It's 29.6MB - is the 16GB model the only one you could afford?
    Geeze being a moderator I would expect more. But way to be so welcoming to people. Maybe you need to take some of your own advice about being polite instead of being a total d*ck to the poster voicing a concern. They make a valid point. Even if they aren't using 16 GB iPhone. The app to them is bloat and they wished it could be uninstalled. Hop off your high horse, either answer his question or like in other threads you come to moderate, just don't visit the thread.
    calebt and stoneland like this.
    10-12-2014 08:38 PM
    What does it matter if the OP can only afford a 16gb phone or not? Whether the OP has an 8gb, 16gb, 32gb, 64gb, or 128gb doesn't change the fact that yeah, it does kinda suck that we can't delete iBooks and all the new Health apps and stuff.

This is a really hostile thread... "wow, I really hate that I can't delete these apps from my phone" has been met with "buy a phone with more storage", "too bad, you bought Apple, suck it up", "go get an Android phone" and the like.

I started coming over here because the WP Central forums are crazy hostile at times. Evidently, this place is just about the same.
    sanibel and stoneland like this.
    10-13-2014 12:26 AM
    this is especially annoying when you cant update your software because youre running out of space for things you don't want!
    sanibel likes this.
    10-13-2014 04:37 AM
    I happen to like iBooks but can understand the op wanting more space.

However I don't find the argument that all you can afford is the 16gb version that compelling when you factor in the cellular plan. I'd say you have other more serious problems if it is an issue.
    10-13-2014 07:23 AM
    You do. Buy Apple and get a few apps that you probably will never use. Or buy anything else and see what "bloatware" is really all about. The end.
    Nonsense. This is a defeated attitude. I pay for a phone, everything else is optional: It's called freedom. Stop pointing me to another company; I have plenty of oranges and apple in my basket.
    10-13-2014 08:36 AM
    The only constructive thing you can do with the unwanted default installed apps is to provide feedback to Apple and maybe they will change it in a future release or vote with your wallet and change platforms. Of course neither of those may work because Apple isn't going to change unless they get a lot of feedback about it and other platforms may have their own issues with undeleteable default apps.
    Ledsteplin and kch50428 like this.
    10-13-2014 08:49 AM
    My suggestion to anyone wanting to take the bloatware off is to build your own phone.

That's the only way you'll bypass such an "inconvenience".

When you buy proprietary software, you'll get proprietary applications. Welcome to the world of technology companies.

Beamed over the interwebs, via my 5S and Tapatalk
    10-13-2014 09:45 AM
    I am still on my 16 gb iP 5. I don't use 9 of the stock apps and keep them hidden in a folder. I access contacts in the phone app. And I also use the 3rd party contacts app, iContacts+. It affords more functionality and options. But it's only 1.5 mb. iBooks is the only one of these that takes any significant space, at 42.2 mb. But I'm not gonna make a big deal over that. I still have over 4.3 gb available. That should last me until January when I upgrade to 64 gb something. Still undecided which one. Here's my useless apps.
    I really hate it when Apple forced you to install iBooks + Podcast-imageuploadedbytapatalk1413208486.394782.jpg

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
    10-13-2014 09:54 AM
    The OP is complaining about a few uninstallible apps as if it's only something Apple does. Meanwhile going through my M8 I have almost 20 uninstallible apps, 12 of them from Verizon alone...

Sent from my HTC M8
    Don't most Android phones have the ability to use an SD card as expandable storage though?
    10-13-2014 09:56 AM
    Nonsense. This is a defeated attitude. I pay for a phone, everything else is optional: It's called freedom. Stop pointing me to another company; I have plenty of oranges and apple in my basket.
    My point is simply this. Apple does put some apps in iOS that are largely unused. But to read this thread, one would be led to believe that ONLY Apple gives you apps that you may not use, with no way of removing them. Buy any other brand of device from any device company, wireless provider or big box store and look at all the freaking bloatware that is likewise not removable.

But because Apple's apps are non-removable, despite not being spammy, find-a-way-to-get-you-to-pay-for-crap-you-dont-even-want apps, Apple is the bad guy here?

Again, IF you want to see what bloatware really looks like, but something else and see it up close and personal. BTW, yes you also PAY for the other phones, so that is immaterial.
    10-13-2014 10:46 AM
    It sucks and I agree. Preinstalled apps ought to be removable. I paid a lot of money for my IP6 (more ka'ching in Apple's bank) so I should have some choices.
    You feel you should have even more choices than you already have? Like it or not, Apple has made these apps pre-installed because they want them part of the OS now. It's the same deal as having the voice memos app pre-installed.

If you bought an iPhone 6 either 64 or 128 gigabytes, you can delete all the iWork apps that come pre-installed. Like Karen said, if people provided enough feedback that they don't want iBooks or Podcasts pre-installed, it won't come pre-installed. I paid full price for a 6 Plus 128GB knowing full well what was going to be pre-installed. To the common person (people that aren't enthusiasts that come to tech forums like ourselves), they'll just ignore those apps if they don't use them and think nothing of them. That's why they will stay there.

And the reason Hank points you towards another company is because you talked about having more choices. Having choices isn't only confined to Apple. I'm happy as hell that all these companies compete with Apple and provide me choices too.
    10-13-2014 10:49 AM
    Geeze being a moderator I would expect more. But way to be so welcoming to people. Maybe you need to take some of your own advice about being polite instead of being a total d*ck to the poster voicing a concern. They make a valid point. Even if they aren't using 16 GB iPhone. The app to them is bloat and they wished it could be uninstalled. Hop off your high horse, either answer his question or like in other threads you come to moderate, just don't visit the thread.
    Ask a simple question...get a complicated answer... I've seen plenty of people in these and other forums say that a 16GB model is all they could afford and were looking to maximize available space... smh...
    10-13-2014 11:26 AM
    Ask a simple question...get a complicated answer... I've seen plenty of people in these and other forums say that a 16GB model is all they could afford and were looking to maximize available space... smh...
    Except your message appeared very belittling. So you can shake your head all you want. You have a condescending tone in most of your posts and for a moderator I'd expect more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    calebt and stoneland like this.
    10-13-2014 11:36 AM
    I agree with the OP... there should be some flexibility and freedom concerning removal of apps; especially when those apps didn't come preinstalled on your device.
    stoneland likes this.
    10-13-2014 01:47 PM
    When you buy proprietary software, you'll get proprietary applications. Welcome to the world of technology companies.
    ?!
    Proprietary software is software licensed under exclusive legal right of the copyright. Nowhere does it say that apps must be LOCKED in a phone; a phone I paid $750 for. Apple can sell me a phone with its software but I should have the ability to delete it.
    10-13-2014 04:13 PM
    ?!
    Proprietary software is software licensed under exclusive legal right of the copyright. Nowhere does it say that apps must be LOCKED in a phone; a phone I paid $750 for. Apple can sell me a phone with its software but I should have the ability to delete it.
    Takeaway all the legal/patent jargon and proprietary software means, "It's ours and we can do whatever we want with it".

Unless stated otherwise, yes it does mean they can lock down whatever they want.

BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    10-13-2014 04:18 PM
    ?!
    Complain to Apple:
    Apple - iPhone - Feedback
    10-13-2014 04:18 PM
    ?!
    This really made me laugh.
    10-13-2014 04:32 PM
    Unless stated otherwise, yes it does mean they can lock down whatever they want.
    And obviously they do. My point remains standing: Let customers decide. The jail-breaking phenomenon, or privilege escalation, sprung from such sentiments.
    10-13-2014 04:37 PM
    Complain to Apple:
    Apple - iPhone - Feedback
    You defend them better than they do...
    I wrote a rather lengthy letter to Apple. But this is a community thread in which we discuss issues.
    10-13-2014 04:38 PM
    You defend them better than they do...
    I wrote a rather lengthy letter to Apple. But this is a community thread in which we discuss issues.
    Not necessarily defending 'them'. Just stating the obvious. If you want it changed, talk to the people that can change it. We are not 'them'.

What response did you get from your letter?
    10-13-2014 04:42 PM
    Not necessarily defending 'them'. Just stating the obvious. If you want it changed, talk to the people that can change it. We are not 'them'.
    Understood. I consider this a dialog as all threads are. Since you take Apple's side I'm having a dialog with you...
    10-13-2014 04:47 PM
    Bi***ing here will accomplish nothing whether our fellow members, ambassadors, or moderators agree with you or not.
    If enough people provide feedback to Apple, they may decide to change it.
    10-13-2014 04:47 PM
    Understood. I consider this a dialog as all threads are. Since you take Apple's side I'm having a dialog with you...
    Not any more. It's clear that I cannot resolve your grievance with Apple's oppressive behavior.

And I am not necessarily taking Apple's side, but I do recognize that I don't have the power to change their policies.
    10-13-2014 04:51 PM
    And obviously they do. My point remains standing: Let customers decide. The jail-breaking phenomenon, or privilege escalation, sprung from such sentiments.
    And, customers did decide...when they purchased the phone in the first place. You bought a finished product, you didn't buy into an open source developing platform. From the beginning, Apple made it clear that they would control it and that's what's happening here.

If you don't like it, well then tell them and maybe they will listen.

10-13-2014 05:02 PM
52 123