My iPad is saying I have used up 11.1GB and have 600MB of storage space left.

However, this simply cannot be true. I deleted a lot of my games before installing iOS 8, and had nearly 6 GB of free space. Since then, I only installed one more new game that takes up 1.4GB of space.

Anyways, I manually calculated and in total my storage under the usage settings, and it adds up to around 6.2GB!! How and why on earth is my iPad telling me 11GB is used already? I'm pretty sure system/OS files are not included here, since they are already included in the missing 4.5GB from 16GB storage.

So yeah, would really appreciate some help here. That "missing" 5GB of storage space is very important for me!
    10-23-2014 12:04 AM
    My iPad is saying I have used up 11.1GB and have 600MB of storage space left.

However, this simply cannot be true. I deleted a lot of my games before installing iOS 8, and had nearly 6 GB of free space. Since then, I only installed one more new game that takes up 1.4GB of space.

Anyways, I manually calculated and in total my storage under the usage settings, and it adds up to around 6.2GB!! How and why on earth is my iPad telling me 11GB is used already? I'm pretty sure system/OS files are not included here, since they are already included in the missing 4.5GB from 16GB storage.

So yeah, would really appreciate some help here. That "missing" 5GB of storage space is very important for me!
    Are you getting this message on your computer? Sometimes it won't adjust until you re sync. If it's saying that on your phone try restoring to new
    10-23-2014 12:08 AM
    Try a hard reset first. Hold the top power/sleep button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release.
    10-23-2014 12:23 AM
    Are you getting this message on your computer? Sometimes it won't adjust until you re sync. If it's saying that on your phone try restoring to new
    No I'm on my iPad itself. Never have downloaded iTunes on PC.
    10-23-2014 12:30 AM
    Try a hard reset first. Hold the top power/sleep button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release.

My battery has died a few times on me, and I believe the result is the same as doing a hard reset.
    10-23-2014 12:31 AM
    No I'm on my iPad itself. Never have downloaded iTunes on PC.
    Try as led suggested and do a quick hard reset. If that doesn't wrk restore to new and that should eliminate any issues.
    10-23-2014 12:32 AM
    My battery has died a few times on me, and I believe the result is the same as doing a hard reset.
    Yep! You're correct!
    10-23-2014 12:32 AM
    Ok guys, I read on Reddit that the issue is iCloud. I never backed up to iCloud in my life, and for some reason that kept eating into my space.

So I proceeded and backed up from my iPad itself to the cloud. And holy moly, I recovered a few GBs!

Does anyone have an explanation for this? I have really few apps installed, and nothing major in terms of photos or anything. Most of my apps are games anyways. Why on Earth would me not backing up to iCloud have such a devastating effect on my storage space? This was NEVER an issue on iOS 7!

And another thing. The iPad still says 5GB used, but I manually calculated app sizes that amounted to 3.7GB only. That 1.3GB is "missing" and is worth a lot for me, especially since there is only 11GB usable storage space, and I need to keep 2-3GB available always to install updates and large games.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
    10-23-2014 05:10 AM
    If you had photos in the photo stream, and they were deleted, you would gain space. Other things beside apps take space. Messages, email, notes on the Notes app, music, Contacts, Voicemail, Safari history, iCloud Photo Sharing, and etc. There's also what is known as "Other". Other is old app cache, broken files, and other junk. It can take a lot of space sometimes. The only way to get rid of it is to restore your phone. But it may not be that as much as just everything you have added together. Not backing up to iCloud will not cause you to have less space. Backing up your phone does not remove anything from your phone. When you backed up, what exactly did you do?
    10-23-2014 03:41 PM
    There is very useful app , called Battery Doctor. It's free up your RAM and CPU memory,and clean junk files and catche, its boost up the speed of iphone iPad,and record your charging habits and prevent from overcharging battery.
    10-23-2014 05:12 PM
    The problem might have been cache which clears after few days. iCloud backup does not help gain more space on the iOS devices directly but might have helped clean some residual space but loosing so high GB gives me some doubts. There could have been a lot of variables but at least for the time being it worked out for you.
    10-26-2014 10:29 PM