Now that we have family share (which I love) I have one dilemma. I thought I would have to approve family purchases, but it doesn't appear to work that way. With one of my sons, I don't have to worry, but with my other one I'm afraid he's going to buy 10,000 dingle berries as an IAP in one of his freemium games and I'll get a $50 charge on my credit card.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening short of not adding his account to family share?
    09-19-2014 03:37 PM
    Yes, on your son's device, go to Settings - General - Restrictions, and after enabling restrictions disable "In-App Purchases".
    09-19-2014 04:50 PM
    Yes, on your son's device, go to Settings - General - Restrictions, and after enabling restrictions disable "In-App Purchases".
    Is there any way to prevent him from buying apps(on the family share card) without my permission?
    09-19-2014 08:15 PM
    Is there any way to prevent him from buying apps(on the family share card) without my permission?
    The "Ask to Buy" feature may be helpful if the child is under the age of 18. Check out the information in detail via the following link.

Request and make purchases with Ask to Buy
    blessed2bamommie likes this.
    09-19-2014 08:25 PM
    The "Ask to Buy" feature may be helpful if the child is under the age of 18. Check out the information in detail via the following link.

Request and make purchases with Ask to Buy
    Both of my boys are under 18, but both show up as "adult" in my family share settings.
    09-19-2014 08:39 PM
    In the family share setting you have to go to the bottom and click on create an apple id for a child.
    09-19-2014 08:44 PM
    In the family share setting you have to go to the bottom and click on create an apple id for a child.
    What happens if he already has an iTunes account? Will that replace the current account?
    09-19-2014 08:46 PM
    That I'm not sure about I went into it but haven't gone any further.
    jkeitz likes this.
    09-19-2014 08:47 PM
    Both of my boys are under 18, but both show up as "adult" in my family share settings.
    You may have to login to https://appleid.apple.com (Manage your Apple ID) to edit their birth dates. Once you login with their credentials, you should see the date of birth at the bottom of the screen.
    jkeitz likes this.
    09-19-2014 08:49 PM
    You may have to login to https://appleid.apple.com (Manage your Apple ID) to edit their birth dates. Once you login with their credentials, you should see the date of birth at the bottom of the screen.
    Nope. Can't do it. I tried it with my kids. And I talked to apple support and they wouldn't change it either. Luckily both my kids's ages show as teens (even though they have 7 & 11) so I could still turn on Ask to Buy. And apparently at this time you can't make an existing appleid as a child account under family sharing. They still have a bit to get worked out with this feature.
    jkeitz and Just_Me_D like this.
    09-19-2014 09:06 PM
    Nope. Can't do it. I tried it with my kids. And I talked to apple support and they wouldn't change it either. Luckily both my kids's ages show as teens (even though they have 7 & 11) so I could still turn on Ask to Buy. And apparently at this time you can't make an existing appleid as a child account under family sharing. They still have a bit to get worked out with this feature.
    Oh okay, thanks, Karen....
    09-19-2014 09:19 PM
    I spent two hours trying to set this up too until I figured that out ... also the family member can not use my iTunes Match either that's a deal breaker I turned it all off and am using my method of my kids don't know my password lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-19-2014 09:25 PM
    I spent two hours trying to set this up too until I figured that out ... also the family member can not use my iTunes Match either that's a deal breaker I turned it all off and am using my method of my kids don't know my password lol

What issues did you have with the match.y wife and kids are using it.
    09-19-2014 09:28 PM
    Match users have to be signed into the same iTunes account. If you are using Family Sharing each person has a separate appleid but can share purchases. The shared purchases apparently doesn't extend to match.
    Peligro911 likes this.
    09-19-2014 09:37 PM
    If you have family share turned on Match only shows if logged in on my Apple ID

09-19-2014 09:38 PM
    I just downloaded my music into my sons phone via family share with no issues. So maybe I'm missing something.
    09-19-2014 10:18 PM
    I just downloaded my music into my sons phone via family share with no issues. So maybe I'm missing something.
    Yep that works. But not if the organizer's Apple ID has iTunes Match. ,
    09-19-2014 10:56 PM
    Well I have iTunes Match and I'm the organizer.
    09-19-2014 10:56 PM
    Any other updates on this. Still working for my family.
    09-20-2014 05:32 PM