Please explain icloud photo library to me like i'm an 8 year old, because i'm having trouble!?!

theleescott

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
ok, icloud photo library or ipl, my thought is this, it should have its own album on my phone, then camera roll would mean photos actually on phone...as it stands the photos app has has all photos and recently deleted...so if i take a photo how do i know whats on my phone and whats in the cloud, because they are all in the same friggin album "all photos". plus, when i open all photos and touch a picture, or open a picture it syncs it from the ipl to my phone take more storage from my already very small 16gb storage space. SHOULDN'T I BE ABLE TO TAKE PICS, SYNC THEM TO IPL THEN DELETE FROM MY DEVICE? THEN ACCESS THEM FROM A SEPERATE ALBUM LABELED IPL? IPL OF COURSE SHOULDN'T TAKE ANY STORAGE SPACE FROM MY 16GB BECAUSE ITS IN THE FRIGGIN CLOUD!!!

am i doing something wrong, or seeing something wrong??? because this seems like apple is using my phone space and icloud space for the same photo at the same time...and when i go to delete a photo, even one i JUST took, it says this will delete it from all ipl on all devices...what the crap!

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
It takes everything and move them to iCloud. Should free up space on your phone. When you want to view a photo or you recently viewed a photo those stay on your phone in as an optimized copy.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
"Essentially, iCloud Photo Library is part of Apple's new iCloud Drive service. It will replace the way Photo Stream currently exists, mainly the 1,000 photos or 30 days limit. Instead, iCloud Photo Library will store as many photos as your iCloud Drive storage can hold. It also will sync any albums you've created on any iPhone or iPad that's also got iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Drive enabled, which means your photos stay organized and look the same no matter what device you're viewing them on." ~ Allyson Kazmucha

Source: Yes, Camera Roll is gone in iOS 8 — Here's where it went and why! | iMore

juanito979

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Problem I see with iCloud: You can?t sync photos from iPhoto, until the new app Photos appears in Apple, in January:mad:

So, little bit piece of ****, because I sync more than 1000 photos fron iPhoto and is imposiible sync if you have iCloud photo Library ON

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I am having a slight issue with iCloud Photos too..

Question! So I can't create folders anymore and/or have photos albums anymore?

I use them for business / models like categories

Portraits & Headshots
Theme Shoots
Hair & Makeup
Published October

All the photo albums are gone (I can turn off and re-sync, not worried about loss).. but now I have one one album called ALL PHOTOS and I see no way in iTunes to create or sync the albums anymore or create it on iClould.

So now we just get a huge dump of images?

I must be missing something.

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
All the photo albums are gone (I can turn off and re-sync, not worried about loss).. but now I have one one album called ALL PHOTOS and I see no way in iTunes to create or sync the albums anymore or create it on iClould.

My Folders are all still intact.

ktaifan

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone tell me how big the file sizes are for the "optimized" photos? Thanks.

Wondering how much space this really will save if everything in the cloud is also on the device by extension (vs onedrive or Google plus photos where you can upload, delete from phone, yet still have a copy in the cloud- a better solution for my needs).

jlb21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Of course 1 "drawback" to icloud photo is the usage of space. If you have a ton of photos to store, you will use your storage space quicker and may have to pay for more space. Of course, you have to weigh that against storing locally.

I don't use icloud photo. I don't take a lot of photos, though. And anything I care about greatly either is something i've posted to facebook (not caring about resolution) or something I have put on the computer and edited for printing out, etc.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm not using iCloud Photo Library. It takes too much iCloud storage space. I need that for back up. And I refuse to buy more space. Instead, I use Dropbox, Box and OneDrive for storage of photos and videos. I do use iCloud Photo Sharing some. But I'm keeping that limited.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Had to turn off iCloud Library, don't like having ONE bucket of photos. I can't create any albums unless I do it on the phone and move them one by one.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Had to turn off iCloud Library, don't like having ONE bucket of photos. I can't create any albums unless I do it on the phone and move them one by one.
You can create albums in iCloud photo sharing. It's not the same as iCloud Photo Library. And you don't have to share. I had created an album in January of 2013. Forgot about it. Found it a few days ago and was confused. You can do that, or use cloud storage apps like Box, Dropbox and OneDrive. You can create albums in those apps.

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm not using iCloud Photo Library. It takes too much iCloud storage space. I need that for back up. And I refuse to buy more space. Instead, I use Dropbox, Box and OneDrive for storage of photos and videos. I do use iCloud Photo Sharing some. But I'm keeping that limited.

Yes, but if you are backing up your photos in iCloud, you no longer have to do that if you are using iCloud photos. It actually takes up less iCloud space if you have more than one device, since they would share the IPL and you don't have to back up both (hope that makes sense).

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The way Apple has introduced the iCloud Photo Library hasn't made it seem like a smooth transition from photo stream. I can understand all the confusion from users when they see all these options to toggle on and off in the iCloud photo settings.

Usually when Apple introduces new things like this it's easy to explain how they work. This has so much run around I huff and puff just thinking about it lol

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Question: Is there any way "anymore" to take a photo on your iPhone and have it automatically copy to your PC like it did before iOS 8 If there is, I can't find it. iCloud no longer works for their photostream to the PC.

theleescott

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
still not clear, ive got 200gb of icloud, i understand the optimized version of the photo, but it's still using space....it just seems like after i take a photo and it syncs to icloud i should be able to remove it from my phone freeing up the storage...when i look at a synced photo it shows a little syncing indicator circle and then the phone storage goes down....for example, i looked at maybe 20-25 photos just to test and it went up several dozen mb on my storage....for simplicity they really need a camera roll (local) and all photos or icloud photo library album seperate to show what has synced, then you could empty the camera roll and free up storage

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW