Has anyone read, or experienced, the effects of widgets on battery life?

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I can't imagine this has not been asked, but several searches did not produce anything so here goes. Has anyone read, or experienced, the affect of widgets on battery life? I currently am running the Weather Channel widget and ESPN Scorecenter widget. If those, and other widgets, are constantly updating in the background then I have to imagine there is battery life impact. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: IOS 8 widgets and battery life

Funny I was wondering the same thing and just recently disabled all my widgets and it seems to have helped a little bit

Mind you I had a total of 6 widgets running at that time

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site

Been wondering the same thing, been running Weather channel and Sports center. haven't really noticed much if any drain.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

I'm running yahoo weather, pcalc, calendar, reminders, and stocard in the noti center. My battery life has been just as good as it previously was without the widgets....and I use the noti center & lock screen a good bit through out the day for checking off reminders, emails and text messages.

morrisbuttermaker

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site

I'm not knocking anyone's choices, but for those that are using widgets...why ? It appears to me to create steps to get to apps.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I think so, I did some tests and found my phone woke up for about 15 minutes per hour with the ESPN sportscenter widget on.

Sent from my Surface 2 using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I don't think they drain much. I thought so at first, but after removing them, no change. One culprit is Location Based Alerts in system services of location services. It uses geofencing non stop. I saw the icon in the status bar and it took me a while to find what it was. It was running my battery down fast.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

darksora14562

May 26, 2013
Visit site

I don't think they drain anything as long as you have background at refresh turned off but if you have it on then yes it will be updating automatically because you're allowing the apps to update on their own as well as updating the widgets

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm learning a lot from you guys. So...using a widget isn't like going to an app on your home screen and tapping on it ??
I think it's more like a photo in an album is the same photo on the camera roll or in Moments. The one in the album takes no additional space. It's kind of like that with the widgets it seems. Same info and actions, different place. I may be wrong though. :D

H_D

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site

I use them to avoid the need of opening an app. The info I need is now one swipe away.

To go a step further you don't even have to open the phone if you have it set up to access the Notification Center from the lock screen. Saves time when you just want a quick update or glance.

Rolandh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site

Can't say I've noticed any excessive battery drain from using Notification Center Widgets, the biggest battery drain for me is the need for Bluetooth to be on 24/7 for my fitbit Flex.

Roland

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

It seems like some widgets do cause a drain, while others do not. The ESPN widget doesn't cause me any noticable drain, but weather underground definitely ate into the battery.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

It seems like some widgets do cause a drain, while others do not. The ESPN widget doesn't cause me any noticable drain, but weather underground definitely ate into the battery.
I haven't noticed Weather Underground do anything. What makes you certain it was weather underground?

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

I haven't noticed Weather Underground do anything. What makes you certain it was weather underground?

It was the only new app I had installed, showed significant battery usage, and my phone discharged about 10% faster than normal.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

It was the only new app I had installed, showed significant battery usage, and my phone discharged about 10% faster than normal.

As much as I like Weather Underground, uninstalled it for two reasons:

1. Widgets were constantly crashing per details in the Diagnostics and Usage.
2. Weather by location never worked via GPS. Always showed my "home" station - even after purging static locations to force GPS.

When it was installed and active, didn't notice any significant battery usage (> 2% daily) for the widgets.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

I have the WU widget active and disabled background update. Seems to still work fine.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR