Am I misunderstanding iOS 8.1 continuity text messages? I don't have a Mac; just an iPhone 6 and iPad. I tried to send a text message (iMessages work fine) from my iPad and it doesn't work. I thought iOS 8.1 was supposed to allow us to send text messages to non iOS devices?
    10-21-2014 02:55 PM
    Am I misunderstanding iOS 8.1 continuity text messages? I don't have a Mac; just an iPhone 6 and iPad. I tried to send a text message (iMessages work fine) from my iPad and it doesn't work. I thought iOS 8.1 was supposed to allow us to send text messages to non iOS devices?
    Have you gone through the configuration steps to set it up?

To enable "Text Message Forwarding", both (all) devices must be signed into the same iCloud account and connected to the same WiFi network. You set the SMS Message Forwarding from your iPhone:

1. Make sure both (all) devices are signed into the same iCloud account
    2. Make sure both (all) devices are on the same WiFi network
    3. Make sure both (all) devices have the iCloud account checked (active) in the Send & Receive setting
    4. Go to Settings > Messages
    5. Tap Text Message Forwarding
    6. Turn on forwarding for the computers/tablets that you want to use
    7. Each computer/tablet will get a popup with a 6 digit code
    8. Enter that code on your iPhone to activate the Text Message Forwarding on that computer/tablet
    Gobrown75 likes this.
    10-21-2014 03:05 PM
    Thanks I followed your instructions and it's working now!!

Have you gone through the configuration steps to set it up?

To enable "Text Message Forwarding", both (all) devices must be signed into the same iCloud account and connected to the same WiFi network. You set the SMS Message Forwarding from your iPhone:

1. Make sure both (all) devices are signed into the same iCloud account
    2. Make sure both (all) devices are on the same WiFi network
    3. Make sure both (all) devices have the iCloud account checked (active) in the Send & Receive setting
    4. Go to Settings > Messages
    5. Tap Text Message Forwarding
    6. Turn on forwarding for the computers/tablets that you want to use
    7. Each computer/tablet will get a popup with a 6 digit code
    8. Enter that code on your iPhone to activate the Text Message Forwarding on that computer/tablet
    10-21-2014 03:54 PM
    Not receiving the pop up with the code. On same WiFi and iCloud account. Is it mandatory to have a iCloud account or any account will do??
    11-14-2014 04:54 PM
    Not receiving the pop up with the code. On same WiFi and iCloud account. Is it mandatory to have a iCloud account or any account will do??
    Are you thinking email account? That's different. You can use any email address for the iCloud account log in. But all devices have to use the same iCloud account regardless of the email ID.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
    11-14-2014 05:02 PM
    Yeah. Then all my devices are logged in with the same account. Using 5s and iPad air both running 8.1
    11-14-2014 05:33 PM