I used to like my iPhone until the iOS8 update.

Michael Brown20

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
This update destroyed so much of what I loved about this phone! I'm amazed that I had to delete so much of what was on my phone to be able to do this update, to then realize it took hardly any of the space I created.
What went wrong with this iOS 8?
Other friends are having issues; loosing valuable information, passwords that were kept in notes that vanished, photos that were saved and more.
Disappointed and totally disgusted

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: I use to like my iPhone

Why did you not just upgrade connected to iTunes and not have do delete anything?

This update destroyed so much of what I loved about this phone! I'm amazed that I had to delete so much of what was on my phone to be able to do this update, to then realize it took hardly any of the space I created.
Other friends are having issues; loosing valuable information, passwords that were kept in notes that vanished, photos that were saved and more.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site

You could have connected to iTunes and not had to delete anything. All over the air updates require much more space available than they actually take up. This is true for all mobile operating systems. I haven't heard about anyone losing anything. But the fact that people don't back up to iTunes before updating the OS baffles me.

ಠ益ಠ

austriak

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

This is pretty much the same comment every ios update. It is the "I lost all my data, battery life is terrible now, etc...". I don't get it. Update went smoothly and perfectly for my 5s, ipad air, and my wife's ipad mini.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

This is pretty much the same comment every ios update. It is the "I lost all my data, battery life is terrible now, etc...". I don't get it. Update went smoothly and perfectly for my 5s, ipad air, and my wife's ipad mini.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was going to comment this before I saw yours. It seems that every time a big OTA update hits, people lose some kind of data on their phone. I don't know how much more Apple can push iCloud, but maybe they need to push it more than they do.

ne0stai2dust

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

just a rule of thumb, a backup is always suggested before any type of update to the phone. Another potential way to save info is to save data (pictures/music/etc) on your own cloud drive like a WD My Cloud.

the personal apple iCloud storage isnt usually enough. and the iCloud Photo Steam can only save 1000 photos a month and then starts to delete them on their own.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

just a rule of thumb, a backup is always suggested before any type of update to the phone. Another potential way to save info is to save data (pictures/music/etc) on your own cloud drive like a WD My Cloud.

the personal apple iCloud storage isnt usually enough. and the iCloud Photo Steam can only save 1000 photos a month and then starts to delete them on their own.

I have never had a problem with iCloud backups in all the times I have used them. But I also do use Onedrive also.

And the 1000 photos is no longer in use. Once you change over to iCloud Drive the only thing that will limit photos is the space you purchase in the cloud.

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I have never had a problem with iCloud backups in all the times I have used them. But I also do use Onedrive also.

And the 1000 photos is no longer in use. Once you change over to iCloud Drive the only thing that will limit photos is the space you purchase in the cloud.
I wander how many people will have no clue about this and they will fill up their 5GB in no time and never realize they need to buy more space to keep backing up their phone. And eventualy their phone will stop backing up. Apple shouldn't have done this. They should have kept phone back up separately. Most people that don't come to these forums are clueless.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

It's a shame you had this issue. Nothing went wrong with iOS 8 at all. I think it may be that you were potentially unaware of how the OTA update works, like a lot of people. It's not a problem, it's why you have support communities such as this to help you. No-one can be expected to know everything about everything so please don't take this as a disparaging remark at all. It's offered in friendship and a genuine desire to help you. :)

Personally, it all went smoothly. I backed up before updating, as is recommended, and everything went through fine. I used OTA on my iPad and iTunes to update my 5s and experienced no issues at all. I do understand and appreciate that my experience is not indicative of everyone though.

Remember, on an Over The Air update, your device needs to download and cache the install files before installing them so it will ALWAYS take up more space at first before the install files are cleaned after successful installation.. On your computer, it is the computer that downloads and caches the install files ready for installation on your device, so you will never need as much space free on your device. It's the way its always been with software like this and other platforms experience exactly the same, as was mentioned above. I had a similar space issue when I upgraded my HTC One from Android 4.3 to 4.4.

You have a right to be disappointed and disgusted and I would be the same if perhaps I hadn't fully understood the instructions before doing something and had lost data because of it too. In fact, I remember feeling exactly the same as you on an iOS install a good few years back but once I understood what I was supposed to do, it went through fine.

I hope you get it sorted, I really do, and please stick around on the forums and continue to be a valued member. It's times like this where iMore attracts new members and where those of us who have been here a while need to reach out and be understanding to issues that arise from members such as your good self.

Steve Fuentes

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

Notifications stopped working after update would randomly get some sound on the ones coming was off then they stopped working all together after a few hours they resumed worked for a couple of days and now they have stopped coming again both my iphone and ipad air are doing the same so I dont think is device related.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I updated the day it was released OTA without any problems. I always do OTA and I've never had a problem. Backup to iCloud folks. Good luck.

Oofa

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't have any complaints about iOS8 on my 5s. Everything runs as it should and I didn't lose anything. I also didn't gain anything. I find just about everything 'new' in iOS8 to be at best, a shoulder shrug.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore Michael

It appears everything is covered but I wanted to welcome you and hope things work better in the future

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
OTA here, and no issues. I never have "lost" anything with an OTA update. I did delete some things to make room for the 5.7 gb install.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR