iCloud back up help!

jlh73

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I recently noticed that my iCloud back up is very small now. Like 500 MBs. It use to be like 2.3 g. It says next back up size is 2.3 g but when it back up it ends up being only like 500mb. My photo library is on and it says 2.3 g. Im wondering if it's backing up my photo library even though it's switched on. Please help.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The backup size is smaller now because the camera roll is no longer included in the backup since it is already backed up with the photo library. It's essentially saving you space on iCloud.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm no matter what I try I can't get my iPhone to back up to the cloud anymore. It just sits and increases time to back up, 5-hours, 6-hours 9-hours. I finally turned it off and now can only back up to my PC.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure this is related to the camera roll you know. I never have any photos in my camera roll as I'm a bit OCD and once I've saved them on Google drive I delete them. I also don't back them up in ICloud as there's nothing to backup but my iCloud backups have gone from 250MB to 80MB! With iOS 8.x

I wonder if it's actually related to ICloud Drive now managing documents separately from iCloud backups. Before I believe the iCloud backup contained the documents and data and now the documents and data is managed by iCloud Drive independent to the iOS iCloud backup.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm no matter what I try I can't get my iPhone to back up to the cloud anymore. It just sits and increases time to back up, 5-hours, 6-hours 9-hours. I finally turned it off and now can only back up to my PC.

Try turning off most of the backup options including all of the apps and and your photos if you have lots. Then see if it backs up. If it does then gradually add some back in until you find what is causing the backup to hang. It's likely related to size. You you know what sort of size your backup is on your computer or estimated size? It might also exceed the 5GB free storage and this might be causing some of the probs.