I have been using third party keyboards since iOS was official launched. I have tried most of them.

Yesterday I decided it was time to go back to the stock keyboard. In my opinion the third party keyboard sdk's are not strict enough.

In some apps they would block data on the screen, they would cause some apps to lock up when the keyboard would come up. Just too many things to overlook.

For me the 2 biggest features I miss from the third party ones are:

Showing the case when typing
    Quick access to numbers and punctuation (press and hold to get the other characters)

With that, what features would you like to see Apple implement in the stock keyboard?
    11-01-2014 11:10 AM
    I agree with some of the issues with using the 3rd party keyboards. SwiftKey is what I use most. The stock keyboard would work just fine if they would make it legible. I can't see it very well. Especially the top predictive words. I have to strain to see the text. Otherwise, it's ok. Apple should offer a dark theme for the keyboard. But like iOS 7, things are hard to see. So I use SwiftKey for the dark keyboard. I can actually read everything with ease. It also is working extremely well at remembering my usage. I can type many things by typing only words. The stock may do that well too. But, dang, it's an eyesore. They should at least put dark text on the predictive words.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
    11-01-2014 11:38 AM
    I agree third party key boards are buggy. I would like to see long press for digits and trace like Swype.

Sent from my wrapped in leather iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    11-01-2014 11:57 AM
    I agree totally, bamf. I played with a couple of the 3rd party keyboards and found them to be at best, a novelty. If they work for you, great. But Im sticking with the stock keyboard.

How would I like Apple to change the stock keyboard? Hmmm. Im using an iPhone 6 Plus, so space it not a really critical point. And I really like the iPhone 6 Plus landscape keyboard. Therefore:

• Add and extra row of keys for the numbers across the top.
    • I can live with the current setup for basic punctuation (period, comma, question mark) using the shifted keys.
    • Changing the keys to reflect the current case would be nice.
    • Add an option for light/dark keyboard in Settings to work across the iOS.
    11-01-2014 12:08 PM
    Swift key says it's not on them. It has to do with permissions and other stuff. The claims Apple fixed it with IOS 8 but it still happens.
    11-01-2014 12:43 PM
    Swift key says it's not on them. It has to do with permissions and other stuff. The claims Apple fixed it with IOS 8 but it still happens.
    It’s never a good thing when the finger pointing starts.
    raphie likes this.
    11-01-2014 01:17 PM
    The main reason I like the Apple keyboard is because when typing I usually want to do it quick, I don't want to, mess around with what keyboard I'm using. Just want it to work, I don't need to save my dictionary or predictions to anyone's servers I just want to be able to type everything and not have to worry about what goes where.
    11-01-2014 02:00 PM
    I agree totally, bamf. I played with a couple of the 3rd party keyboards and found them to be at best, a novelty. If they work for you, great. But Im sticking with the stock keyboard.

How would I like Apple to change the stock keyboard? Hmmm. Im using an iPhone 6 Plus, so space it not a really critical point. And I really like the iPhone 6 Plus landscape keyboard. Therefore:

• Add and extra row of keys for the numbers across the top.
    • I can live with the current setup for basic punctuation (period, comma, question mark) using the shifted keys.
    • Changing the keys to reflect the current case would be nice.
    • Add an option for light/dark keyboard in Settings to work across the iOS.
    I tried the changing case on keys to match the shift when I was jail broken. I actually hated it and thought it was extremely distracting while typing. However I wouldn't care if it was an option for the keyboard.
    11-01-2014 02:11 PM
    Tried Swiftkey on the iPad. Don't bother, doesn't work on iPad. Only one key at a time, no swyping with that keyboard on the iPad. Only works with iPhone n iPod. Wished they update it to work on iPad because I really like it---oh well s!#t happens

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    11-01-2014 03:36 PM
    Same here. I loved Swiftkey on Android but not on iOS so much. I've tried a couple of others for fun but the stock for me is so much improved I don't see a reason to mess with the other ones now anyway. I used to get frustrated that the suggestions on the stock keyboard would disappear but now I realize that you can make them appear and reappear when you want which I think is great.
    11-01-2014 03:40 PM
    I haven't loved the third party keyboards in iOS due to bugs as well. The developers claim a good bit of the bugs are in the iOS, and I'm inclined to believe this since many of the bugs I see persist across different keyboards. The most notable one is the keyboard falling to come up at all. I have to leave the app and get to an app that brings up the keyboard and then switch to the stock keyboard.
    11-01-2014 11:48 PM
    I had big hopes for fleksy. I could be really fast on that keyboard but it is laggy and needs some work.
    11-02-2014 12:01 AM
    One thing that would help would be a long press on the globe to switch keyboards. I get tired of tapping it by mistake, then it goes wild. A long press to switch would stop that.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
    11-02-2014 12:12 AM
    I just disabled all the 3rd party keyboards I had like 20 min ago. They were starting to bug me.
    11-02-2014 01:35 AM
    I have been using third party keyboards since iOS was official launched. I have tried most of them.

Yesterday I decided it was time to go back to the stock keyboard. In my opinion the third party keyboard sdk's are not strict enough.

In some apps they would block data on the screen, they would cause some apps to lock up when the keyboard would come up. Just too many things to overlook.

For me the 2 biggest features I miss from the third party ones are:

Showing the case when typing
    Quick access to numbers and punctuation (press and hold to get the other characters)

With that, what features would you like to see Apple implement in the stock keyboard?
    I'm the same.... The stock I keyboard is the best... Nothing better than it...it's simple, fluid,does the job right
    raphie likes this.
    11-02-2014 01:46 AM
    Tired a few and back to stock. Not only does it work fine for me, I know it so well,easy
    11-02-2014 01:03 AM
    I tried the changing case on keys to match the shift when I was jail broken. I actually hated it and thought it was extremely distracting while typing. However I wouldn't care if it was an option for the keyboard.
    Well, we are creatures of habit. While showing the case on the keyboard sounds like a good change, it could be somewhat unsettling after all these years in iOS.
    11-02-2014 09:48 AM
    Well, we are creatures of habit. While showing the case on the keyboard sounds like a good change, it could be somewhat unsettling after all these years in iOS.
    The main reason for show case is password input
    11-02-2014 11:28 AM
    I tried a couple of third party keyboards when I first got my iPhone 6 but experienced too many bugs. I've decided to stick with the stock keyboard which works well for me.
    11-02-2014 09:45 PM
    I LOVE swiftkey BUT it never works with quick reply and other issues.
    11-02-2014 10:12 PM
    Yeah they are still buggy. I'm fine with stock

Sent from my iPhone 6 finally!
    11-02-2014 10:17 PM
    Even stock is buggy for me. My short cut for my email address freezes safari every time. I'm constantly closing apps and reopening to fix keyboard issues.
    11-03-2014 01:54 AM
    If they were able to fix a couple of things in the Swype keyboard I would definitely use it over the stock. I would like to be able to use it on the lockscreen when replying to a message. It also doesn't allow for voice dictation and is limited on the emojis. It only shows one. Until these issues are fixed in going to have to use the stock keyboard.

Sent from my Space Grey, 128 GB, iPhone 6 Plus (that took 5 weeks to ship to me through AT&T) using Tapatalk
    11-03-2014 05:20 AM
    I agree with the general sentiment. I used Swype since it was released and over time, I just never got used to it. I don't really experience any of the bugs that bother some folks, but the keyboards themselves just feel poorly programmed. Swype's prediction is terrible compared to what I remember on Android, I had to try 3 or 4 times sometimes before it got the right word. It also doesn't seem to 'learn' my most often used words.

I hoped that 3rd party keyboards would make me faster at one-handed typing, but having to correct all the time just slowed me down. Apple's keyboard has improved substantially, so I'm happy using it until 3rd parties can improve on their offerings.
    11-03-2014 08:57 AM
    I have tried most of the 3rd party ones as well and also moved back to the stock keyboard. I loved being able to text one-handed with the apps, but I just could not get used to how difficult it was to add emoticons into text messages. I also hated how the layouts for the numbers and symbols were different from the stock keyboard - it made typing take that much longer because I had to re familiarize myself every time I had to use a number or symbol.
    11-03-2014 11:01 AM
36 12