I really hate it when Apple forced you to install iBooks + Podcast

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
My holy lord. Twenty nine point six megabytes wouldn't even burden me on a 4GB phone.

Some of you should switch to a carrier branded android phone for a day or so you'll see what real bloatware is.

I remember my 16GB Note 2. I had something like 9.7 usable storage space.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
It’s not the size of the app that’s in question; it’s the fact that we can’t remove them. Personally I don’t care, I buy a device with enough space that suits my needs. I’m not knocking Apple or anybody, I just agree with the Op’s thread title.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
The OP is complaining about a few uninstallible apps as if it's only something Apple does. Meanwhile going through my M8 I have almost 20 uninstallible apps, 12 of them from Verizon alone...

Sent from my HTC M8

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
He’s not saying its only Apple. The Op has an Apple device he’s on a forum that talks about Apple devices, so he is venting about an Apple device and what he is using now, I don't even know why Android or any of the other phone carriers are even being brought up, it seems like all these types of threads turn into an Apple vs Android debate, and not only that he was insulted by one of the moderators for his opinion.

We all know there is bloat, most of us used many different devices over the years, but its something we should be able to remove for the money we pay for the devices we use, I know that will never happen though.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
It's 29.6MB - is the 16GB model the only one you could afford?

Geeze being a moderator I would expect more. But way to be so welcoming to people. Maybe you need to take some of your own advice about being polite instead of being a total d*ck to the poster voicing a concern. They make a valid point. Even if they aren't using 16 GB iPhone. The app to them is bloat and they wished it could be uninstalled. Hop off your high horse, either answer his question or like in other threads you come to moderate, just don't visit the thread.

iamtim

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
What does it matter if the OP can only afford a 16gb phone or not? Whether the OP has an 8gb, 16gb, 32gb, 64gb, or 128gb doesn't change the fact that yeah, it does kinda suck that we can't delete iBooks and all the new Health apps and stuff.

This is a really hostile thread... "wow, I really hate that I can't delete these apps from my phone" has been met with "buy a phone with more storage", "too bad, you bought Apple, suck it up", "go get an Android phone" and the like.

I started coming over here because the WP Central forums are crazy hostile at times. Evidently, this place is just about the same.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I happen to like iBooks but can understand the op wanting more space.

However I don't find the argument that all you can afford is the 16gb version that compelling when you factor in the cellular plan. I'd say you have other more serious problems if it is an issue.

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
You do. Buy Apple and get a few apps that you probably will never use. Or buy anything else and see what "bloatware" is really all about. The end.

Nonsense. This is a defeated attitude. I pay for a phone, everything else is optional: It's called freedom. Stop pointing me to another company; I have plenty of oranges and apple in my basket.

Sancho90

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
My suggestion to anyone wanting to take the bloatware off is to build your own phone.

That's the only way you'll bypass such an "inconvenience".

When you buy proprietary software, you'll get proprietary applications. Welcome to the world of technology companies.

Beamed over the interwebs, via my 5S and Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I am still on my 16 gb iP 5. I don't use 9 of the stock apps and keep them hidden in a folder. I access contacts in the phone app. And I also use the 3rd party contacts app, iContacts+. It affords more functionality and options. But it's only 1.5 mb. iBooks is the only one of these that takes any significant space, at 42.2 mb. But I'm not gonna make a big deal over that. I still have over 4.3 gb available. That should last me until January when I upgrade to 64 gb something. Still undecided which one. Here's my useless apps. :D
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413208486.394782.jpg

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
The OP is complaining about a few uninstallible apps as if it's only something Apple does. Meanwhile going through my M8 I have almost 20 uninstallible apps, 12 of them from Verizon alone...

Sent from my HTC M8

Don't most Android phones have the ability to use an SD card as expandable storage though?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Nonsense. This is a defeated attitude. I pay for a phone, everything else is optional: It's called freedom. Stop pointing me to another company; I have plenty of oranges and apple in my basket.

My point is simply this. Apple does put some apps in iOS that are largely unused. But to read this thread, one would be led to believe that ONLY Apple gives you apps that you may not use, with no way of removing them. Buy any other brand of device from any device company, wireless provider or big box store and look at all the freaking bloatware that is likewise not removable.

But because Apple's apps are non-removable, despite not being spammy, find-a-way-to-get-you-to-pay-for-crap-you-dont-even-want apps, Apple is the bad guy here?

Again, IF you want to see what bloatware really looks like, but something else and see it up close and personal. BTW, yes you also PAY for the other phones, so that is immaterial.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It sucks and I agree. Preinstalled apps ought to be removable. I paid a lot of money for my IP6 (more ka'ching in Apple's bank) so I should have some choices.

You feel you should have even more choices than you already have? Like it or not, Apple has made these apps pre-installed because they want them part of the OS now. It's the same deal as having the voice memos app pre-installed.

If you bought an iPhone 6 either 64 or 128 gigabytes, you can delete all the iWork apps that come pre-installed. Like Karen said, if people provided enough feedback that they don't want iBooks or Podcasts pre-installed, it won't come pre-installed. I paid full price for a 6 Plus 128GB knowing full well what was going to be pre-installed. To the common person (people that aren't enthusiasts that come to tech forums like ourselves), they'll just ignore those apps if they don't use them and think nothing of them. That's why they will stay there.

And the reason Hank points you towards another company is because you talked about having more choices. Having choices isn't only confined to Apple. I'm happy as hell that all these companies compete with Apple and provide me choices too.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Geeze being a moderator I would expect more. But way to be so welcoming to people. Maybe you need to take some of your own advice about being polite instead of being a total d*ck to the poster voicing a concern. They make a valid point. Even if they aren't using 16 GB iPhone. The app to them is bloat and they wished it could be uninstalled. Hop off your high horse, either answer his question or like in other threads you come to moderate, just don't visit the thread.

Ask a simple question...get a complicated answer... I've seen plenty of people in these and other forums say that a 16GB model is all they could afford and were looking to maximize available space... smh...

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Ask a simple question...get a complicated answer... I've seen plenty of people in these and other forums say that a 16GB model is all they could afford and were looking to maximize available space... smh...

Except your message appeared very belittling. So you can shake your head all you want. You have a condescending tone in most of your posts and for a moderator I'd expect more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the OP... there should be some flexibility and freedom concerning removal of apps; especially when those apps didn't come preinstalled on your device.

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
When you buy proprietary software, you'll get proprietary applications. Welcome to the world of technology companies.
?!
Proprietary software is software licensed under exclusive legal right of the copyright. Nowhere does it say that apps must be LOCKED in a phone; a phone I paid $750 for. Apple can sell me a phone with its software but I should have the ability to delete it.

Sancho90

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
?!
Proprietary software is software licensed under exclusive legal right of the copyright. Nowhere does it say that apps must be LOCKED in a phone; a phone I paid $750 for. Apple can sell me a phone with its software but I should have the ability to delete it.

Takeaway all the legal/patent jargon and proprietary software means, "It's ours and we can do whatever we want with it".

Unless stated otherwise, yes it does mean they can lock down whatever they want.

Beamed over the interwebs, via my 5S and Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen