Best 'widget' apps?

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have a list of their favorite widget apps for the notification center?

I like:
Clear, Sky Guide, and some of the News apps.

Looking for more!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I like Widget and Yahoo Weather so far. Still experimenting
eharyrat.jpg
vy9a6u8u.jpg

e9e5y8em.jpg

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I sure hope Fantastical adds widget support soon!

You can use the Launcher app with its widget to use URL-Schemes or open Apps directly from Notification Center.

You can for example create different actions which will be available as icons like:
1. Open fantastical
2. Open fantastical and create a new event
3. Open fantastical and create a new reminder

Just try it, it works awesome. I use it to create entries with other apps like Week cal, OmniFocus, Drafts etc.

If you have any questions or problems with the URL-schemes then just ask, I can help you to set it up right 😊

Link to Launcher app:
?Launcher - Favorites at your Fingertips? from Cromulent Labs
https://appsto.re/de/iLR81.i

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
You can use the Launcher app with its widget to use URL-Schemes or open Apps directly from Notification Center.

You can for example create different actions which will be available as icons like:
1. Open fantastical
2. Open fantastical and create a new event
3. Open fantastical and create a new reminder

Just try it, it works awesome. I use it to create entries with other apps like Week cal, OmniFocus, Drafts etc.

If you have any questions or problems with the URL-schemes then just ask, I can help you to set it up right 

Link to Launcher app:
„Launcher - Favorites at your Fingertips“ from Cromulent Labs
https://appsto.re/de/iLR81.i

Not what I’m looking for. I don’t want a way to launch Fantastical. I want the Fantastical widget to display my calendar events in the NC - and have the ability to click through to Fantastical if/when I choose.

Using a launcher widget is counterproductive for me. Why go to the NC screen to launch an app that is already on my home page? It only takes one click on the icon on my home page vs the gyrations of getting to the NC page and then clicking the launcher icon to open the Fantastical (or other) app.

Last edited:

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
You can't place stuff in the lock screen, only to the Notification Center, (but I think that's what you meant).

I'm sure they'll also create a calendar widget for Notification Center, but until then you can just use the calendar widget from other apps and use the Launcher app to quickly create entries.

For me opening the Notification Center is easier and less annoying then pressing the home button, I prefer swipes. It doesn't just open the app, it opens the app to a specific place/configuration, e.g. the entry will be defiantly a reminder

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So far I like Yahoo weather because it shows local photos. Also Calendars 5 and Launcher. Launcher is cool for shortcuts to Settings features.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411572714.909102.jpg

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

iKev

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I prefer using Launcher to perform other tasks (like quick-dialing my wife, for instance). I don't use Launcher to just launch an app. Additionally, I want to be able to see my calendar at a glance from the lock screen (in the Notification Center).

rgm1266

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
How did you get it so the default weather info doesn't show up on your notification screen?

Thanks

Edit: Found the answer. My bad!!

Last edited:

iKev

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Just got an email back from them:

-------------------------------
iOS 8 is here, but extensions for Fantastical 2 aren?t. What?s up with that? The short answer is it?s not ready yet, but it will be soon! We wanted to share a bit more about our iOS 8 plans so that everyone isn?t in the dark.

First, Fantastical 2.1.2 is now available and includes full compatibility for iOS 8.

Next, we just submitted Fantastical 2.1.3 to bring native display support for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, so everyone getting a new phone will be able to take advantage of the larger screens. This update will support both iOS 7 and iOS 8.

Looking a bit further into the future, another free update featuring a Notification Center widget and action extension will be coming in the next few weeks. This second update will be available only for iOS 8, so be sure to upgrade to iOS 8 in order to take advantage of all the new features that iOS 8 has to offer!

As always, thanks for using Fantastical!
------------------------------------

So, looks like we'll have widget support in the next few weeks, hopefully.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I prefer using Launcher to perform other tasks (like quick-dialing my wife, for instance). I don't use Launcher to just launch an app. Additionally, I want to be able to see my calendar at a glance from the lock screen (in the Notification Center).
I'll remove the apps from Launcher. I've just been experimenting. However, if you have a whole lot of apps, and a bunch are in folders, it does make it quick to launch those you use a lot. Thing is, I use a lot a lot. :D

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Haven't experimented with widgets yet. Great thread!

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6