitted text is discarded.

**DO NOT GO INTO PHOTOS AND CAMERA ROLL**

Sorry for the boring posts...
    11-20-2014 09:11 AM
    Darran you should seriously consider sending feedback to Apple on this. If you think it's counterintuitive other users may feel the same way.
    I sent feedback on reachability and moving apps. Double tapping the home button lowers the screen to make things easier to reach one handed.
    On the home screen apps won't "jiggle" while in reachability to be moved and reachability doesn't work while apps are jiggling.
    So I sent feedback to Apple as a feature enhancement. When iOS 7 came out I sent feedback on the accept decline buttons when a call comes in. They were rectangular just looked unattractive to me and it was changed. Not by just my feedback but there must have been possibly thousands or millions of users that felt the same way.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by iEd; 11-20-2014 at 11:01 AM.
    Darran likes this.
    11-20-2014 10:44 AM
    Led, I just thought of this because on a very rare occasion my daughter would have an issue with freezes and closing out of text/imessage.....the cause of it is because she has tooooo many text/iMessages saved causing her memory to be low as well as storage. She'll then go through delete old unwanted crap and the issue is gone.

I know you have an "old" trusty 5, but just something I thought of that may help you out.....although I have to say you've probably trouble shot this already....

I keep my messsges deleted. I do keep several threads open. Most are empty. And not many. Maybe 15 threads. All but 3 are empty. I do use SwiftKey. It's only happened once since updating. I'm not sure what sets it off.

11-20-2014 11:40 AM
    It's always asking for my icloud password... so annoying
    11-20-2014 01:14 PM
    I keep my messsges deleted. I do keep several threads open. Most are empty. And not many. Maybe 15 threads. All but 3 are empty. I do use SwiftKey. It's only happened once since updating. I'm not sure what sets it off.

Ok. It was just an idea I had that maybe could've helped

11-20-2014 01:15 PM
    I've tested this on a few different iPhones now and I honestly believe you're not doing exactly as I am.

Tap this thumbnail and a tick will appear in the lower right of the thumbnail to show its selected.

Tap send photo and the photo will send but any previously uncommitted text is discarded.

That's exactly how I do it. Just did the same thing before typing this to test it.
    11-20-2014 02:02 PM
    It's always asking for my icloud password... so annoying
    Used to do this but hasn't done it in quite some time thankfully!
    11-20-2014 02:03 PM
    Ok. It was just an idea I had that maybe could've helped

I really don't know what causes it. It may be using SwiftKey.

11-20-2014 02:44 PM

I do exactly that, but my text message does not vanish until I tap "Send".

11-20-2014 02:45 PM
    I do exactly that, but my text message does not vanish until I tap "Send".

Mine doesn't vanish either but it doesn't go with the picture either. I have to SEND separately for the message. Is this how yours is?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    11-20-2014 02:56 PM
    Wow I'm not sure how mine is acting so different haha. It's really annoying. I'd expect it to work like yours is so that's good that it's not everyone affected.
    11-20-2014 03:01 PM
    I'VE FOUND THE BUG!!

The reason it's retaining your text is because you're trying this in a message that already has content! Try this in a new message where the thread is blank.

I just tried this with a friend and it kept the text because I'd already text to that person within that chat. Try it on a blank chat, do it to yourself as it's unlikely you've been messaging yourself!
    11-20-2014 03:07 PM
    I'VE FOUND THE BUG!!

The reason it's retaining your text is because you're trying this in a message that already has content! Try this in a new message where the thread is blank.

I just tried this with a friend and it kept the text because I'd already text to that person within that chat. Try it on a blank chat,
    Tried it and yes I can duplicate that.

do it to yourself as it's unlikely you've been messaging yourself!
    You would be surprised...
    iOS 8.1.1 released-imageuploadedbytapatalk1416514679.683502.jpg
    I usually do that when my iMessages aren't sending to other people or my internet is acting slow...

Sent from my jailbroken 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    Darran likes this.
    11-20-2014 03:19 PM
    It seems that gmail push stopped working for Google apps accounts.
    My mails are not pushed after the update
    11-20-2014 03:34 PM
    My wifi has quit working on my iPad 3 since I did the update what is there I can do to fix this?

Never mind I fixed it I had wifi turned off on my phone when trying to connect tablet to my hotspot

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk Pro
    11-20-2014 04:00 PM
    Tried it and yes I can duplicate that.

You would be surprised...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416514679.683502.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	71871
    I usually do that when my iMessages aren't sending to other people or my internet is acting slow...

Sent from my jailbroken 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    Haha that's hilarious!!!
    11-20-2014 04:40 PM
    Interesting issue I just found.....When looking in the App Store at an app's reviews, in portrait mode under "current version" of the app, it shows the latest reviews. Change it to landscape mode and look at "current version" reviews. They're all old lol. Not a big issue, but just another thing in ios 8 that's not very polished and overlooked
    11-20-2014 04:42 PM
    Mine doesn't vanish either but it doesn't go with the picture either. I have to SEND separately for the message. Is this how yours is?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    It's how I do it most of the time. But you can send them together. The option is there. Instead of tapping "send photo", tap Add Comment, type your text, hit send. Both get sent at the same time.
    iOS 8.1.1 released-imageuploadedbytapatalk1416539869.118312.jpg

CDG likes this.
    11-20-2014 10:16 PM
    Does it have any effect on iphone 6?
    11-21-2014 08:31 AM
    Battery life seems to be improved on my 6... Took it off the charger around 8am yesterday and was still at 70% at 11:15pm... I've never been above 50% at that time of day before.

iOS 8.1.1 released-imageuploadedbytapatalk1416576969.218339.jpg
    11-21-2014 08:37 AM
    I did noticed something that's fixed. Activities keeps the order you set.
    11-21-2014 11:08 AM
    I am only seeing a few random issues with my 6 plus currently running 8.1 in Message and with the 3rd party keyboards. It is very hard to reproduce, but when swiping to reply to a text from my lock screen then unlocking with touch ID Message freezes up sometimes. The freeze will also happen sometimes if I click the banner notification to quick switch to the Messages app. This does not happen every time, but it happens enough to be annoying and is quickly solved by closing the app out in the task manager and reopening it.

I have both Swiftkey and Swype installed and they will sometimes get replaced by the stock keyboard very randomly or disappear completely inside the Message app. This is also fixed by just closing out of the app and then starting it fresh again.

Are these issues popping up in 8.1.1 for anyone or has anyone had them in 8.1? I see no real reason to update unless they managed to patch these and I have not found anyone talking about my issues specifically.
    11-21-2014 12:56 PM
215 ... 45678 ...