Is there a way to just have iCloud backup my photos?

tmay6737

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I am new to the ios system. I currently have an ipad (which I love) and am thinking of getting the iphone 6 now. My question is, is there a way to just have this icloud, i cloud drive, or whatever I have, to just back up my photos. I want to be able to take vacation pics and etc and have them uploaded to the cloud. I also, on occasion, get some sexy pictures from my wife that i want to save as well, but also not have them automatically post to facebook, or people to see them. I guess I am more concerned about preventing access. Just looking for a simple way to keep pictures I take, save etc, to the cloud. And access them from my ipad or iphone to show, post whenever I want.
Hope this makes sense

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you enable "photostream" on your iPhone and iPad with the same Apple/iCloud ID, then any photo you take on one will be visible on the other. Those photos will remain on Apple's servers for a specified timeframe. Now in regard to backups, the process backs up all that is is designed to backup. With that in mind, only photos that are in your Camera roll will be backed up. Photos that are in your Photostream will already be stored via iCloud and thus, will not be included via the backup process.

Here’s what iCloud backs up:

• Purchase history for music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books
    Your iCloud backup includes information about the content you have purchased, but not the purchased content itself. When you restore from an iCloud backup, your purchased content is automatically downloaded from the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store. Some types of content aren’t downloaded automatically in all countries, and previous purchases may be unavailable if they have been refunded or are no longer available in the store. For more information, see the Apple Support article iTunes in the Cloud availability by country. Some types of content aren’t available in all countries. For more information, see the Apple Support article What can I buy from the iTunes Store in my country?.
  • Photos and videos on your iOS devices
  • Device settings
  • App data
  • Home screen and app organization
  • iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages
  • Ringtones
  • Visual Voicemail
Your iOS device backup only includes data and settings stored on your device.
It doesn’t include data already stored in iCloud, for example contacts, calendars, bookmarks, mail messages, notes, shared photo albums, iCloud Photo Library beta, My Photo Stream, and documents you save in iCloud using iOS apps and Mac apps.

Source: iCloud: iCloud storage and backup overview

tmay6737

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
This is confusing, and I am not a stupid person...lol. So the pictures I take on vacation, etc, will be deleted after a while?

So is my "Photostream" basically my cloud storage for my photos? And camera roll is recent pictures taken?

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Photos in My Photo Stream are saved on the iCloud server for 30 days. To save or back up these photos, you must save them from My Photo Stream to your iOS device. Select the photos and choose Share > Save Image. You can then back up your photos using iCloud or iTunes. (Side notes: I also use Dropbox to save photos. My Photo Stream doesn't push photos over cellular connections.)

tmay6737

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Still confusing as heck! All i want/need is to save every photo I have/take and automatically store them somewhere to access from my ipad or iphone. I guess I am also confused on the "To save or back up these photos, you must save them from My Photo Stream to your iOS device. Select the photos and choose Share > Save Image. You can then back up your photos using iCloud" I am thinking this icloud/icould drive thing doesnt work like Dropbox? I tried Dropbox and it automatically saved the pic and I could access it from teh app, and I assume on the iphone if I would purchase it as well.

cmrobbins42

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Still confusing as heck! All i want/need is to save every photo I have/take and automatically store them somewhere to access from my ipad or iphone. I guess I am also confused on the "To save or back up these photos, you must save them from My Photo Stream to your iOS device. Select the photos and choose Share > Save Image. You can then back up your photos using iCloud" I am thinking this icloud/icould drive thing doesnt work like Dropbox? I tried Dropbox and it automatically saved the pic and I could access it from teh app, and I assume on the iphone if I would purchase it as well.

There is an option to upload all files from the iPhone 6 to iCloud (beta option but works fine for me).

IMG_0089.PNG

There is not a good way other than logging into icloud.com to get the pictures easily (since Apple hasn't released an iCloud app....)

Your best bet might be to have dropbox continue to automatically upload your pictures if you need them easily accessible on all your devices.

tmay6737

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Thank you, I think that answers my question. I guess along with my last post, I was wanting/asking a place to store the photos i take and not use up space on my phone...just someplace I can store them and have access to show them when needed. Sounds like Dropbox is the answer since icloud cant??

cmrobbins42

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Thank you, I think that answers my question. I guess along with my last post, I was wanting/asking a place to store the photos i take and not use up space on my phone...just someplace I can store them and have access to show them when needed. Sounds like Dropbox is the answer since icloud cant??

Dropbox sounds like your best option. Be sure to enable Auto Upload from the camera in the Dropbox app. Also make sure that the pictures were successfully uploaded to Dropbox before you delete them from your phone.

If apple ever releases an iCloud app then the iCloud photo library option may be a good alternative in the future. Even then its safe to say that you won't be able to access icloud everywhere you can access Dropbox (Windows, Android, Linux, etc.)

tmay6737

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I think it is because from my understanding, if i took a picture on an iphone, then was at home, but wanted to show someone that picture i took on my ipad, there is no way to do that and save space on both devices except logging in through the web

cmrobbins42

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't Dropbox have to be open for photos to be uploaded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is an option for background uploading though it will require you to grant Dropbox access to your location.

If you don't want dropbox to have access to your location the app will need to be open for photos to upload.

I think it is because from my understanding, if i took a picture on an iphone, then was at home, but wanted to show someone that picture i took on my ipad, there is no way to do that and save space on both devices except logging in through the web

If you want to quickly look at a photo on your iPad (that was taken from your iPhone) the the Photo Stream option is what you are looking for. If you want to save space then you can continue to use Dropbox to back up the files off the phone before you delete them.

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Another option (other than Dropbox or any of the cloud services available) is this: iStick. I love this gizmo. It is tiny and you can take it everywhere with you. It doesn't require the Internet to work and your data is never sent through 3rd party servers. It allows you to easily, quickly and safely move data between computers, iPhones, iPads and iPod touches ~ kaboom!

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I like Box. Box gives you 10 free gb. Dropbox gives you 2 free gb. OneDrive gives you 30 free gb.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I like Box. Box gives you 10 free gb. Dropbox gives you 2 free gb. OneDrive gives you 30 free gb.
I like Box too. In fact, I'm such a cloud-nerd, I also use OneDrive and RealPlayer. RealPlayer is my absolute favorite for video uploads as it is fast (and no wi-fi is necessary)!

tmay6737

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I like Box too. In fact, I'm such a cloud-nerd, I also use OneDrive and RealPlayer. RealPlayer is my absolute favorite for video uploads as it is fast (and no wi-fi is necessary)!
Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions. I guess I'm just looking for something that is easy to manage- auto upload, take place of iCloud, secure not uploading anything automatically to FB or anything like that, not a social photo sharing app....just something to store some of my photos and no one being able to see them. I like one drive since they offer a lot of storage for me and box. Between those two, which are able to perform as I stated?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I like Box and how it's set up. It's not as "pretty" as Dropbox, but I just like it. I use Dropbox for long videos. Also OneDrive. I'll check out RealPlayer.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro