Swiftkey vs Swype: Which one is better and what are the advantages over one another?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Been using Swype since 2011 on and off. I've tried all the popular keyboards available and found Swype to be the fastest keyboard for one handed use. Swiftkey is the fastest for two handed use.

I can pull off 65-70 WPM one handed with Swype, one handed:
View attachment 67607
As compared to which other keyboard's WPM? Does Swype have the option to remove a predictive word from the predictive dictionary? SwiftKey has that option. Try long pressing on a word and see if it offers that option. Here it is in SwiftKey:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412702590.399334.jpg

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Scorpion667

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Swype has the same word removal method.

I've tried:
Google keyboard
Samsung keyboard
Touchpal
Swiftkey
Swype

I've owned way too many Android phones that's why I'm pretty familiar with those.

Swiftkey is impressive in that, I can type cohesive sentences while ridiculously drunk, and I'm not even close to hitting the correct keys. Their engine is really good. It looks at your tap in relation to your previous taps and kinda maps out the word that way.

Swiftkey flow has an unacceptable flaw in my view in that after I swipe a word it doesn't give me a list of which words it thinks I tried to put down, but rather tries to guess my next word. I then have to backspace and retry the word, extremely annoying. But the actually Flow engine is pretty good, just they are stubborn about that feature. It's key.

At the end of the day you can't go wrong with either keyboard. Unless you're a die hard Swype fan like myself (I literally learned how to type on smartphones only using Swype) probably best to grab Swiftkey as it's free.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Swiftkey vs Swype: Which one is better and what are the advantages over one a...

Swype has the same word removal method.

I've tried:
Google keyboard
Samsung keyboard
Touchpal
Swiftkey
Swype

I've owned way too many Android phones that's why I'm pretty familiar with those.

Swiftkey is impressive in that, I can type cohesive sentences while ridiculously drunk, and I'm not even close to hitting the correct keys. Their engine is really good. It looks at your tap in relation to your previous taps and kinda maps out the word that way.

Swiftkey flow has an unacceptable flaw in my view in that after I swipe a word it doesn't give me a list of which words it thinks I tried to put down, but rather tries to guess my next word. I then have to backspace and retry the word, extremely annoying. But the actually Flow engine is pretty good, just they are stubborn about that feature. It's key.

At the end of the day you can't go wrong with either keyboard. Unless you're a die hard Swype fan like myself (I literally learned how to type on smartphones only using Swype) probably best to grab Swiftkey as it's free.

I don't use Swype. I have tried it but I can't see under my finger at what letter I'm on. I've gotten pretty good at predictive typing. I wonder why the stock keyboard has no word removal feature?

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
As compared to which other keyboard's WPM? Does Swype have the option to remove a predictive word from the predictive dictionary? SwiftKey has that option. Try long pressing on a word and see if it offers that option. Here it is in SwiftKey:
View attachment 67608

Is that the iMore app? if so, how did you changed it to a black theme? It looks really nice!

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Swype still can't be used on the lockscreen when replying to notifications. I thought they would have fixed this by now.

Sent from my Space Grey, 128 GB, iPhone 6 Plus (that took 5 weeks to ship to me through AT&T) using Tapatalk

iJedi

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I tried to like Swiftkey but the swipe accuracy when compared with Swype was just abysmal. I don't need predictive text, personally so it's Swype all the way. Worth the $0.99 imho.

SynSixx Snow

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
The lag is present if you're on iOS 8 because in all honesty, your phone (All 4S models) do not have the proper hardware to really run iOS 8 well. Much like the 4 can't do iOS 7.1.2 or the 3GS with iOS 6.1.3 to it's optimal potential. The lag is there because the phone doesn't have the power to process the OS along with everything that's loading in most all applications. I have every iPhone made thus far except the 6 and 6+ and all of them are on their latest softwares. The 4 does a terrible job at handling 7.1.2..kinda sad because of how beastly the phone was when it came out. But I digress, the 4S and honestly the 5 and 5C don't really have the hardware to move fluidly in iOS 8+. The 4S handles better being jailbroken on 7.1.2 for a Swype integrated keyboard (That's still pushing the processor quite a bit though).

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner