iCloud VS OneDrive for picture backup

AB Lambert

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
All,

I am looking to backup my pictures from my iPhone. I have been using OneDrive and have been happy using it.

I thought I would try iCloud because it is integrated into IOS 8 and my get better all-around performance.
I have been having a heck of a time either getting used to it or maybe I am just be doing it wrong.

Which one do you prefer and why?

Thanks,
A.B.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I use OneDrive, because it has a larger capacity for free. Only issue there that I know of is that in order to do the backup, I need to manually start the OneDrive application on the phone. Same thing with using Google Drive or Dropbox.

If you want the backup to "just happen" and you have the storage space on the cloud, then staying with iCloud might be better.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I use iCloud for back up. But I use Box, Dropbox, and OneDrive for storage of photos, videos and documents. I can then delete those from my camera roll. Between the 3, I have 82 gb of free storage. If I need more, there's Google Drive.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I use OneDrive, because it has a larger capacity for free. Only issue there that I know of is that in order to do the backup, I need to manually start the OneDrive application on the phone. Same thing with using Google Drive or Dropbox.

If you want the backup to "just happen" and you have the storage space on the cloud, then staying with iCloud might be better.

Doesn't OneDrive offer the option to automatically backup pictures in the background now?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't OneDrive offer the option to automatically backup pictures in the background now?
It backs them up in the cloud, if that's what you mean. But I don't use that. I back up with iCloud. It backs up what is currently on the phone. It's not the same as storage.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I have been using OneDrive and I am back to Dropbox. OneDrive I have about 31GB's of storage.
DropBox is my secondary just in case.
I gave up for now with Google Drive, it gave me lots of problems on my Mac.

CycloneFW

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I use DropBox and Photo Stream since DropBox uses the full resolution image instead of downsampling it in Photo Stream.

On the second day of having my iPhone 6+, I tried OneDrive since they offered 30 GB free. Sadly, it also downsized my images. However, that was day of iPhone 6+ use and maybe the app has been updated to full res? I took sample pictures with the stock Camera, emailed it to myself from Photos and from OneDrive, and had lost lots of quality from OneDrive.

SmartFah

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I've been debating if I should switch from iCloud to OneDrive for photos as well. Once I got my 6+ I've been going beast mode on all the photos & videos I take, and I've used up my free iCloud storage.

I've been using OneDrive for years, and was grandfathered into the 25gb free storage. However, I decided to upgrade to the 20gb iCloud storage for .99?/month. I basically did it for the automatic back ups, and the ease of putting the photos/videos back on my phone after doing a restore, or getting a new device. I may enable camera backups on OneDrive just to have as a second backup.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I use Box, Dropbox and OneDrive for photo storage. I'm not using iCloud Photo Library. I use iCloud to back up what's currently on my phone. iCloud Photo Library would take up my iCloud storage space. I do use iCloud Photo Sharing some, but sparingly.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

xderiwx

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I use DropBox and Photo Stream since DropBox uses the full resolution image instead of downsampling it in Photo Stream.

On the second day of having my iPhone 6+, I tried OneDrive since they offered 30 GB free. Sadly, it also downsized my images. However, that was day of iPhone 6+ use and maybe the app has been updated to full res? I took sample pictures with the stock Camera, emailed it to myself from Photos and from OneDrive, and had lost lots of quality from OneDrive.

I actually emailed Microsoft about this a couple of weeks ago. I was told that there is no compression done to the photos if uploaded in full resolution. I also asked if you could then re-download the photos to your device through the app at full resolution and was told yes. After trying with a couple photos, I seemed to get the same file size after uploading and downloading. :)

Posted via the iMore App for Android

CycloneFW

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Thank you. That must have changed as I went from 2.x MB native to 800k after the round trip to OneDrive when I tried it when I first got my 6+. I was getting a new roof put in and you could see the difference in the individual shingles vs. a black blue when comparing the image in Photos and the photo emailed to myself and saved in Photos from OneDrive.

Also, my "Camera Roll" was 1.7 GB and I used 800 MB of storage on OneDrive.

Glad to hear this has changed. I will have to start using them again!

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I use Box, Dropbox and OneDrive for photo storage. I'm not using iCloud Photo Library. I use iCloud to back up what's currently on my phone. iCloud Photo Library would take up my iCloud storage space. I do use iCloud Photo Sharing some, but sparingly.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

I do the same thing with iCloud.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I guess the folder can be deleted. I just assumed it was something new, because I never created the folder.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415411759.281962.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods