Hi, I have an iPhone 6 Plus and i'm wondering if the amount of "other" I have is normal, or if there's some problem.

I have 32 apps that take up 2.0 GB, one book in iBooks that takes up 56.1 MB, Documents & Data, which I don't know what that is, it takes up 73.7 MB, and then there's the "other" that takes up 6.7 GB. I know the other is necessary, but that seems like an awful lot for someone who doesn't have a lot of stuff on my phone. Is there something wrong?
    10-22-2014 04:30 PM
    I just synched my phone again and I now have 8.5GB of "other", i'm thinking I have a problem.
    Last edited by F0REVERY0UNG-; 10-22-2014 at 05:55 PM.
    10-22-2014 04:44 PM
    No, that is NOT normal... I don't recall having more than 2.5GB ever. May have to restore as new and start clean.
    F0REVERY0UNG- likes this.
    10-22-2014 07:01 PM
    No definatly not normal
    10-22-2014 07:10 PM
    That doesn't sound right. You might need to do a clean install. Good luck.
    10-22-2014 07:11 PM
    That's way to much you need to restore as new to reclaim that space

Sounds like you might have a few failed back ups as well a list of reasons your "other" is so large
    10-22-2014 07:16 PM
    I really don't want to restore as new mainly because Audible is the only app that doesn't save stats to the cloud, and i'll lose all my stats.
    Looks like I have no choice though, thank you all for your help.
    10-22-2014 07:52 PM
    I really don't want to restore as new mainly because Audible is the only app that doesn't save stats to the cloud, and i'll lose all my stats.
    Good luck. It should take care of your problem.
    10-22-2014 08:10 PM
    I ended up restoring to factory settings, then doing a restore form iCloud backup. I didn't lose any of my info or stats, and my "other" is down to 1.8.

That's much more like it.
    Attached Thumbnails is 6.7 GB of "other" normal?-img_1657.jpg  
    10-22-2014 08:31 PM
    You can backup through iTunes, then do a restore of the system. When it asks if you want to set up as new, or restore from backup, select backup. This will clean out the cruft, and you should be OK.

Sometimes an app will go out of control, sometimes certain apps build cache... FB, Flipboard etc.... Flipboard has a way to remove cache under the advanced settings for example, while FB does not. iMore also allows you to remove cache..
    10-22-2014 08:45 PM
    I know the feeling. I have a few apps that still do not save or backup off the device
    10-23-2014 09:11 AM
    You can backup through iTunes, then do a restore of the system. When it asks if you want to set up as new, or restore from backup, select backup. This will clean out the cruft, and you should be OK.
    I was under the impression that if you restore a backup, even after doing a device wipe/restore, you risk restoring whatever the problem was. And I kinda need to know, because I'm planning on doing a wipe/restore this weekend on my iPhone5 due to a too-large "other" usage.
    10-23-2014 09:29 AM
    No you should be OK. It doesn't restore cache's etc. and may fix an errant app install. It will restore the apps however present on the backup, and if one of those is causing your trouble, then it will return. But it just restores settings, and the apps, and any songs you may sync and pictures (unless using the iCloud Photo Library. I have had good success following this procedure.
    I was able to track an errant app this way.
    Another way is to remove some or all third party apps, BACKUP and then do the restore, and manually add apps back in one at a time (and their settings) until you find what is causing. It is still faster than a restore as new iPhone/iPad etc.
    One note if you do not know is that initially while doing this, the "other" may appear large until everything is installed, but it clears up when the iPhone restarts. After the final restart, and sync, I generally go into ~library>Application Support>MobileSync> BackUps and delete all backups, and start new by selecting to backup to this computer in iTunes. then you are good to go again.
    gordol likes this.
    10-23-2014 07:36 PM
    Try going into Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage and under Documents & Data see what's been left behind from apps you've uninstalled. I can't imagine there's that much memory being eaten up there but there could be stuff that can be deleted.
    10-24-2014 01:28 PM
    Try going into Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage and under Documents & Data see what's been left behind from apps you've uninstalled. I can't imagine there's that much memory being eaten up there but there could be stuff that can be deleted.
    What does storage on iCloud have to do with the "Other" category on the local device?
    10-24-2014 02:12 PM
    What does storage on iCloud have to do with the "Other" category on the local device?
    Maybe I read it wrong. Thought it was showing on iPhone storage.
    10-24-2014 02:14 PM