Sadly 8.1 doesn't give access to shortcuts from third party keyboards.......

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure I'm not alone in that I use shortcuts quite a bit on my iOS devices, was hoping that by some miracle Apple would open up third party keyboard access to shortcuts, especially as they appear to have added the ability to use Siri dictation.

Please Apple bring this feature to us, without it third party keyboards are next to useless to me.

Or perhaps Swiftkkey or Swype could add shortcuts, I know you can add words, however phrases or email addresses don't quite work.

Also whilst I'm asking the Internet for something, why on earth did Swype decide to change the basic tried and tested keyboard layout, I'm not going to change my touch typing muscle memory just to accommodate your odd design decisions. Please give me another keyboard layout option (for iPad especially).

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried contacting the developers of those apps and/or Apple and offer up your suggestions?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If you type in your full email address a few times on SwiftKey, when you start typing it, it shows in full where a word normally shows.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413855653.241255.jpg

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Also, if you use a phrase or sentence enough in SwiftKey, you can type that phrase by typing words rather than letters. I do it all the time when giving instructions or other phrases. Like... Welcome to iMore! Make yourself at home. All the previous 2 short sentences were typed using words, rather than letters.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Ledsteplin/All, thanks for taking the time to respond, very much appreciated. I had figured out the e-mail address shortcut, however didn't consider it would work for phrases. I might try to use those as temporary work arounds, however still like the idea of specific shortcuts that exist over my MacBook, iPad and iPhone.