Maybe it is just me, but between the (wise, IMHO) decision to release Yosemite Thursday, and wait until Monday for iOS 8.1, then add in the preorder for the iPad Air 2 with a date, but no official "in stores" date, I was hoping that Apple may have "come to its senses" a bit.

I was thinking that they can just allow iPad preorders to get to the customer right away with no artificiality imposed hold til date, and that maybe iOS 8.1 would begin rolling out on a time zone by time zone basis.

All of this would combine to alleviate stress on their infrastructure.

Since it is Monday in part of the world now, perhaps I was just being optimistic.

What do you all think?
    10-19-2014 05:27 PM
    I think it will be out tomorrow around 1pm EST
    iSRS likes this.
    10-19-2014 05:37 PM
    I think it will be out tomorrow around 1pm EST
    I agree. Was just hoping for a slight change to protocol. Would help everyone.
    10-19-2014 05:39 PM
    Maybe it is just me, but between the (wise, IMHO) decision to release Yosemite Thursday, and wait until Monday for iOS 8.1, then add in the preorder for the iPad Air 2 with a date, but no official "in stores" date, I was hoping that Apple may have "come to its senses" a bit.

I was thinking that they can just allow iPad preorders to get to the customer right away with no artificiality imposed hold til date, and that maybe iOS 8.1 would begin rolling out on a time zone by time zone basis.

All of this would combine to alleviate stress on their infrastructure.

Since it is Monday in part of the world now, perhaps I was just being optimistic.

What do you all think?
    Doubtful. Apple typically releases iOS updates at 10:00 am PDT. iOS 8.1 will be no different.
    10-19-2014 06:08 PM
    I'm expecting it tomorrow at noon my time (CDT). That's what it's always been.
    kch50428 likes this.
    10-19-2014 06:30 PM
    I have no idea why they don't roll out staggered by timezone? It makes no sense as the chaos of iOS 8.0 where I spent 8 hrs trying to download and encountered countless timeouts and 300+hrs remaining on a 80MB Fibre connection then at 1am UK time I finally managed to download and install in about 20mins!

Staggering would just ease everyone in and surely load balance on the servers.
    iSRS, TurboTiger and AgentHeracles like this.
    10-19-2014 06:38 PM
    A staggered roll out makes sense. I was lucky with iOS 8. I got it right at noon and it only took about 20 minutes. Probably not going to happen again.
    10-19-2014 06:43 PM
    A staggered roll out makes sense. I was lucky with iOS 8. I got it right at noon and it only took about 20 minutes. Probably not going to happen again.
    Think positive!

Sent from my iPhone 6 finally!
    pr1nce likes this.
    10-19-2014 07:00 PM
    I have no idea why they don't roll out staggered by timezone? It makes no sense as the chaos of iOS 8.0 where I spent 8 hrs trying to download and encountered countless timeouts and 300+hrs remaining on a 80MB Fibre connection then at 1am UK time I finally managed to download and install in about 20mins!

That was my point. I think it would make the most sense.
    10-19-2014 07:04 PM
    I'm just going to download the .ipsw when it's available and install via iTunes, saves having to delete stuff off my phone to make room for the OTA, or having to wait ages for it to download via iTunes.

Roland
    10-20-2014 03:05 AM
    It's because apple doesn't want for be like google! They want to release the software at one time around the globe
    10-20-2014 03:20 AM
    What? Have you malfunctioned ?
    10-20-2014 04:07 AM

So would waiting to install If it's taking that long just cancel and wait.

Easier said than done, I know...
    10-20-2014 06:11 AM
    Good Job
    10-20-2014 06:17 AM
    I'm just going to download the .ipsw when it's available and install via iTunes, saves having to delete stuff off my phone to make room for the OTA, or having to wait ages for it to download via iTunes.

Roland
    That's what I plan to do but I might do a clean install days after if I get any problems.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    10-20-2014 07:48 AM
    Your post makes me think.

When we do in-house software updates at work, we place the .exe on several servers and update a number of workstations from each .exe at the same time. Sometimes one or two updates will successfully complete the install, but not all features will work properly. I made a post about iOS inconsistencies on the same devices running the same versions of iOS.

Anyone think there is a chance that when iOS users flock to grab the latest iOS update at the same time, they are successfully completing the install and update, but because there are millions of users drawing from the same files, the software might actually not all get projected down the user's device? And therefore causing inconsistencies?
    10-20-2014 08:14 AM
    Your post makes me think.

When we do in-house software updates at work, we place the .exe on several servers and update a number of workstations from each .exe at the same time. Sometimes one or two updates will successfully complete the install, but not all features will work properly. I made a post about iOS inconsistencies on the same devices running the same versions of iOS.

Anyone think there is a chance that when iOS users flock to grab the latest iOS update at the same time, they are successfully completing the install and update, but because there are millions of users drawing from the same files, the software might actually not all get projected down the user's device? And therefore causing inconsistencies?
    Certainly possible although more likely to just get a corrupt install which won't complete the upgrade properly.
    10-20-2014 08:34 AM
    That's what I plan to do but I might do a clean install days after if I get any problems.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    I did the 8.0.2 OTA as I was not at home when it went live, & has to do the iTunes restore & restore from a backup due to getting a lot of no service problems as I wanted to clear any bugs before 8.1 to make sure nothing gets passed on to 8.1.

Roland
    10-20-2014 08:36 AM
    In a world of checksums and hashes, you're very unlikely to get a busted install file. The reason for inconsistencies and other quirks with iOS installs is likely the almost infinite combination of unique settings and install histories that they have to account for. Sometimes things get missed unfortunately.
    10-20-2014 09:33 AM

Roland
    Where do you get this from
    10-20-2014 11:17 AM
    I always do OTA. Never had a problem.
    10-20-2014 11:20 AM
    Though I have high hopes about the good that will come from this update, I am still going to err on the side of caution and give it a whirl with my iPad Mini first before updating my 5s.
    10-20-2014 11:56 AM
    Where do you get this from
    Once it's released, you can download from Apple directly, or numerous 3rd party sources after they get it to their servers... those can be found via Bing or Google...
    10-20-2014 12:01 PM
    Okay and I guess you just out it the folder that normally iTunes puts them?
    10-20-2014 12:08 PM
    Okay and I guess you just out it the folder that normally iTunes puts them?
    Not necessarily. Use the Option-click (Shift-click for Windows users) on Update in iTunes. This will allow you to navigate to wherever you stored the file on your computer to allow you to use a specific .ipsw file.
    10-20-2014 12:15 PM
46 12