iOS 8.1 - Release Time discussion

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it is just me, but between the (wise, IMHO) decision to release Yosemite Thursday, and wait until Monday for iOS 8.1, then add in the preorder for the iPad Air 2 with a date, but no official "in stores" date, I was hoping that Apple may have "come to its senses" a bit.

I was thinking that they can just allow iPad preorders to get to the customer right away with no artificiality imposed hold til date, and that maybe iOS 8.1 would begin rolling out on a time zone by time zone basis.

All of this would combine to alleviate stress on their infrastructure.

Since it is Monday in part of the world now, perhaps I was just being optimistic.

What do you all think?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it is just me, but between the (wise, IMHO) decision to release Yosemite Thursday, and wait until Monday for iOS 8.1, then add in the preorder for the iPad Air 2 with a date, but no official "in stores" date, I was hoping that Apple may have "come to its senses" a bit.

I was thinking that they can just allow iPad preorders to get to the customer right away with no artificiality imposed hold til date, and that maybe iOS 8.1 would begin rolling out on a time zone by time zone basis.

All of this would combine to alleviate stress on their infrastructure.

Since it is Monday in part of the world now, perhaps I was just being optimistic.

What do you all think?

Doubtful. Apple typically releases iOS updates at 10:00 am PDT. iOS 8.1 will be no different.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea why they don't roll out staggered by timezone? It makes no sense as the chaos of iOS 8.0 where I spent 8 hrs trying to download and encountered countless timeouts and 300+hrs remaining on a 80MB Fibre connection then at 1am UK time I finally managed to download and install in about 20mins!

Staggering would just ease everyone in and surely load balance on the servers.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
A staggered roll out makes sense. I was lucky with iOS 8. I got it right at noon and it only took about 20 minutes. Probably not going to happen again.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea why they don't roll out staggered by timezone? It makes no sense as the chaos of iOS 8.0 where I spent 8 hrs trying to download and encountered countless timeouts and 300+hrs remaining on a 80MB Fibre connection then at 1am UK time I finally managed to download and install in about 20mins!

That was my point. I think it would make the most sense.

Rolandh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm just going to download the .ipsw when it's available and install via iTunes, saves having to delete stuff off my phone to make room for the OTA, or having to wait ages for it to download via iTunes.

Roland

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

So would waiting to install :) If it's taking that long just cancel and wait.

Easier said than done, I know... ;)

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm just going to download the .ipsw when it's available and install via iTunes, saves having to delete stuff off my phone to make room for the OTA, or having to wait ages for it to download via iTunes.

Roland

That's what I plan to do but I might do a clean install days after if I get any problems.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Your post makes me think.

When we do in-house software updates at work, we place the .exe on several servers and update a number of workstations from each .exe at the same time. Sometimes one or two updates will successfully complete the install, but not all features will work properly. I made a post about iOS inconsistencies on the same devices running the same versions of iOS.

Anyone think there is a chance that when iOS users flock to grab the latest iOS update at the same time, they are successfully completing the install and update, but because there are millions of users drawing from the same files, the software might actually not all get projected down the user's device? And therefore causing inconsistencies?

Rolandh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
That's what I plan to do but I might do a clean install days after if I get any problems.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

I did the 8.0.2 OTA as I was not at home when it went live, & has to do the iTunes restore & restore from a backup due to getting a lot of no service problems as I wanted to clear any bugs before 8.1 to make sure nothing gets passed on to 8.1.

Roland

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Anyone think there is a chance that when iOS users flock to grab the latest iOS update at the same time, they are successfully completing the install and update, but because there are millions of users drawing from the same files, the software might actually not all get projected down the user's device? And therefore causing inconsistencies?

In a world of checksums and hashes, you're very unlikely to get a busted install file. The reason for inconsistencies and other quirks with iOS installs is likely the almost infinite combination of unique settings and install histories that they have to account for. Sometimes things get missed unfortunately.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2