Ever since updating my iPad Air to iOs 8 and getting my iPhone 6, remote hotspot is no longer working.

It is activated with my carrier (Verizon), turned on on the iPhone and shows up under the Wifi settings on my iPad (it is different, though--it shows up under Personal Hotspots and displays the name of my iPhone, signal strength, which network and battery).

However, when I click that, I get the following message:

"Remote Hotspot Failure. Unable to start personal hotspot "Mike Elmendorf's iPhone"

In fact, I've only been able to connect to the iPhone hotspot once since the update on the iPad/new phone.

A Google search suggests I'm not the only one seeing this, but as of yet there seems to be no solution.

Any ideas out there? I thought this was supposed to work better with continuity....
    09-26-2014 03:01 PM
    I don't have an iPad Air to test it out for you, however, I do have an iPhone 5 running iOS 8.0.2 and a MacBook (early 2009) running OS X Mavericks v10.9.5, and as you can see from the screenshots, I am having no problems getting my MacBook to connect to my iPhone 5's personal hotspot feature.

Remote Hotspot Failure - iOs 8-screen-shot-2014-09-26-4.58.06-pm.png

Remote Hotspot Failure - iOs 8-screen-shot-2014-09-26-4.58.25-pm.png
    09-26-2014 05:03 PM
    Ever since updating my iPad Air to iOs 8 and getting my iPhone 6, remote hotspot is no longer working.

It is activated with my carrier (Verizon), turned on on the iPhone and shows up under the Wifi settings on my iPad (it is different, though--it shows up under Personal Hotspots and displays the name of my iPhone, signal strength, which network and battery).

However, when I click that, I get the following message:

"Remote Hotspot Failure. Unable to start personal hotspot "Mike Elmendorf's iPhone"

In fact, I've only been able to connect to the iPhone hotspot once since the update on the iPad/new phone.

A Google search suggests I'm not the only one seeing this, but as of yet there seems to be no solution.

Any ideas out there? I thought this was supposed to work better with continuity....
    10-15-2014 01:40 PM
    I am having the same problem. I have a iPhone 6 plus and a iPad mini retina. Anyone else having this problem?
    10-15-2014 01:42 PM
    I was having that problem ever since I got the 6. However, recently it has been working fine. I dunno what happened. I didn't change anything.
    10-15-2014 11:55 PM
    It is really annoying me too - my mini won't connect when I try to tether and all I get is the same message as you - remote hotspot failure. I really hope 8.1 fixes it or I'll take it to Apple and ask for some kind of remedial action. You are not alone!
    10-18-2014 05:12 PM
    Strangest thing I tried today using my iPhone 6 plus and it's now working. Very strange..
    10-19-2014 02:05 AM
    I have had this problem since iOS 8's introduction as well. I've tried a variety of things: reset network settings, etc.

The one thing that I found worked is by changing the name of your iPhone, in Settings--> General--> About --> Name
    12-30-2014 04:03 PM