Fullscreen caller ID Photo

Mikiii

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I discovered three things as I was fossicking around:
- imported contacts with photos show up small
- if you go to your photos and assign them to a contact they show up small
- however, if you go to the contact, hit edit and assign a photo, they show up large. Don't forget to hit "Done" at the end.

nkez

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
I have a 5s and yesterday took a picture with it.
its saved on my phone and in contacts but calls don't bring it up.
it does show as the round thumbnail across the top of my screen if I double click the button so my recent contact initials appear in a row but phonecalls don't have the pic. I upgraded to 8.something yesterday.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
The contact photo needs to be a large resolution so that when you set it as the contact photo and zoom in to crop the face into the circle the photo also needs to cover the remaining part of the screen. If after zooming in to crop the part of the photo you want to appear in the circle and in doing so the area outside the circle isn't completely covered then it won't appear full screen when they call.

I make sure I use a photo where the persons face is small enough in the original photo so when I zoom in when setting the persons face to fill the circle placeholder the rest of the photo covers the area outside of the circle. It helps to use the same aspect ratio as a portrait iPhone camera photo. If the photo was taken in landscape the the persons face takes up most of the actual photo then it won't work as a contact photo and it will just revert to the small image when they call

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Gmail contacts show small. iCloud contacts show large. Any profile photo you add on yourself shows large.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Gmail contacts show small. iCloud contacts show large. Any profile photo you add on yourself shows large.

Except if the ratio of the photo you add means the photo doesn't cover the whole screen then it reverts to a small photo.

I worked out that when I used photos that were landscape ratio and zoomed in on a face which meant the top part of the area outside the circle wasn't covered then this reverted to the small photo. In the old days of full screen this didn't matter and the full screen caller photo just showed it cropped an inch or two from the top of the screen but now if this is the case it reverts to the small photo.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Except if the ratio of the photo you add means the photo doesn't cover the whole screen then it reverts to a small photo.

I worked out that when I used photos that were landscape ratio and zoomed in on a face which meant the top part of the area outside the circle wasn't covered then this reverted to the small photo. In the old days of full screen this didn't matter and the full screen caller photo just showed it cropped an inch or two from the top of the screen but now if this is the case it reverts to the small photo.

I've noticed many, mostly the iCloud photos I think, blow up too big where the face covers the entire circle. I've compensated in several ways. Usually by making the photo smaller, even if I have to photoshop part of it. Thanks for the info.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed many, mostly the iCloud photos I think, blow up too big where the face covers the entire circle. I've compensated in several ways. Usually by making the photo smaller, even if I have to photoshop part of it. Thanks for the info.

I do the same bud, I either clone stamp the area above their head to make the aspect ratio higher or I crop out some of the width. It's a real pain though isn't it? As you can tell I have OCD so things like this ruin me haha! I've also seen some photos I change suddenly readjust a second or so after tapping done when positioning the face in the placeholder.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I do the same bud, I either clone stamp the area above their head to make the aspect ratio higher or I crop out some of the width. It's a real pain though isn't it? As you can tell I have OCD so things like this ruin me haha! I've also seen some photos I change suddenly readjust a second or so after tapping done when positioning the face in the placeholder.

It is a pain. I had to add several sections of my wife's blouse for her pic to look right. It looks great in contacts, but the photo itself looks weird.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
It is a pain. I had to add several sections of my wife's blouse for her pic to look right. It looks great in contacts, but the photo itself looks weird.

Haha it's so funny but reassuring to hear someone else doing exactly the same as me! The ideal photo to take if you're able to take one on your iPhone is in portrait mode with the head in the centre of the screen and far enough away so that there's roughly enough space to fit the same head above and below your head in the centre of the screen. I basic terms make the head take up a third of the screen and centre aligned. This will look pretty crap if you were taking a normal picture of someone but if your are taking it specifically to use as a contact pic then this is bang on and will work perfectly and also ensure it displays fullscreen when that contact calls you too.

Another tip I have is if you use google drive just create a folder called iPhone Contacts and upload all of your original photos to there incase you need to send them to someone else to use or if you accidentally delete a contact then you don't need to crawl through Facebook and the likes hunting for the perfect front facing photo to use.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Here's an example of one of my contact photos for one of my neighbours. As you can see photo wise it looks badly framed but iOS contacts wise it's perfect aspect ratio. Oh and yeah my OCD extends to create depth of field (blurring background) as it looks awesome on a contact full screen photo when they ring! Try it if you can be bothered!

http://imgur.com/3hYb7gF

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Haha it's so funny but reassuring to hear someone else doing exactly the same as me! The ideal photo to take if you're able to take one on your iPhone is in portrait mode with the head in the centre of the screen and far enough away so that there's roughly enough space to fit the same head above and below your head in the centre of the screen. I basic terms make the head take up a third of the screen and centre aligned. This will look pretty crap if you were taking a normal picture of someone but if your are taking it specifically to use as a contact pic then this is bang on and will work perfectly and also ensure it displays fullscreen when that contact calls you too.

Another tip I have is if you use google drive just create a folder called iPhone Contacts and upload all of your original photos to there incase you need to send them to someone else to use or if you accidentally delete a contact then you don't need to crawl through Facebook and the likes hunting for the perfect front facing photo to use.

I do have a folder in Box titled Avatars. LOL

vox separatum

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
1. Click on the contact info (i) for whom you would like to receive fullscreen incoming call.
2. Click Edit (top right)
3. Click Edit under the contact photo (you will get 4 options)
4. Click Edit Photo (Move & scale options will appear. You don't need to change anything)
5. Click Choose

That's it! Next time that contact incoming will be fullscreen. Tested and working (iOS 8.3) I don't know why this info is not officially available or why something as simple as this is not included within default options.

valQIS

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I found out that every time I sync with my google contacts, on my iPhone 6s, the picture turns back from full screen to small icon. I changed my husband's picture & got the full screen, but when I turned on wi-fi (I don't have it on all of the time); I got the small icon again. I really don't want to re-enter every contact's picture after a sync, but I need to use the internet.

I've read in several (many) other threads that someone is able to have their contacts in iCloud & google. I'd love to know how they did that (I'd like to know how the syncing works, too) & do the contact pictures come up full screen? Up til now, I haven't been using iCloud.

I don't know if this has been addressed (& if this is the proper place) but I have a dilemma with uploading contacts. I have a Apple Macbook Air & found clear instructions on how to load the contacts into the iCloud but I'm concerned how the process will affect my iPhone 6s. I don't know which is worse, the upload doesn't work or I get a duplicates mess.

I went to my iPhone & I changed my iCloud to sync contacts. Then I went to my gmail account to turn off the sync, I got this message "Are you sure you want to continue? All gmail contacts will be removed from you iPhone." Then the message: "DELETE FROM MY iPHONE or CANCEL" - Needless to say, I chose "CANCEL".

Bottom line, which comes first: iPhone or Mac for initial contact upload; getting the picture full size, from what ever source; & finally, the possibility of having contacts on both google & iCloud. (BTW, I did export a .vcf file in case anything fails. That's old programmer in me, always having a back up; & having the possibility of a backup on gmail, really warms my old programmers heart! :heart: ) :)

Last edited:

George Hall

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Thank you!!! Finally, so simple yet worked perfect for me. Apple really should have simple instructions to common things like this readily available on their support area.

1. Click on the contact info (i) for whom you would like to receive fullscreen incoming call.
2. Click Edit (top right)
3. Click Edit under the contact photo (you will get 4 options)
4. Click Edit Photo (Move & scale options will appear. You don't need to change anything)
5. Click Choose

That's it! Next time that contact incoming will be fullscreen. Tested and working (iOS 8.3) I don't know why this info is not officially available or why something as simple as this is not included within default options.

George in NY

LilliaNicole

Jun 1, 2017
Visit site
Has anyone figured out the rules for caller ID photos showing up full screen again?

I have some contacts that do and some that don't. I'm guessing it is a photo quality issue.

Has anyone figured this out?

If you go to the actual photo in your Camera Roll, and assign it to a contact, it'll show up full screen when they call.

If you want it as a thumbnail, you go to the contact, click edit, and then edit the thumbnail photo.

It worked for me! good luck

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen