Can't backup to iCloud after updating to iOS 8 (Not enough space)

Toymaker

Nov 24, 2008
Visit site
Since updating to iOS 8 on my iPhone 5, I can't seem to do a backup any more. It says I don't have enough space to do a backup. Did something change? Is there a quick fix to correct this?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Have you added more content to your phone since the update? Like pictures that would cause it to go beyond your allowed iCloud storage?

ryan2714

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I am having this same issue, and no its not bc I have another phone backed up on the same account. For iOS 7.1.2 my phone used 14.5GB of iCloud storage. Since the update to iOS 8 iCloud is saying that I need an additional 22GB?!? I don't know whats wrong. No I didn't put anything new on my phone, I actually have less stuff on my phone bc I had to make room for the over the air update.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I am having this same issue, and no its not bc I have another phone backed up on the same account. For iOS 7.1.2 my phone used 14.5GB of iCloud storage. Since the update to iOS 8 iCloud is saying that I need an additional 22GB?!? I don't know whats wrong. No I didn't put anything new on my phone, I actually have less stuff on my phone bc I had to make room for the over the air update.

Did you get a new phone?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
No sir still the same old iphone 5

You should delete the backup already on iCloud and then backup once again. I've had this happen to me before where if I restored my phone as new, that same phone wouldn't backup onto iCloud due to an error. I deleted the backup on storage and backed up again.

austriak

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
You should delete the backup already on iCloud and then backup once again. I've had this happen to me before where if I restored my phone as new, that same phone wouldn't backup onto iCloud due to an error. I deleted the backup on storage and backed up again.

This is the answer. For some reason with IOS 8, it is trying to save it as a new iCloud backup instead of replacing /updating your ios 7 one.

ryan2714

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Finally had the chance to do this over the weekend and it worked like a charm! Thank you guys. I think what the issue was is that iOS 8 wants to duplicate the camera roll and save both the iOS 7 & 8 rolls. Before the delete of the old back up iCloud wanted around 25gb to backup camera roll and after the delete and re-backup camera roll was down to around 12.5gb.

Kaitokomauri

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The problem is really nagging when you have multiple iOS devices. I have an iPad and and iPhone and both are being backed up to the same iCloud account - I keep both in sync with one iCloud account. I get the error message on both devices and also another message, saying that "this device hasn't been backed up for 3 weeks". Solution: back up iPhone to computer instead of to the iCloud:

http://www.copytrans.net/support/there-is-not-enough-icloud-storage-available-to-backup-iphone/

or pay Apple for more iCloud space.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711