iOS 8.0.2 released. Feedback/bugs

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
didn't scroll down far enough. Are any of 'em a big deal expect "wi-fi networking & "cell network search" if you have allof 'em turned OFF will wifi or call network work?

No problem. I also have location based iads, setting time zone, share my location and frequent locations turned off. Those I deff don't need on

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
what are the cell networking & the wi-Fi networking used for if they are turned off & the phone will still work

The cell network you definitely want to leave on-it keeps your phone better "connected" to the cell towers in your area. As for wifi networking that is also to keep you zoned into with hotspots in whatever area your in if you use free public Wi-Fi.

dalaen

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I believe they are used to augment GPS to better determine your location especially inside buildings where you do not have line-of-sight to a GPS satellite but location can be triangulated via cell towers or known wifi hotspots.
Apple is actually crowd-sourcing WiFi hotspots to build a database binding WiFi hotspots and their locations.
For example, if you have an accurate location on your phone, Apple will know where are located the WiFi hotspots found around you, and give it to its database (if you're allowing this in your settings).

Then, when you need accurate location, it will look what WiFi hotspots are around you, compare it with its database, and this enables quick location.

Full documentation on this here: Understanding privacy and Location Services on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with iOS 8
It's actually really interesting. :)

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
So far so good with iPhone 6, OTA upgrade. Touch, cellular and WiFi work as expected.

I'm an IT director and have reports of some users who did the upgrade and they're fine too including with new hardware.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Working fine so far. How do I add in a keyboard that I just installed for my default keyboard?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411756218.317378.jpg I want to add this one.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Anyone having problems playing videos on Safari? Of any kind from whatever site? Making the OS just freeze and stall. Videos don't play.

6 Plus

goldmagpie

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
8.0 was running nicely with no issues on my 5s.
Did the upgrade to 8.0.2 before lunch, and when I went out for lunch I had some wifi connectivity issues on the hotspot at the restaurant I was at, which normally I don't there.
But I'm not gonna worry until I get home and try my home wifi, as maybe they were having a crappy wifi day - no need to blame poor 8.0.2 unless justified.
Only other thing that happened was that I was checking some of the settings on the phone and the settings app froze up and I couldn't get out. Had to kill it. That's never happened to me on this phone ever - it has always run really well for me. So I'll watch for that, maybe just a fluke.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
This may be off topic, or in the wrong place. And maybe an IOS 8 bug I don't know.

Anyhow, I upload all my photos back to my 5C.

I notice that several photos are missing.

I go into Google Drive, because that's where the location was that I chose to upload from.

Three sets of folders were missing.

I went into One Drive, and the exact same folders were missing.

I never deleted those folders or the pictures that were in there.

So where they went is a complete mystery to me.

Edit: I wasn't paying attention. I forgot the missing folders are sub folders within another folder. All is good with my photos.:p

Last edited:

michikade

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I have my 6+ and my iPad 2 (and the five I kept) running 8.0.2 - no issues so far with the 6+ and iPad 2, and the iPad seems snappier than it did with 8 so that's s bonus.

The 5 crashed while installing 8.0.2 and I had to do an iTunes restore. I really am not sure what went wrong, but the install got corrupted and it required a recovery. Done now, no problem, and luckily I had just backed up my iPhone 6+ so I recovered my iPhone 5 to that to get about 90% of the apps I wanted back.

Sent from my shiny new iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
In iOS 8, you can change the order of the options at the bottom of Safari. You swipe the options to the left and tap "more".
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411763991.193335.jpg

Then change the order.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411764023.058396.jpg

Problem is, they revert back the way they were. Anyone notice this?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

dixie dregs

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Well after doing my iPad and 5 I did my 6 today very smooth install. I have not noticed if it runs faster I think because it was very snappy before the update. All is well in ios land again!