I noticed that all of my voice memos are gone after my upgrade to iOS 8 (currently running 8.0.2). If I reboot my 5S and open the voice memo app, it looks like it's trying to load the memos (looks very glitchy), then they all just disappear. My wife's is missing some on her 5S, too, but she does have some that show up; she updated to 8.0. Has anyone else experience this? I'm thinking that the memos aren't really deleted, but some bug is preventing them from loading into the voice memo app.

Thank you
    Saima Samad likes this.
    10-01-2014 02:44 PM
    Assuming your speaking about your Native Notes app that back up to iCloud if you created an iCloud email address in the past

If you check your notes account you will notice that there's notes only on your device and your backed up icloud notes. You need to make sure they were sent to your cloud for them to be saved
    Saima Samad likes this.
    10-01-2014 05:10 PM
    My apologies I see your referring to the voice memos. I'm not sure if there included in your icloud back up but are included in the iTunes back up

Which avenue did you use to update your devices?
    Saima Samad likes this.
    10-01-2014 05:15 PM
    Thank you. I do regular itunes backups (and iCloud), so they should have synced to itunes. I haven't checked itunes yet, but I always forget if it's a one way or two way sync. In other words, if itunes doesn't see the voice memos on my phone, will it remove the memos that have already been synced to iTunes?
    Saima Samad likes this.
    10-01-2014 05:59 PM
    I am also unable to record new voice memos. When I hit the record button, it just puts an empty new file in the list but you cannot play it (just like the others).
    Saima Samad likes this.
    10-03-2014 11:12 PM
    Same thing Happened to me! I updated today and when i went to record a song idea in the voice memos app, everything started going all haywire as you described. Anyone had success fixing the issue?
    10-11-2014 06:10 AM
    Do the following: Install an app called "Phone To Mac". Connect the phone to your mac/pc and open the application. Go to "Itunes backups", open the last backup you made before updating to IOS8. Go to "backup contents-media-media- recordings" and extract the *.m4a files to your desktop. Thats it! Worked for me and I could recover all my voice memos. Hope it works for you too.
    10-16-2014 01:27 PM
    I have exactly the same problem here on a iPhone 6. iOS 8.02
    Voice memos shows up after a reboot of the phone, then seems to try to load the memos, then crash... after launching the app again all is gone and not possible to record....
    10-19-2014 03:20 AM
    Try this: In iTunes, right click (or control click) on the voice memo and select "show in finder"
    A finder window will appear with the voice memo file that you saw in iTunes highlighted.
    Now right click (or control click) on the file and select "open with>" and choose your favorite program for opening sound files (just don't choose the default iTunes).
    Now you can save the file to a different format and different location.
    12-15-2014 11:21 AM
    After my upgrading the iphone to iOS 9.2.1, all my original voice memos are lost. How can I get them back? Thanks.
    02-12-2016 03:44 AM
    Is the recovering software reliable? free?
    02-12-2016 03:45 AM
    This was quite some time ago, so I don't remember the details. However, all of my voice memos came back (possibly after the next update). The only issue is that the original date of recording was not retained. However, I was so happy to have all the messages back that I wasn't bothered the incorrect recording dates. All memos after that have the correct date. I was not aware of any recovery software at the time. I had the memos backed up, so I knew they weren't completely gone. I just wanted them on my phone in the correct place.
    02-12-2016 08:56 AM
    04-12-2016 04:57 AM