I have discovered that there is a mouse gesture which will get rid of the left pane in both Safari and the Dropbox reader. This gives the whole window to the primary pane, which is usually exactly what I want. However, I don't know exactly what the mouse gesture (or whatever it is I'm doing that works) is, I just stumble across it sometimes. What will close the left pane and where is it documented?
    11-09-2014 03:34 PM
    Since you posted this in the iOS 8 section, I am assuming you're either referring to an iPhone, iPod Touch or an iPad. I do not see a left pane in Safari on my iPhone 5 running iOS 8.1, and I don't have my iPad with me at the moment to check it out. I'm unfamiliar with the Dropbox reader you mentioned. If you're not talking about an iOS device, please clarify.
    11-12-2014 02:21 PM
    If you are talking about the left pane in landscape mode on an iPhone 6+ or an iPad, it is the list of bookmarks and history. I don't know of a gesture to get rid of it, but if you tap the bookmark icon in the top bar (next to where you have the web address), it will go away. Tap again to bring it back.
    11-12-2014 03:32 PM
    Yes, I've using an iPad for this. I've found the bookmarks toggle at the top of the left pane on Safari, which does what I want. I don't know what Dropbox uses as a reader. I guess I thought since I'd somehow done the same thing w/ both Safari & Dropbox that it's a system feature. Since I hadn't noticed it before 8, I figured it's an 8 feature. Guess I'm wrong on both counts. Thanks for the help. All I need to do is read my financial statements on my iPad while I balance accounts on my MacBook Pro; I get tired of clicking between windows. Again, thanks for your patience.
    11-13-2014 07:09 PM
    Off-topic a bit, but seeing the left pain such as this and when in mail makes me realize that the iPhone 6 plus could really do true multitasking (example : having a safari site open on the left side and your email on the right side. I'd bet that ios 9 includes it
    Greek Geek likes this.
    11-14-2014 09:44 PM
    For Dropbox on the iPad, the panel goes away when you want to see a document full size - for some documents, you see a small box in the lower right hand corner with two arrows in it. Tap that, and your files goes full screen. Often however, it's not there - for PDFs and JPGs for instance. For those, just single tap the document and it jumps to full screen.

Intuitive, huh? :-)
    11-16-2014 06:26 AM
    I'm looking for the answer to the same question. Why is this happening?
    03-16-2015 08:56 PM
    I'm looking for the answer to the same question. Why is this happening?
    Then read the third post for the answer.
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    03-16-2015 08:59 PM
    Xylitol solution worked. Thank you so much.
    05-05-2015 10:35 AM
    Thank you so much! That was annoying me but I'm not an iPad regular so I know now. Much appreciated!
    05-27-2015 12:31 AM
    Off-topic a bit, but seeing the left pain such as this and when in mail makes me realize that the iPhone 6 plus could really do true multitasking (example : having a safari site open on the left side and your email on the right side. I'd bet that ios 9 includes it
    Not sure if it is something they have actually planned or not, but I'm definitely with you on thinking that it would be a wonderful idea. Never hurts to publicly vocalize desires like this, as when companies like Apple look for what features will be popular, it better strengthens the chances of it becoming a real possibility.
    06-03-2015 07:25 AM