Why is there a 2-second lag when answering calls after upgrading to iOS 8?

elvisx77

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
After updating to iOS 8 I ve noticed about 2 seconds lag from the moment I answer the call and the moment the caller can actually hear me speaking. I have an iPhone 5s and an iPhone 5. Both suffering from the same issue. Any idea why?

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I've not noticed this on either my 5s or 6 at all. Are all your phones on the same carrier?

I take it you didn't have this issue on ioS 7.x.x at all?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I've noticed this lag also. It's also the same lag that I get if I'm playing audio, receive a call, hang up, and the audio has about a 2 second lag before it continues.

elvisx77

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
The problem remains even after iOS 8.02 update. It's annoying as hell cos the phone ringing continues for few seconds even after answering an incoming call.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've trained myself to wait a couple of seconds before saying "Hello". That works.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
That 2 second lag also occurs when the phone is unlocked and I decline a call.

The betas gave me trouble with phone calls. On the GM someone called me on my 5S, I answered, and the phone screen disappeared but I had the green multitask bar at the top showing it was still on a call. Tapping that or the phone icon took my nowhere all the while the call is still going on.

wncol2004

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I have to disagree. I just upgraded from IOS 7 to IOS 8 and the lag was not there on IOS 7. It is very irritating. if I could downgrade back to 7, I would.
Highly recommend others to wait to upgrade till they fix this issue.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Les and Led captured what I've experienced with iPhones since the 4S. Delay is there every time. Have been on Verizon, though not sure if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Features are nothing without performance, this is a clear example how Apple is bullsh$&@g its users.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/11/20/ios-8-1-1-iphone-4s-ipad-2-test/

View attachment 71904

From my previous experience iOS7.1.2 is the best when it comes to performance. FYI I'm using a 5S.

For the .25 seconds more it takes to load settings or the .6 secs more it takes to load safari, I'll take IOS 8 with the myriad of improvements over IOS 7 any day of the week.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I've had the same delay for the past couple of years now. As a test I got someone to call me and I answered and started counting 1...2...3...4... And then asked the caller what was the first number they heard and it was nearly always 2!!

Really not sure what it is as it never used to do this and it's happened on various iPhone versions and iOS releases. It's really annoying when you answer the phone "Hello...." Then hear nothing so say hello again!

mooch91

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Looks like I'm the odd man out, but I USED to have this problem with iOS 7 and it went away with the 8 upgrade. I always updated 7 OTA and have done all of my 8 updates with iTunes, if that makes any difference.

Sent from my mobile device.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
And here I was thinking I was 'dreaming' stuff up! Yes, I've noticed this, too. I initially thought this was only on my iPad, and when using the answering call feature on it. To me it was 'moving' the call from the iPhone to the iPad, and thus I simply respected the delay. But, now, well...

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I swipe to answer and when the timer/counter shows 0.00, I place the phone on my ear. And yes there is a noticeable delay while answering calls.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro