How do I get rid the left pane?

BurnetO

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I have discovered that there is a mouse gesture which will get rid of the left pane in both Safari and the Dropbox reader. This gives the whole window to the primary pane, which is usually exactly what I want. However, I don't know exactly what the mouse gesture (or whatever it is I'm doing that works) is, I just stumble across it sometimes. What will close the left pane and where is it documented?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Since you posted this in the iOS 8 section, I am assuming you're either referring to an iPhone, iPod Touch or an iPad. I do not see a left pane in Safari on my iPhone 5 running iOS 8.1, and I don't have my iPad with me at the moment to check it out. I'm unfamiliar with the Dropbox reader you mentioned. If you're not talking about an iOS device, please clarify.

BurnetO

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I've using an iPad for this. I've found the bookmarks toggle at the top of the left pane on Safari, which does what I want. I don't know what Dropbox uses as a reader. I guess I thought since I'd somehow done the same thing w/ both Safari & Dropbox that it's a system feature. Since I hadn't noticed it before 8, I figured it's an 8 feature. Guess I'm wrong on both counts. Thanks for the help. All I need to do is read my financial statements on my iPad while I balance accounts on my MacBook Pro; I get tired of clicking between windows. Again, thanks for your patience.

BlazingGold

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Off-topic a bit, but seeing the left pain such as this and when in mail makes me realize that the iPhone 6 plus could really do true multitasking (example : having a safari site open on the left side and your email on the right side. I'd bet that ios 9 includes it

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
For Dropbox on the iPad, the panel goes away when you want to see a document full size - for some documents, you see a small box in the lower right hand corner with two arrows in it. Tap that, and your files goes full screen. Often however, it's not there - for PDFs and JPGs for instance. For those, just single tap the document and it jumps to full screen.

Intuitive, huh? :)

Greek Geek

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Off-topic a bit, but seeing the left pain such as this and when in mail makes me realize that the iPhone 6 plus could really do true multitasking (example : having a safari site open on the left side and your email on the right side. I'd bet that ios 9 includes it
Not sure if it is something they have actually planned or not, but I'm definitely with you on thinking that it would be a wonderful idea. Never hurts to publicly vocalize desires like this, as when companies like Apple look for what features will be popular, it better strengthens the chances of it becoming a real possibility. ;)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2